Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Reviews

½ April 5, 2018
Military satire at its best, but spoiled somewhat by the over-the-top mannerisms and dialogue of all three Peter Sellers characters.
April 3, 2018
If this is a comedy then why's is it not funny? I love Kubrick but I've never understood why this movie is so beloved. It's slow, boring, unfunny and not interesting. The only great thing about it is Peter Sellers.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
The one problem I have with this film is that for a film called "Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" Dr. Strangelove isn't in this movie for more than 10 minutes, which was a bit disappointing to me, but the comedy and the acting save the film from falling into obscurity. Geeorge C. Scott and Peter Sellers both do great jobs, Scott is great as the general and Peter Sellers is great as the president, Dr. Strangelove, and the assistant to one of the generals in the film, but to me the funniest part he does in this film is Strangelove, even though he is in the film for only 10 minutes, but the accent for the character is very funny, and how he acts is also very funny. One interesting thing I have to say about the film is that this was James Earl Jones first film, and he was given credit at the beginning of the film as one of the main actors. I haven't seen any of Kubricks other films but after seeing this one, I'd like to see more of them.
February 23, 2018
Somehow manages to pose tense situations where the litteral fate of the world is at stake, while keeping you laughing the whole time. Brilliantly told, brilliantly funny, and fantastic dialogue help to make this film a timeless classic. Not to mention some of the best comedic performances I've ever seen.
February 11, 2018
One of the best farces ever made. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 29, 2018
8 8 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 = 88
½ January 26, 2018
Stanley Kubrick's 'attempt' at comedy. You'd think that for as ridiculous as this gets, it wouldn't be as boring as it is. Over-the-top George C. Scott is entertaining.
½ January 25, 2018
Certainly an interesting and incisive look into the egos and ethos that make nuclear war such a precarious event, but one whose humor hasn't aged gracefully and carries with it a pretty worrying amount of sexism. I know a lot of people don't love Citizen Kane despite acknowledging its revolutionizing of visual and (particularly) camera effects; I feel the opposite. I think that film deserves its lionized status based on the timeless drama contained within. Dr. Strangelove to me just feels like kind of a silly and simple story of the attempt to avert an accidental nuclear crisis with a great cast.
January 23, 2018
The quintessential dark satire, Dr. Strangelove is hilarious and troubling in the best ways. Everything is pitch perfect whether its played straight like the President or over the top like General Turgidson. We'll all go together when we go and this film revels in that.
½ January 13, 2018
this is the war room..

Dr. Strangelove Or : How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Its quite clear from the title that the movie doesn't have anything serious to offer even though being Stanley's work (which I have to say this is the best one) but that also doesn't mean that it doesn't raise any serious issues, it's just that they do it with some levity.
½ January 7, 2018
I understand the brilliance behind this project and how groundbreaking its satire is, but for me this film did not connect. Maybe it was the atmosphere in which I was watching the film but it all seemed so arbitrary. I feel wrong giving it a score of two and a half stars but that is my personal opinion.
January 6, 2018
M-F-O

8.6

[Stanley Kubrick]
January 3, 2018
One of the best comedies of all time. It's hilarious, it's smart and it's incredibly quotable. It also stars Peter Sellers in three (!) roles, and he absolutely steals the show.
½ January 1, 2018
(70/100)
I'm sorry, I guess, because I didn't find it all that funny nor intriguing. I wanted to like this movie, because it was directed by Stanley Kubrick, but I didn't.
December 20, 2017
A funny and interesting piece of satire
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Exquisita obra de Stanley Kubrick, con una visionaria contemplación hacia las consecuencias morales y éticas de los conflictos internacionales.
November 25, 2017
A pioneer of the dark comedy genre that is meant to befuddle the average and amuse the arrogantly intelligent. That being said, I am arrogantly intelligent.
November 11, 2017
Dr. Strangelove Or: How I learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb is a suspenseful black war comedy starring Peter Sellers and George C Scott. It is also another one of Stanley Kubrick?s most unique classics of all time. The directing and acting is great in this film. This movie can be hard to understand at times, even though this movie is a comedy, it has moments and uniqueness that makes this movie as I said before another classic from brilliant director Stanley Kubrick.
½ September 20, 2017
Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors. I love how long and fruitful his career was, and how even though he wasn't perfect, he was self-reflexive. He had a vision for what movies could do and be, and made it his life mission to bring that to life. However, he didn't let his one-track mind get in the way of his reason. Rather than becoming a relic of the past, his vision grew and changed, and therefore, stayed relevant through his life and ours. I'm going to review a few of his movies in the coming weeks and I hope you join me for the ride.

I'm starting with Dr. Strangelove. I've heard of the name "Strangelove" before, but thought it was a James Bond movie. But after learning it was a Kubrick film, and a highly regarded classic, I knew I had to check it out. The general gist of the film is that it is a satire of cold war paranoia and competition with the "Russkies." To be honest, after seeing it, I wasn't blown away. It was funny and Peter Sellers was amazing in all three of his roles. For the time, it was one of the best satires of the cold war ever made (as seen by the raving review in The NY Times). It really shows the ridiculousness of our bureaucracy and incompetence of our military. I think it still holds up today, as we still have a very odd relationship with Russia, but the B52 bomber scenes are okay at best. It's the war room scenes and the scenes with Peter Sellers as Mandrake, and Jack Dr. Ripper (portrayed by Sterling Hayden), which really make it laughable and where the comedy and satire really shine through.

The plot is that Jack Ripper (we'll get the meanings of the names later), is a rogue military officer at the Burpleson Air Force Base. He initiates the B52 bombers (that are in the sky 24 hours a day around the article circle) to bomb Russia and heat up the cold war. He believes that the Russians are poisoning the U.S. water supplies because one time his sperm did not have its "essence." Basically, the fragility of his masculinity set him off. The bombers are off to attack Russia and Ripper takes his base off the grid, to his executive officer Mandrake's dismay and fear (seeing that Ripper is out of his mind), and the war room scenes begin. The three main characters that are important in these scenes are - the president, Merkin Muffley, Buck Turgidson (Chief Army Officer to the Presient), and Dr. Strangelove (a former Nazi scientist who is now helping the U.S. design their bombs etc.). Strangelove changed his name from Merkwuerdigichliebe, once he became a citizen. It's up to these three to try to decide what to do about Ripper. In the meantime, Mandrake is trying to get the code from Ripper that can stop the planes, but Ripper refuses and holds Mandrake hostage. The President then calls in another army base close to Burpleson to get Ripper. Ripper and his men are unable to fight them off and Ripper commits suicide because he wouldn't be able to stand the torture they'd use on him to get the code. Mandrake, now free, finds the code and gives it to the President. The war room officials stop all the bombers (with the help from the Russian President Kissoff), except for one plane which ends up bombing the Russians and setting off their unstoppable doomsday device. The film ends with the song "We'll meet again" and a montage of mushroom clouds.

Let's start with the music. There are only three songs in the whole film, two of which really stand out to me. One is the, "the ants to marching two by two, hoorah, hoorah." This song only plays during the B52 scenes. To me, it's signaling that the soldiers are just ants or pawns in the War Room's eyes, but at the same time, they're the ones that cause the most destruction. Not only because of their pilot's blood thirstiness and "commie" hating attitude, but because of the incompetence of the politicians and generals controlling them. Not to mention, the Russian's doomsday device, which was only instituted because of their fear of the U.S. and the arms race. In the end, all fingers point back to the U.S.'s bureaucratic incompetence. It's hilariously dark. Next is the song, "We'll meet again." This plays at the very end, right after Dr. Strangelove, who's wheel chair bound, realizes he can walk again. He declares, "Mein Fuherer, I can walk!" then the world ends. Before this, Strangelove was talking about how they could create mine shafts to store a population of U.S. citizens so they can continue the human race. "We'll meet again" refers to the fact that maybe the humans will rise again. Or, it could mean that the U.S. and the Russians will meet again if they both create mine shafts. Right before the doomsday device goes off, Gen. Turgidson is complaining about the "mine shaft gap" and the mine shaft race. Here, the comedy lies in their obsession with the cold war. The Americans are so paranoid about the Russians that they don't understand that the world is ending and where they're going, the arms race, space race, mine shaft race, won't matter.

The cinematography of course, is beautiful. I love the lighting, and the sets. The war room looks exactly what a "war room" would look like. I love the angles that Kubrick uses for the audience to see the power of the speakers. Whenever someone in the war room is anxious or trying to get their point of view across, the camera is angled looking up to show that they're in power. It also is there to make them look jarring, we can see the sweat on their face, the veins in their eyes, and spit coming out of their mouth when they talk. Dr. Strangelove is always shown with a zoomed in lens, his head in the center of the screen. Instead of us watching him, he's watching us. In addition, the title is great. I love how long it is and how it shows that this film will be a comedy. Originally, it was supposed to be a drama, but Kubrick rightly thought that the best way to get across cold war paranoia would be comedy. The film isn't laugh out loud funny, but it's not meant to be. It's supposed to make you think, and smile to yourself at how perverse it is.

Now let's talk about the characters and their names. First, there's Peter Sellers who plays three characters in the film - Mandrake, Ripper's commanding officer, The President, Merkin Muffley, and Dr. Strangelove (previously known as Merkwuerdigichliebe, which in German means cherished fate). Seller is brilliant in all his roles. His delivery and accents are incredible, he just blends into everyone he plays. My favorite is of him as the president. I especially love how he talks with the Russian president like they're like little kids in a fight. "I'm more sorry, you can't be more sorry than I am, well in that case, I'm sorry too." "Of course, I like to talk to you, of course this is a friendly call," he says while breaking the news to Russia that their B52 bombers are there to destroy their country. As Mandrake, he's serious and brave. He's not cowardly for not wanting to fight alongside Ripper, he's smart in that he knows he shouldn't, for he needs to figure out the code to save the U.S. and the world. And though he does, his tries are futile. This can be seen not only at the ending, but with the fact that when he tries to call the president he doesn't have enough change no matter how many different types of calls he tries (collect, station to station, etc.). Eventually, he asks someone to shoot the coca cola machine. The guy shoots it but before he does he says, "you're going to be in big trouble with the coca cola company." But we should talk about his performance as Dr. Strangelove, the Fuherer loving, Hitler Heiling, maniacal ex-Nazi, with a robotic arm with a mind of it's own trying to kill him. He's perhaps the smartest one in the room, but also the craziest. He and Turgidson is where the comedy comes from in these scenes. Strangelove, because he was a Nazi, and Turgidson, because he's an America loving blind patriot. They both do a great job at portraying their stereotypes.

Here are some of the meanings of the names (as an English major, I eat this stuff up). Jack Ripper, the one who causes this whole mess sounds like Jack the Ripper, the serial killer in London. The Burpelson Air Force Base where he works, has the word burp in it (which I guess was funny at the time). Then there's Mandrake, a root or herb used to promote fertility (which Ripper seems to lack). Merkin Muffley, the president, is named after two slangs for "female" genitals. Showing that the U.S. "lacks balls," but too much testosterone isn't good either, as seen with Turgidson and the pilot (nick named "King Kong") of the B52 bomber, who wants to go ahead and kill everything. Strangelove, is self-explanatory. He has a strange love, or a perverted love with wanting the world to end, and also with Hitler. I don't know too much about this, but I wonder if Dr. Strangelove was playing off Werner von Braun, the Nazi scientist the U.S. stole during the final days of the war in Europe. He helped start NASA and the Apollo program within it.

The only woman in the film is real life playboy model, Tracy Reed. We see her in the magazine being looked at by a male pilot and later with Turgidson in the exact same position as she was in the magazine, lying on her belly. She has one scene, but is only there to show how virile Turgidson is. Sexual undertones in the film can be seen throughout. Not only with the phallic imagery (from cigars to fuel engine tubes), but with the idea of the mine shafts (1 man to every 10 women to repopulate the earth), and Ripper's precious "bodily fluids/essence." The one person of color in the film is a very young James Earl Jones. He plays one of the crew members in the main B52 bomber. Both Reed and Jones aren't given many lines or much to work with, they play their parts as tokens and that's about it. Neither of them are stereotypes though, or used for laughs, which is good, they're just basic supporting characters.

Lastly, Kubrick gives a lot of juxta positioning with peace and war. For example, "peace is our profession" is the logo of Burpleson Air Force Base. This sign can be seen when the two air forces (Burpleson vs. the one that the president sent to get Ripper) are killing each other because they each see each other as the enemy. Another darkly comedic scene caused by miscommunication, technology doing its job too well, and bureaucracy. There's also talk of the "peace race" to end the cold war. This is said by Russian Ambassador, who is also in the war room with them. He says that the Russians built the doomsday device because they couldn't keep up with the "space race, arms race, and the peace race." The peace race and arms race being the same thing. The Russian Ambassador is the one who sends the codes to set off the doomsday device after hearing Strangelove's plan about the mineshafts because he knows the cold war will never end if they don't destroy the world, an extremely grim, but also very real outcome of the cold war. All the weapons on both sides function like they're supposed to, it's the human greed and competiveness that gets the best of the technology.

All in all, I give the film a 7/10. If you're into cold war satire and history, you'll like it just fine. But to me, the film is slow, and the comedy, though great and with a beautiful pay off, isn't enough to save it from aging.
September 18, 2017
Best comedy of all time.