Dragonheart Reviews

• Apr 14, 2019

DragonHeart (1996): 7 out of 10: Dragonheart is a tale of a disillusioned knight who takes it upon himself to slay dragons. Through circumstances and adventures, he befriends the last dragon, and they join together to rescue the kingdom from an evil king and reinstate the glory of King Arthur. The Good: DragonHeart has a great cast. I like Dennis Quaid; he is always very watchable in whatever movie he is in. He has that great smirk that, like Chris Pratt, can speak volumes and save scenes. Sean Connery is terrific in his voice work for the Dragon. He does not phone this one in. David Thewlis is excellent and slimy as the evil boy king, and it is always a pleasure to see Pete Postlethwaite in a decent part. But I have saved the best for last. Who is that redhead love interest? She seems so familiar. Could it be? Yay, it is Dizzy from Starship Troopers. Dina Meyer improves any film she is in. She has worked steadily, but I have always wondered why she wasn't more of a household name. She is wonderful in this role. The special effects hold up better than most films from the era. Kudos to the filmmakers for filming in the sunshine by the way. Too many effects-heavy movies in the nineties shot exclusively at night or in the rain (or both) I am looking your way Godzilla. The Bad: While David Thewlis does a great job as the evil king his transformation into said king makes little or no sense. He gives the I was always evil but just pretending to be good so you would teach me speech, but as the prince, he hardly needed to pretend to be anything to get what he wanted. Also since his father was a tyrant, it would have been expected for him to emulate the current king. It is also surprisingly hard to hide your true nature with those who are in your life, especially at that age. While the effects often hold up surprisingly well there is a feeling of LARPING among some of the extras and battle scenes. It seems as if the filmmakers came upon a renaissance festival and said yeah let us film that. While some villagers work well (the cannibal pig farmers), others are indistinguishable from generic tv medieval village number 42. The Ugly: Allegedly there is a whole movie worth of deleted scenes for the film that helps flesh out the characters Tv Tropes has a complete rundown. The excessive editing of the story becomes clear as many motivations in the movie seem a touch half baked. In Conclusion: This is not a severe or dark film. It is a fun romp suitable for the wee ones. With that in mind and the general fun to be had one has to give DragonHeart a lot of slack. With a great cast, special effects that still hold up and a plot that moves at a decent pace DragonHeart has entertainment for the whole family.

• Dec 22, 2018

This film unfairly gets a really bad of rap! Yes it's story and acting weren't the best but it's visual effects for its time were revolutionary and Draco just being a very compelling and lovable character should also at be taken into consideration.

• Mar 04, 2018

Okay medieval dragon tale about shiftless conman Dennis Quaid striking a bargain with a CGI dragon (voiced by Sean Connery) to attack villages who will then pay Quaid to "slay" the dragon. It's a clever idea, but the film is so vanilla that it might as well have been a throwaway 1970s Disney film. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sappy Disney film, but the characters and emotions here were all very by-the-numbers, leaving the audience with no real investment in what happens to them. The film either needed to be more real on a character and emotional level, or it needed to be grittier (i.e. "Dragonslayer" or "Reign of Fire"). Still, "DragonHeart" is well crafted from a technical and production value standpoint and Connery voicing the dragon is pretty irresistible. Worth watching, but pretty forgettable.

• Feb 08, 2018

A pretty fun and entertaining kids film. Dennis Quaid keeps it all together in a harmless family film.

• Sep 28, 2017

Love the music, but the acting is crap.

Love the music, but the acting is crap.

• Jul 27, 2017

It's good but it's not great. The effects could be a whole lot better along with the writing and story. And while some of the acting is ok, it could be a whole lot better. So, to sum it up, this movie could have made some better choices

• Jul 08, 2017

The plot is nothing fancy and the CGI may look slightly outdated, however, the end result is a solid medieval fantasy tale, packed with positive messages.

• Jun 11, 2017

I fell in love with this movie when I was young. So much emotion and power with such cool characters, and I adore Draco. I have many fond memories of this film!

• Feb 02, 2017

This is my favorite Movie of all time.

This is my favorite Movie of all time.

• Feb 02, 2017

Awwww I love dragonheart it's sooooooo good with awesome special effects despite its age and Draco (dragon) is so adorable and Jonh Connery is a perfect as a voice actor for a dragon because he sounds exactly like how I imagine an old wise male dragon would sound like, and yes I did shed some tears when he died and if I hadn't held myself back then I would have cried a whole ocean