Dumbo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dumbo Reviews

September 16, 2016
It's all coming back! Incredible film, favourite as a child, favourite as an adult.
½ August 24, 2016
This is arguably the best animated film Disney ever made. Beautiful animation, wonderful songs, and great emotional themes: it pretty much has it all and then some. And the 'Pink Elephants on Parade' sequence is certainly the most surreal that Disney has ever been. Aside from some mildly racist caricatures and a questionable happy ending (the goal for "freaks" should be monetization?), DUMBO is practically perfect.
August 15, 2016
Despite its short length, Dumbo is still a great Disney classic!
August 12, 2016
Dumbo is a classic movie with a heartwarming lesson at the center, but the sincerity isn't enough to save it from some of its lesser qualities. With songs that are catchy at best but mostly forgettable like "When I See an Elephant Fly" and "Baby Mine" and a decent portion of the movie dedicated to watching Dumbo get wasted an
August 12, 2016
Dumbo is a classic movie with a heartwarming lesson at the center, but the message isn't enough to save it from some of its lesser qualities. With songs that are catchy at best but mostly forgettable like "When I See an Elephant Fly" and "Baby Mine" and a decent portion of the movie dedicated to watching Dumbo get wasted and hallucinate about pink elephants, it seems like the movie just doesn't live up to the rest of the Disney classics. One of the shortest Disney films, it's a tightly wound movie that inspires some emotion but ultimately takes a while to get to the good parts; Dumbo only takes flight for about 15 minutes at the end and most of it is in the company of some decidedly racist crows.
August 12, 2016
By being clever about the animation and having a genuinely good heartwarming story, the animators and team behind Dumbo saved the Disney studio from financial difficulties after much money being spent on Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia. The songs are true Disney, with "Baby Mine" winning best song at the oscars.
½ July 22, 2016
While it's a classic, I've always felt this fell just below some of Disney's other masterpieces. It's still a fun and justifiably regarded film.
½ July 21, 2016
With beautiful synchronous music, an eye opening tale of circus life through the animals and oodles of cuteness, Dumbo is a short, sweet treat. Excuse the mildly racist Jim Crow and his friends, for at least their personalities defy the stereotype and allow them to provide a pleasant late sprinkle of humour.
½ July 4, 2016
another fun disney movie
June 20, 2016
Well-animated and fun for kids.
½ June 19, 2016
While not the strongest, its definitely a touching-well animated short story that still holds up today as it did before, even if it does limitate itself from time to time.
March 25, 2016
An early Disney classic, and probably one of its most warm-hearted. Dumbo is about a child overcoming its birth defect and using it to his advantage. The high point of the film is the scene when he and his mother are reunited, but the very short length limits character development and motivation.
March 20, 2016
After the disppointing failure of Fantasia, Dumbo hit the big screen. When I was kid I love it, as an adult I still love it. The opening tune sounds catchy, the songs wooing their way on everybody's heads, the animation just like the others is well drawn and my favorite character is got to be the crows. Well yeah, I know people think they're racist but there only in the movie for about 10 minutes but they're still funny and also I like the clowns as well. There's a scene where Dumbo's mother goes crazy because the kids are mocking her son Dumbo so The Ringmaster has to tie her down and lock her in the cage which is a classic scene. And also the pink elephants scene is so crazy and so dreamy for some reason, it is only when people are drinking too much alcohol. And the end scene is just absolutley phenomenal if I do say so myself.
½ March 14, 2016
Not bad but so far I have to say reliving the Disney classics is not the magical experience you'd expect. The basic ugly duckling storyline is good here and my son was really engaged in the first half. The second half (apart from the whole learning to fly bit) is basically drivel. Embarrassing black caricature crows and a whole trippy pink elephant sequence which I'm sure was far out when you were smoking weed for the first time in the 40's but is now I'm sorry just dull.
½ February 29, 2016
Though some characters are certainly outdated, there's no denying just how incredible "Dumbo" is. It'll make it laugh, and it'll make you cry.
February 24, 2016
Walt Disney thrived on bringing memorable stories that would, in turn, become easily recognizable among the general public. By turning interesting ideas and concepts into a profit, Walt and his team of animators delivered some of the greatest animated movies ever made. And 1941's "Dumbo" is a prime example of not only delivering , solid animation, but great storytelling in the process. When watching the movie, one gets a sense of wonder at what creativity went into making this film a reality. Even after 75 years, this movie still holds up very well. Anything can happen, and that's the charm of this movie: it is not bound by studio executives, but rather creative control to let go and do whatever they want. "Dumbo" is a fantastic treat for anyone that can enjoy the modesty of why Walt Disney and his team made such a creative feature.

The story has a mother elephant receiving newborn son unto the world, as she and several other animals are working for the circus. Unfortunately, her son has a major problem: his ears are huge! Yet, motherly instincts prevail and she and her son, named Dumbo, continue putting on a show for the circus. However, an incident involving Dumbo lands his mother in solitary confinement, and now he resorts to a mouse named Timothy for a friend. And sooner or later, Dumbo will find out that those big ears of his may lead to something that is very important later on.

"Dumbo" is simply a masterpiece, there is no question about it. In fact, where does one begin describing the praise for this movie? Well, for one thing, the whole production feels very simple, and because of this, it feels very relatable. The design of the movie feels more like a cartoon, than any other Disney movie both prior and after this film. The characters are noticeable as they have a very cartoonish quality to them, but also displaying a lot of emotion with what they are given. On top of this, each animated sequence is creative in their own right; the most notable example being the Pink Elephants sequence near the end of the film, where anything goes.

Combining the above with a simplistic story, that's very easy to follow, "Dumbo" offers up a tale that pretty much anyone can know, and catch on to. It is a tale of an outcast trying to fit into society, despite an having an abnormality that he has. There are even some quiet moments that let the audience take in the emotional aspect of the film. From making you laugh with the crows, to crying along with the mother, this film more than delivers the impact it gives emotionally. And the entire production only lasts an hour!

What can I say about "Dumbo" that hasn't already been talked about? It's a perfect movie. I definitely recommend it for anyone and to everyone by saying that they should at least see it once in their lifetime. You won't regret it.
February 3, 2016
another crowning achievement from Disney
arguably the shortest film on record it's about a little elephant with very big ears but with a very big heart
the most unique thing about him ultimately makes him an easy target of shame and ridicule
but with the help of a mouse Dumbo realizes his full potential by becoming a circus sensation
show biz isn't easy but Dumbo isn't alone as he has his mother and this mouse bring him out of the corner to truly shine
did I mention that the pink elephant scene still holds a special place in the most random areas of animation?
½ January 28, 2016
Not a interesting movie but it might be right for kids.
January 17, 2016
Cute, surreal, bizarre, interesting, sad, and classic. As a kid I was really confused by the pink elephants. As an adult I feel more for the bond between mother and son. I'd buy this for my kids.