Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Reviews

May 1, 2017
Dr. Strangelove is one of Kubrick's best comedies; incorporates dark humor in ways only Kubrick can. Dr. Strangelove is, just like any other Kubrick film, beautifully produced and filmed.
April 22, 2017
Stanley Kubrick's dark, satirical comedy about the Cold War, is without a doubt, funny with Peter Sellers and George C. Scott in their respective roles
April 22, 2017
Until I saw this movie I never knew how good of an actor Peter Sellers actually was.
½ April 12, 2017
A brilliant and funny film. Dr. Strangelove shows the madness of nuclear war.
April 9, 2017
This might be the better executed satiric comedy ever! Kubrick decided to make a funnier approach to the war movie genre after "Paths of Glory" and, with "Dr. Strangelove", he finaly got the attention he deserved since the beggining. The hilariously built characters and the movie's serious tone helped surprising the audience gradually!
½ April 4, 2017
In mine and many other people's opinions, I feel like Kubrick is one of the best directors of all time. He has made many films which are widely considered to be the best of their genre. "Paths of Glory" (1957) is widely considered to be one of the best war films, "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) is widely considered to be one of the best sci-fi films, "The Shining" (1980) is widely considered to be one of the best horror films, "A Clockwork Orange" (1971) is widely considered to be one of the best violent films, and "Dr. Strangelove" (1964) is widely considered to be one of the best comedies.

After an insane general named "Jack D. Ripper" triggers a plan to start a nuclear holocaust, a room full of generals and politicians desperately attempt to stop him before it's too late.

Before watching this, one would not expect for it to be a comedy since it's about a nuclear holocaust, a serious topic. However, I was very impressed with how Stanley Kubrick went and did it anyways. I feel like this is actually a very good topic to make a film off of. With that being said, it succeeds on different aspects of comedy.

One of the reasons why the comedy in this film works so good is how they get delayed so much. While President Merkin Muffley is warning Russia of the attacks, their conversation gets drawn out, and it makes the audience ask "Shouldn't they be trying to hurry?" In most other films, this would be a flaw, but since this is a comedy, this can be excused as it represents more about the comedy. Another great scene is when the U.S. army tries to take over a base with Ripper inside in hopes of finding the recall code to get the planes to abort their mission. Kubrick takes advantage of every single way how this scene could be drawn out, and it leaves the audience laughing at how unlucky everyone is getting. I'm not going to spoil how this film ends, but it's a really great scene which uses this concept.

Another great thing about this film is some of its dialogue. My favorite line from the film is: "Gentlemen, you can't fight here! This is the war room!" It's a simple line, but it's very effective. Also, some of the one-liners kind of take into effect its comedy where it delays scenes. For example, the scene where Gen. "Buck" Turgidson explains Ripper's plan to Merkin Muffley is full of many funny quotes like: "Well sir, I would say that General Ripper has already invalidated that policy!". Also, there is the classic ending quote.

Finally, there are some jokes that you have to think about in order to get what they mean. Some of them are even left up to interpretation for what they mean. For example, the scene at the end where the Russian ambassador steps away from everyone, and does something with his watch takes a bit of thinking to determine what he's doing, and how that ties in with another scene. Also, the classic quote at the end: "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk" has a ton of interpretations that can come from it. Another ambiguous joke is the increasing level of "Alien Hand Syndrome" that Dr. Strangelove experiences throughout the film. Finally, there can even be discussion for what the title of the film, and its alternate title mean, and why Kubrick chose those 2 titles for the film.

One thing I really like Kubrick for is how he tells simple, yet grand stories with his films. The comedy in this one represents that real well because the more I think about the comedy in this film, the more impressive and mind-blowing it seems.

Another great thing I got to mention about this film is its great acting. It is actually very easy for me to decide who my favorite actor is in this film, and it seems like a very obvious choice. My favorite actor from this film was Peter Sellers. He plays 3 different characters (Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley, and Dr. Strangelove). I don't think that his performance was weak for any of these characters, and he gave a magnificent performance for all of them. However, my favorite character that he played was Dr. Strangelove. He is able to act in a weird and goofy tone without ever being annoying. It's hard for an actor to successfully accomplish this, but he did it exceptionally well. His other 2 roles were also great and believable as well. Without a doubt, he stole the show.

While Sellers is clearly the best, that's not to say that there weren't any other actors who blew me away. In fact, if I could give almost equal credit to another actor who did a great job as well, it would be George C. Scott as General "Buck" Turgidson. He also gave a convincing performance, and he stood out a lot as well. Other great actors include Slim Pickens as Major "King" Kong for his consistent, upbeat attitude that he maintained throughout the film; even at times of despair, Sterling Hayden as Jack D. Ripper for his way of sounding like this was a real life, serious film; not a comedy film, and Peter Bull as Alexi de Sadesky because of the suspicious tone he had which unintentionally gave him some charm.

In conclusion, this is another masterpiece in Kubrick's brilliant body of work. It hits numerous layers of comedy that can sometimes be pretty deep - this evokes Kubrick's talent of making simple, yet grand stories. Also, the acting is really good as well, especially coming from Sellers who played 3 roles exceptionally. It's no wonder why Kubrick is considered to be so good by his fans, and he continues to impress me even more every time I watch another one of his films.
April 2, 2017
The doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction is satirised in this classic black comedy. The film's points hit home and it is full of memorable lines and familiar scenes. With the cold war long over, this evinces respect more than laughter, though to be fair it does keep you hooked until the end. George C Scott is painfully over the top as Buck Turgidson. Apparantly Kubrick wanted the role played that way and tricked Scott into it. The rest of the cast is excellent, especially Peter Sellers as a bemused RAF officer (one of three parts he plays).
April 1, 2017
" Comedy" that tries to make fun of communism without a single laugh. Aged badly.
March 27, 2017
Considering Sellers was supposed to play MORE roles and the movie was entirely shot in three major rooms, Kubrick STILL delivers a pound-for-pound heavyweight in cinematography and the darkest of comedies. On my weekly "must-watch" list.
March 24, 2017
This movie is a masterpiece!
March 21, 2017
This film should be required viewing to graduate public school. It is quintessential, original and wildly funny, while being deadly serious and real. Wahoo!
March 20, 2017
The most intelligent - & at the same time most daft comedy ever made. Impossible to surpass though many have tried. A golden cast & director all on top form.
March 19, 2017
What a brilliant movie. And Peter Sellers excels in the two roles he plays in this movie. Stanley Kubrick at his best!
March 2, 2017
I appreciate the Cold War satire, but for the most part, I prefer its seriousness to its attempts at humor, which, sadly, ultimately fall flat for me.
February 24, 2017
An excellent period piece with hilarious acting by Peter Sellers. Plenty of clever jokes and hilarious acting from the other cast members as well
February 23, 2017
Stanley Kubrick hits his target again with a satirical classic solidified in movie history. George C Scott gives a hilarious performance which seems to symbolize the buffoonery one might suspect that high ranking military officials might possess. Though his performance is quite good, I know that his original intention was to play the character less goofy, but was tricked by Kubrick into doing "practice" takes where he goes over the top and then they would do another more serious take. Kubrick just went ahead and used the practice takes which led to Scott deciding never to work with him again. I have a deep respect for Kubrick and Scott and the actor in me wants to believe that maybe the actor's intuition was to be trusted, but my intuition tends to tell me that perhaps Kubrick's vision was more correct. Still I wonder what Scott's desired performance was and how it would have measured up in the film. Both Scott and Kubrick played chess and Scott lost to Kubrick more often. So, maybe that's indicative of a correct decision on Kubrick's part.

However, the standout performance has to be Peter Seller's brief expression of the titular character, who though has barely any screen time is completely arresting when present. The performance is iconic and a complete testament to the total screen presence Sellers had. In a weird way, Peter Sellers stole the movie, not only from other characters, but also his other own characters.

Kubrick's amount of detail is incredible. The cockpit of the plane seemed absolutely convincing to me and it came as no surprise to me that I would read that it was absolutely accurate to what it would look like. The plot is fully explained. And the genius is that it's explained in a comical way so that even the dialogue never seems boring because it's all so perfectly preposterous. Kubrick's instincts were right about making this a dark satire. If the movie had been delivered straight as a drama it might have just been laughable.
February 23, 2017
One of Stanley Kubrick's best films with an iconic performance from Peter Sellers.
February 20, 2017
Brilliant satire that holds up perfectly today, thanks to a superb cast and Kubrick accurately pointing out how absurd mutually assured destruction is. The main highlight of the cast is Peter Sellers, who is unrecognizable between his three roles of Dr. Strangelove, Pres.Muffley & Cap. Mandrake, giving each a distinct performance & look. Whether it's Dr. Strangelove's eccentric fights with his mechanical arm or Pres. Muffley's hilarious phone call to the Soviet Prime Minister, it is truly the finest work of one of the greatest comedic actors in history. That's not to say the rest of the cast doesn't shine, particularly George C. Scott's hilarious turn as Gen. Turgidson, who over-the-top acting & brilliant facial expressions manage to steal every scene he's in. Behind the camera, Stanley Kubrick crafts a hilarious satire that mostly plays it straight, thankfully since the idea of 'deterrence' is so ridiculous if you think about it (as Dr. Strangelove says, "What is the point of a doomsday device if you don't tell anyone about it?"). It does apply some classic spoof elements, from character names (one general is named Jack D. Ripper) to arguments over mundane things when the apocalypse is about to happen (a soldier objecting to breaking a Coca-Cola machine because it's private property is prime example). Overall, one of the funniest movies ever made since it lives up to the title, as you can will only find yourself laughing at the concept of nuclear armageddon.
½ January 7, 2017
Omg, one of the greatest movies ever made. A magnificent dark comedy, this film is hard to beat in that genre.
December 17, 2016