Dumbo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dumbo Reviews

May 9, 2018
Una breve ed intensa storia che emoziona dall'inizio alla fine. Le splendide animazioni vengono accompagnate da una musica toccante che trascina lo spettatore dentro una realtÓ dall'atmosfera tipica dei migliori Classici Disney. Il film brilla per numerose sequenze interessanti, dalla costruzione del tendone da circo alla scena in cui Dumbo si ubriaca, sequenze che elevano le animazioni dell'epoca, rendendole eterne e moderne ancora adesso.
April 28, 2018
A stripped down, simplistic affair, even more so than Pinocchio was, Dumbo makes great us of its 60-odd minute runtime. The sequence when Dumbo and Timmy accidentally get drunk and experience an onslaught of Pink Elephant imagery is the best sequence in the film, and it's still remarkable how visually inventive and out of this world it remains to this day. The rest of the movie is enjoyable, especially the bit with the jive-talking crows, which our contemporary uber-PC world has rendered offensive and unacceptable. Personally, I thought they were great characters. They're not bullies, they don't try and hurt our heroes and even given the big-lugged elephant the ability to fly. To me they never came across as being insulting or crude. As I mentioned before, it's the simplistic nature of the film that people remember it for, and how easy a character Dumbo is to like. He's not very interesting, but he is wide, eyed, na´ve and curious, and sometimes that's the most effective way to view a world as confusing and twisted as ours.
½ April 11, 2018
Overall, the film is a classically animated, fun, quick film, that lives up to the Disney standard. Because of this, I am rating the film a 7/10.
March 30, 2018
It may be extremely short for an animated film, barely clocking in at an hour, but the simple storytelling without the need for complicated subplots, emotional moments and colourful character and background animation makes Dumbo Disney's best animated feature of the wartime era.
February 1, 2018
Classic, beautifully animated Disney favorite. Every time I watch it I remember why it delighted me as a child and why it continues to delight new generations of viewers.
½ January 15, 2018
A Disney classic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 11, 2018
Dumbo is a great charmer. It is rushed in its third act and definitely short, but sweet. The animation isn't as artistic as other films of its period, but it is still quite charming and highly imaginative and weird in the pink elephants sequence. The film is simple, but never simplistic and its emotional impact is undeniable as some scenes are truly touching. The characters are highly endearing as well with the crows, the protagonist and Timothy Q. Mouse being the highlights. The soundtrack is also pretty great and underrated as Pink Elephants on Parade, Baby Mine and When I See an Elephant Fly are all classics. In the end, Dumbo is one of Disney's less ambitious, but sweetest and most endearing flicks.
½ December 30, 2017
This classical Disney movie, despite the kind of edgy animation, brings a smile to anybody who watches it.
December 26, 2017
One of Disney's classics, though after seventy-five years its reputation may have outpaced the film itself. After the financial disappointments of Pinocchio and Fantasia a year earlier, the studio tightened its belt on Dumbo in an attempt to make up for the losses. It worked in one sense, giving Disney the box office victory it needed, but that penny-pinching and corner-cutting hurt the finished product. It's astonishingly short, barely weighing in at an hour including credits, which forces a sudden, jarring climax. The story's pace is quite smooth until then, taking its time to build characters and back-story, so by contrast the immediate rush to wrap everything up in a frenzied flash is disruptive. While it's cruising along in the first half, though, things are good enough. Speckled with colorful characters and a fresh circus setting, it bottles that classic, emotive Disney magic while still taking a few risks. The infamous pink elephant scene, in particular, is an unexpectedly surreal animator's playground that's several decades ahead of the curve. I was shocked to find offbeat similarities Danny Elfman's work in the film's score, too, which may suggest an even broader influence. Playful and heartfelt, though deeply under-cooked, Dumbo feels like a breezy short story when compared to the richer, more complete films elsewhere in the studio's early catalog.
December 8, 2017
Simple, short, and just dang sweet! Probably my favorite Disney film when I was a child. And it still tears me up to to this day! But what is that makes this one of the best animated films of all time? Is it the simple and short length? The sweet and emotional story? The lovable and cute characters? Or the polished and colorful animation? Well, believe it or not, it's all of those combined! It has almost everything perfect! I say "almost" because of just one little nit pick. And NO! It's not the crows! I think they're just fine the way they are and I don't think they're racial stereotypes. They are just simply the comedic/supportive cast that are there to support the idea of Dumbo being able to fly. Now that I got that out of the way, what is it that I find a little "disappointing" about the film? Well that happens to be the fact that the Stork character is not in the film for very long. Now I know that he would most likely be useless in rest of the film given that his main (and only) purpose is to send baby Dumbo (or Jumbo Jr. if you want to get specific) to Mrs. Jumbo. But he just has so much warmth and likability to him that I wish he was a more prominent character in the story. Heck, if he was a main supportive character, then I could totally imagine on what he could do to further develop the story. But that's just a little nit pick of mine. It doesn't necessarily hinder the overall film. Now it's time for me to talk about the most iconic sequence in the film, and one of the most iconic sequences in Disney history. You all probably know what it is, so I will just go on without stating it. Now I will be honest, I was probably one of the few children to not get creeped out by the Pink Elephants. In fact, I found it incredibly interesting and it was always the part that I anticipated for when watching the film. The imagery and color pallet in that sequence is just spectacular! And I like how they made Dumbo and Timothy Q. Mouse drunk in order to add it in. That was one very creative indeed. Lastly, I have to talk about the ending. Now I know a lot of you are probably going to say "What? Why talk about the ending of Dumbo? It was just a simple Disney ending". Well. Too me, it's one of the most endearing and happy endings in Disney history. Why? Well since I grew up with a lot of the classic Disney films ranging from Snow White all the way to the Disney Renaissance, I'm pretty much a sucker for these types of endings. They're not to complicated. And that famous 'The End' part still makes me smile to this day! Overall, is it my personal favorite Disney film? Not quite. I will make a review on that soon. But it' definitely in my top 3. And I will continue to praise it to this day. If any of you haven't seen this yet, please do! You might just love it as much as I do.
November 17, 2017
Features one of the trippiest and the most breathtaking sequences in the history of animation.
November 12, 2017
Watched this as part of our pre-Disneyworld series. Super heartwarming albeit not as innocuous as most Disney movies. Like the vivid picture of animal enslavement, the not-so-subtle reference to substance-induced euphoria. Forgivable though, considering the era of this classic.
November 3, 2017
So this is not my favorite Disney movie you know I found it to be boring and slow
September 26, 2017
viewed on 26/9/04 (Sun)

Some trivia for that the oh-so-cute elephant with big ears. His name is actually Jumbo Junior and Dumbo is the nickname given by his mother's nasty colleagues in the circus. Dumbo does not speak a word and till now, the only title character with no lines. Now that makes the animated feature more endearing. Dumbo is teased for having big ears and when his mother punishes the mocker, she is locked up as a mad elephant.

Then comes the most heartwrenching moment. Easily the most touching scene in all animated films. With the help of one true friend, a rat called Timothy, Dumbo pays a visit to his mother. They can't see face to face so Dumbo's mother stretches out her trunk to cradle Dumbo. Dumbo sheds two big tears and his mother sings the Oscar-winning song , Baby Mine. Then it shows the other baby animals sleeping with their mothers. Only Dumbo is deprived of that blessing.

Not only that scene can relate to all children. They can also relate to Dumbo's self-doubt and misery for being different. He is laughed at. He is made a clown and everyone sees him as a freak. Every child can feel for Dumbo. Aren't we all at one point or other made to seem different by other kids? I was called a sissy by primary school mates and my army comrades called me fat ass. Haaa...

DUMBO should be watched by all children. A perfect movie to learn about parental love and loving oneself.

Sadly, I have only one complaint, the weird and morbid "Pink Elephants on Parade" number. It is out of place. Some will find the sequence resplendent and spectacular but personally I feel that it is a blemish.

Rating: B+
September 9, 2017
At 63 minutes, Disney's classic 'Dumbo' is about as brisk and uncomplicated as films come. Characters are introduced, a very simple character conflict is established, and then everything is wrapped up beautifully in the last 10 minutes.
But where the movie lacks in complex storytelling its benefits in spades by a parade of tiny details and touches that make every scene a joy to watch. Whether its the use of silhouettes for human dialogue scenes or the little vignettes of other mother/child pairs, everything is presented with care and could put a smile on even the most cold-hearted viewer.
½ August 3, 2017
In the early Golden Age of Disney, this might be the weakest entry, but the memeroble characters like Dumbo, and the entertaing story with some good moments made this one another classic that all ages could enjoy.

|It's a 7,0 out of 10|
½ June 26, 2017
While not the best animated Film Disney Has to offer, Dumbo keeps making progress through fun characters, well-done animation, and a well paced story.
June 11, 2017
Good Movie But Too Boring (Compared To Pinocchio And The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad)
May 30, 2017
Not a good classic movie I found it to be boring I only saw it one time when I was younger but not a fan.
½ May 15, 2017
120102: I'm giving this an extra .5 because it's a Disney film and that is supposed to mean something. Not sure, at 64 minutes, I'd call this a movie. A little short for what one pays for these DVD. Hopefully you find some value in the extra features. This is not a modern Disney film. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.