Embrace Of The Serpent (El Abrazo De La Serpiente) Reviews

• Apr 16, 2020

SO REAL, THAT I EVEN FORGOT I WAS WATCHING A MOVIE... This is the story of two worlds meeting in one: the amazon jungle. I was fascinated by the beauty of the jungle, and charmed imagining tribes still living there. I was devastated by the horrible things we are doing to them, without even being conscious of that. We'll follow the story of a white man who goes to the amazon to meet a shaman who will hopefully cure his "illness". The film is structured in two different times, past and present - separated by 40 years- where two different men go to meet the shaman. Two different men, but the same reincarnation through the eyes of the shaman. The story was not important itself - personally speaking - the importance is in all the meaning it brings with it. Two worlds, two cultures, two times, two beliefs… meeting in one. Following the characters we'll visit the jungle together discovering the deepest meaning of its existence. Tribes in their habitat, in their time, in their world… and then the arrival of our religion, our beliefs, our problems. We brought our world, into theirs. A shaman that lives isolated from his tribe believing it was destroyed by a war, a shaman who uses natural remedies and isn't connected with his own people who changed because of us, the external world. A shaman who is so connected to essential things of life, in contrast with "us"… again, we always carry so many objects. This is a feeling I lived when I was in India… we give so much importance to our objects, and we often forget the real values of life. Cultures, Origins, ways to live… all of these things makes us different, and we should all respect that. Not interfere. We are destroying a culture, we are killing people, we are killing an era.. because of "material" things of "our" world… we are damaging nature, the amazon and the tribes, without even realising it… we are killing a world, replacing it with our beliefs. With our desire of always wanting more… and more… and more… and at the end we get less. And we don't see that. This is the story of a world destroying another one, in a magical place that will not survive for long if we keep going this way: the amazon jungle. So real, that I even forgot I was watching a movie… maybe because it isn't.

• Apr 06, 2020

I've wanted to see this movie for some time and it took the quarantine to finally compel me to sit down and take it all in, and let me say it was worth the time. Of course this movie is probably not a blockbuster with mass appeal, but the many rewards of its viewing are substantial and sublime. Many here are calling it mesmerizing and it is just that - from the scenery to the non-linear narrative, to the rhythmic nature of the tongues spoken throughout - some Spanish and a native dialect I think - this film isn't watched as much as it is experienced. You have to be willing to go on an unconventional journey that will challenge you, that will inspire you, that will repel you. I watched this in the midst of reading "Lost City of Z" and certainly this film is an apt counterpart to that narrative, which is based on the exploits of real-life explorer Percy Fawcett. "Embrace of the Serpent" is fictional, but in many ways it's as true as anything in this world.

• Mar 23, 2020

A unique movie. Stunning cinematography both in nature and the people that populate the scenes. The storyline is not straight forward and has me pondering days after viewing. Watching it again most likely.

• Feb 05, 2020

This film is fantastic. Well worth the watch.

This film is fantastic. Well worth the watch.

• Dec 08, 2019

quase uma experiência religiosa, assistir a um filme tão maravilhosamente alienígena e afastado das convenções quanto Abraço da Serpente.

• Oct 15, 2019

Mesmerizing. Utterly original. Deeply affecting. All of the cliches descriptors from critics, they're all applicable here.

• Sep 30, 2019

Beautifully and minimally shot in the Colombian Amazon. It’s a mesmerizing trip.

• Aug 18, 2019

Slow as well somewhat uneventful because it's part of the culturally-respectful, spiritual journey in testing patience amid the scenic atmosphere to make it all sensibly worthwhile. (B)

• Jul 07, 2019

Ok, this should be mandatory watching at every film school in the US. For all the shit movies being pumped out, I firmly believe there are still those who are capable and willing to make art for art's sake.

• Jul 24, 2018

Pretty compelling when it's not too busy pontificating.

Pretty compelling when it's not too busy pontificating.