Dumbo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dumbo Reviews

½ August 3, 2017
In the early Golden Age of Disney, this might be the weakest entry, but the memeroble characters like Dumbo, and the entertaing story with some good moments made this one another classic that all ages could enjoy.

|It's a 7,0 out of 10|
½ June 26, 2017
While not the best animated Film Disney Has to offer, Dumbo keeps making progress through fun characters, well-done animation, and a well paced story.
June 11, 2017
Good Movie But Too Boring (Compared To Pinocchio And The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad)
May 30, 2017
Not a good classic movie I found it to be boring I only saw it one time when I was younger but not a fan.
½ May 15, 2017
120102: I'm giving this an extra .5 because it's a Disney film and that is supposed to mean something. Not sure, at 64 minutes, I'd call this a movie. A little short for what one pays for these DVD. Hopefully you find some value in the extra features. This is not a modern Disney film. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.
April 1, 2017
Such a beautiful movie, in every sense of the word
½ March 19, 2017
Like Bambi it doesn't really have strong characters or plot and meanders for a chunk of its short run time. Unlike Bambi though the music is better and what plot it does have flows better so when the story peaks it feels natural. Dumbo also has a rather trippy scene that would no doubt get gasps of "think of the children!" in these modern times, rather amusing. Even the mildly racist crows were fun.
March 19, 2017
I love this movie but with a 97% rating and one of the most racist scenes in animation history its questionable then again the original Birth of a Nation also has a 90%+ rating from critics. Maybe critics are idiots
March 16, 2017
When I see an Elephant....fly!
March 8, 2017
For such a short and simple movie, Dumbo still manages to pack a lot of charm, imagination, powerful emotions, and brilliant Disney animation all into one. It may not have been as ambitious as Snow White, Pinocchio, or Fantastia was for it's time, this film is still one of the best Disney classics.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 26/9/04 (Sun)

Some trivia for that the oh-so-cute elephant with big ears. His name is actually Jumbo Junior and Dumbo is the nickname given by his mother's nasty colleagues in the circus. Dumbo does not speak a word and till now, the only title character with no lines. Now that makes the animated feature more endearing. Dumbo is teased for having big ears and when his mother punishes the mocker, she is locked up as a mad elephant.

Then comes the most heartwrenching moment. Easily the most touching scene in all animated films. With the help of one true friend, a rat called Timothy, Dumbo pays a visit to his mother. They can't see face to face so Dumbo's mother stretches out her trunk to cradle Dumbo. Dumbo sheds two big tears and his mother sings the Oscar-winning song , Baby Mine. Then it shows the other baby animals sleeping with their mothers. Only Dumbo is deprived of that blessing.

Not only that scene can relate to all children. They can also relate to Dumbo's self-doubt and misery for being different. He is laughed at. He is made a clown and everyone sees him as a freak. Every child can feel for Dumbo. Aren't we all at one point or other made to seem different by other kids? I was called a sissy by primary school mates and my army comrades called me fat ass. Haaa...

DUMBO should be watched by all children. A perfect movie to learn about parental love and loving oneself.

Sadly, I have only one complaint, the weird and morbid "Pink Elephants on Parade" number. It is out of place. Some will find the sequence resplendent and spectacular but personally I feel that it is a blemish.

Rating: B+
½ January 20, 2017
One of my favorite Disney movies, its defintely depressing at times, but is still a great movie!
January 14, 2017
I loved this movie. I first watch this movie when I was 6 and I just loved everything about it. Ann I'm not much older I'm in my early teens now and it still has a special place in my heart.
December 31, 2016
A perfect film full of warmth and heart, second to none. This movie has a 100% in my heart, like it should in yours.
December 26, 2016
Dumbo is magnificent. It is one of the greatest classics of the Golden Age of Disney, being, in my opinion, second among the best films of the studio at the time that Walt commanded, below only Fantasia. This film is proof that it is possible to make a good story, with captivating characters, brilliant situations, touching scenes and beautiful songs even with few resources. That's right, Dumbo does a lot with very little, without losing the brilliance and originality of a true disney classic.
September 16, 2016
It's all coming back! Incredible film, favourite as a child, favourite as an adult.
½ August 24, 2016
This is arguably the best animated film Disney ever made. Beautiful animation, wonderful songs, and great emotional themes: it pretty much has it all and then some. And the 'Pink Elephants on Parade' sequence is certainly the most surreal that Disney has ever been. Aside from some mildly racist caricatures and a questionable happy ending (the goal for "freaks" should be monetization?), DUMBO is practically perfect.
August 15, 2016
Despite its short length, Dumbo is still a great Disney classic!
August 12, 2016
Dumbo is a classic movie with a heartwarming lesson at the center, but the sincerity isn't enough to save it from some of its lesser qualities. With songs that are catchy at best but mostly forgettable like "When I See an Elephant Fly" and "Baby Mine" and a decent portion of the movie dedicated to watching Dumbo get wasted an