Drunken Angel Reviews

• Jan 04, 2021

The story is rather weak, but the acting by Mifune and Shimura is excellent.

The story is rather weak, but the acting by Mifune and Shimura is excellent.

• May 02, 2020

Akira Kurosawa's breakthrough is a milestone for the rise of one of the most accomplished filmmaker of the 20th century, who would only improve his skills over the years.

• Apr 05, 2020

Not a favorite Kurosawa for me, but visually there's a lot to appreciate. I saw some seminal ideas that would be further developed in Ikiru, such as the bubbling, pestilent swamp in the Tokyo neighborhood where the film is shot. The plot didn't do a lot for me.

• Jul 22, 2019

Excellent. Shimura, one of my favorite actors, completely fills the lead: a hotheaded, moralizing, committed doctor who either is working in the ghetto because he hit the bottle, or hit the bottle because he chose to work in the ghetto. Mifune would go on to become the bigger star, but here Shimura is the star and i like the different dynamic between them. There are a few hackneyed moments, but Kurosawa's full-throated thrashing of mobsters is so refreshing, after their stupid elevation in American cinema.

• Nov 07, 2018

This film was great.

This film was great.

• Sep 24, 2018

A layered character study with profound grace and a lovely eye, even if it gets bogged down in repetition and unneeded details from time to time.

• Mar 23, 2018

Beginning the lengthy and critically acclaimed 16 movie collaboration between Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune, Drunken Angel features the latter stealing the show in a tale of Post-war Yakuza Japan where crime and disease are rife, and if a bullet doesn't get you then TB surely will. The title may refer to the liquored-up Doctor who attempts to not only treat but also humanise the volatile gangster, but the movie belongs to Mifune. Crazed and violent in one instance and full of dread, fear and self-pity the next, it's little wonder that Kurosawa valued him so much. Aside from the incredible performances, the film also shines in its construction of a grudging mutual friendship, where both people can help the other in some way, even if they'd prefer not to be in the same room for more than a split-second. The relationship is unpredictable, rage-filled and ultimately tragic, but it says a lot about the human condition that we'll continue to do things which slowly and knowingly destroy us, if it offers even the tiniest diversion from the state of our sorry lives. But more than anything, it kicked off a movie partnership that produced classic after classic, and stands as a testament to the talent of both men, as well as all those involved in its production.

• Aug 15, 2016

Great performances by Takashi Shimura, Toshiro Mifune and Michiyo Kogure. One of my favorite Kurosawa films!

• Jan 30, 2016

I had never seen this film before from one of my favourite director, Akira Kurosawa, and I loved it. I didn't know much about the film, so I was completely surprised by it. Such an excellent film that follows the relationship between a severely ill gangster, and a flawed but caring doctor. The performances from Kurosawa mainstays Takashi Shimura and Toshiro Mifune are both outstanding! Do yourself a favour and seek it out!

• Kase V Super Reviewer
    Apr 06, 2015

What most consider to be Kurosawa's first foray into serious filmmaking is a moody and engaging work that is essentially elevated by Shimura and Mifune.