Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) Reviews

• 6d ago

Full review on my blog movie-discourse.blogspot.com: Tropa de Elite (international title: Elite Squad) is a crime drama set in 1997 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and focuses on two new recruits of a paramilitary police squad. The movie raises some interesting questions about the ethical situation in the favelas and tries to contrast police brutality and organized crime. However, due to the uneven pacing and the inconsistent plot, these aspects are neglected in the latter half of the movie – leaving the viewer with some thrilling action scenes and middling character drama. Technically, the movie looks good and the raw pseudo-documentary style helps to create a tense and thrilling atmosphere; but these features are also overused during the movie's runtime and sometimes even distract the viewer from what's happening.

• Nov 28, 2019

One of the hardest movies that i saw.

One of the hardest movies that i saw.

• Nov 18, 2019

It is never quite clear if José Padilha wishes to justify genocide or to denounce police corruption - possibly both - in this showcase of gratuitous violence.

• Nov 11, 2019

Mostra a realidade com precisão, tanto o lado dos policiais quanto do lado dos bandidos!

• Mar 08, 2019

O filme te oferece um ponto de vista diferente, mas deixando bem próximo da realidade.

• Mar 01, 2019

Brazilian action film with that gritty hand-held camera feel, very rough around the edges. We follow members of the BOPE (Elite Squad), a special section of the police who deal with the hardest problems, particularly drug dealers in the slums. The film makes Rio look like a hell hole. Most of the cops are corrupt but those in the BOPE are supposed to be morally purer, more dedicated to eliminating crime and less willing to take bribes or require security money from the poor. However, this doesnâ(TM)t mean that they donâ(TM)t indiscriminately assassinate and torture those who they see breaking the law â" they do. It is hard to tell whether our narrator (there is a constant voiceover presence here by Wagner Moura) is reliable or not. He seems to be on the side of good, but the movie shows how he selects two recruits for BOPE (Caio Junqueira and Andrà (C) Ramiro) and then fashions them into tough guys who donâ(TM)t hold back when there is an opportunity to bring some brutality to the bad guys. Rich progressive kids working for NGOs ultimately get short shrift from them. Moreover, our narrator knows he can finally retire when one of his protegees offs a baddie without trial. The problem for me is that it is hard to tell where the filmmakers stand on this (the screenplay is apparently by some ex-BOPE squad members). Do they really advocate killing those dealing in pot? The amoral nature of the action reminds me of other violent films (where the violence itself seems to be what is meant to attract the audience) such as The Raid: Redemption (2011). Still, this could be the actual reality in Rio/Brazil â" and if so, thatâ(TM)s pretty scary.

• Jan 02, 2019

This film fails to give any decent character growth or caring for that and can’t decide what it wants to be. In the end, I stopped caring

• Sep 02, 2018

Tomatoes doesn't understand Brazil.

Tomatoes doesn't understand Brazil.

• Jul 16, 2018

The worst movie I ever saw. It embraces fascist ideas of killing poors with the pretext of being helpful to society. A ridicolous ode to the police massacres, where the axis of the discussion it's constantly taken out of place, blaming civilians, ignoring social schemes and history, avoiding to judge the real root of the problem. It's almost like a religious indoctrination, and people seems to love it.

• Jun 23, 2018

The version I have does not feature a voice over, just subtitles. Perhaps that's the difference between the US and UK version.