End of the Spear Reviews

• Jul 26, 2019

If you can get past the beginning were the natives kill the men at the river, probably for their terrible acting,it actually becomes a good movie.

• Jun 14, 2019

Excellent movie, very touching and emotional.

Excellent movie, very touching and emotional.

• Apr 15, 2018

It's a trip worth taking.

It's a trip worth taking.

• Mar 02, 2017

very good and thoughtful movie

very good and thoughtful movie

• Jul 19, 2016

Interesting subject matter that is somehow made dull.

Interesting subject matter that is somehow made dull.

• Nov 19, 2015

great true story. "which was previously brought to the screen in the documentary Beyond the Gates of Splendor."

• Sep 14, 2015

A movie that could have been very good is undermined by a crappy script and under developed characters.

• Aug 24, 2014

my teacher was working in this project Bob

my teacher was working in this project Bob

• Jan 06, 2014

This movie was better than 40%Rotten Tomatoes. Shows that you don't know the difference between tit for tat. It was a real good movie, I highly recommended.

• Sep 11, 2013

Of a truth Paul wrote "But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (I Corinthians 2:14). As I read most of the reviews from the "experts" I am deeply saddened bc they could not understand what the movie was about. As I watched this movie, more than once, knowing the the of Jim Elliot & the rest, I did not even get caught up in any "technical issues" such as script, acting, etc. This movie in my humble opinion did what it set out to do. Show that only thru the power of the risen saviour Jesus can someone change so dramatically from a life directed by hatred & fear into a life of love & peace. I am going to copy/paste some examples of what Paul wrote about some 2000 yrs ago. 1) "Although the film invests time among the tribesmen, it never really explores the idea that one man's missionary work is another's ideological aggression." 2) "Filmmakers don't need stories with a religious agenda any more than they need ones with an irreligious one. They don't need stories with any agenda, frankly. They just need good stories." 3) "This undramatic would-be piece of inspiration seems like made-for-TV fare for the Christian Broadcasting Network before it morphed into the Family Channel." 4) "A squeaky-clean family of missionaries lives out their fantasy of "saving" a violent tribe of Ecuadorian jungle natives in this virulently wrong-headed movie." 5) "Unmoving story of white missionaries trying to save the poor indigenous people of Ecuador." 6) "[Director] Hanon seems more interested in exploiting his setting's lush green beauty than exploring the psyches of his bland Bible-thumpers." 7) "Spear, financed and distributed by Christian groups, is independently made and sometimes rough around the edges, with unusual moments of religious sincerity and expression." 8) "No level of noble intent by the filmmakers can compel me to recommend a work of cinema that's this cheap, simplistic and sloppy." 9) "The vision and values the film celebrates are at such odds with the reality it has refashioned as a breathless melodrama, it is hard to not give in to temptation and poke fun at its unintentional camp." 10) "End of the Spear is so ineptly rendered, it all but erases the importance of the events it strains to honor." Now mind you, this is just some of the 54 critics that remarked on this amazing film. I did not look at the rest, & only took from those posted on the 1st page. Some of these are listed as "Top Critics" from various news & other media corporations. However, & I would hope there are more under that "view all 54 reviews" button, I must make note of a couple of reviews on the 1st page from the "other side of the coin." (as in, these people "saw" the movie!) 1) "I knew nothing about this movie going in %u2026 nothing. When I came out, I swore I would do everything I could to let people know about the wonders of "End of the Spear." 2) "'End of the Spear' features some intensely violent scenes, but this thought-provoking movie never falters in emphasizing the power of forgiveness." Hmm. Quite a contrast from the other "Top Critics." Alas, here's one that I wasn't quite sure about but I think they got some of it. "This ersatz jungle adventure is really a thinly disguised Sunday School lesson in faith, charity and the savagery of life without Christ." 1st of all, I didn't see this movie as disguised as anything but telling the true story of what happens when you allow God to do in you those things which somewhere deep int he recesses of one's soul know is right & true. "For God has given to each person a measure of faith." That is necessary bc we also know that it is written "There is none righteous. No, not one. There are none that seek after Me." And so, God has given us all that we need to believe, or to start to seek Him. For "If you seek Me, you WILL find Me, when you seek Me with ALL your heart." And for those of us who know the story of the 1st martyr, Stephen, who, when he was being stoned to death, looked up to heaven & saw Jesus sitting at the right hand of the Father, as Mincayani was ending one of the missionaries' (I believe Nate) life, he (Nate?-sorry, it's been a bit since I last watched it so I don't remember which missionary was who) too was looking into heaven, seeing what Stephen saw. Mincayani's close friend (brother, relative?)/fellow warrior saw it as well & was changed pretty much right after. But Mincayani took a bit longer. However, I was totally uplifted when Mincayani's friend finally challenged him, telling him "You saw it too! You saw the Light!" Mincayani could no longer deny the Truth. Kudos to the critic who talked about the power of forgiveness. Put yourself, If you can, in the shoes of the widow being handed the spear that killed her husband, by the man who killed him, or the son, having to face the man who made him fatherless (albeit only on earth, for those who believe on the Son will never be Fatherless). Regarding the comment about "the savagery of life without Christ." Jesus told us that "the thief (satan) comes not but to steal, kill & destroy." But He also said "In the world you will suffer much tribulation. But be of good cheer. For I have overcome the world." In short, life is savage w/o Jesus. But being a follower of Jesus (not just a believer...as James wrote "faith w/o works is dead." is also, especially in these latter days, a life of savagery, in the sense that, despite the "mainstream" (well, they are mainstream in their own minds...but I would like to believe that there is still a "mainstream" in America that refuse to believe the lies being assaulted upon them by the worldly news, & that if they will seek it, they can & will find the truth, but more importantly, the Truth) media's attempts at withholding the truth in order to accomplish their agenda, Christians around the globe are being persecuted at increasingly elevated rates. Part of me wants to get into the politics of all this. However, that only causes me to take my eyes off the One who knows what's going on. I need to make sure I'm hearing His voice clearly. Jesus said "I only do those things which the Father has shown Me." Am I doing only those things which He has shown me to do, say only those things which He has told me to say? Or am I winging it? Truthfully, as well as sadly, the latter is of a greater truth than the former, for me. But when I have it right, I know w/o a doubt in my spirit, & eventually my soul too when it catches up, that I have seen & heard the Truth, & my joy is exceedingly full. So too these men. As Jim Elliott said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." He gave his life, as did the rest, which they could not keep, bc we all die, & gained what they could not lose, their life in Christ. I apologize for the rambling on. But my heart here, if anyone chooses to read my comment, is 1) the movie is, in my estimate, not only well worth the watch, but reminds me of Hebrews 12:1-3 which says "Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." That is what these men lived & died for. That is what this film shows. But my main heart issue here is the salvation of those critics who bc they do not have the Spirit of God & therefore cannot understand it, can only produce scorn for the movie. Pray for their souls, if in fact they have not committed the unpardonable sin. But we do not know that. Only the Lord, for He alone will be the Judge of us all, as we will all most certainly stand before the true "Supreme Court," even the throne of God. " "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some [say] John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal [this] to you, but My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 16:13-17). Who do you say Jesus is? My belief is when we stand before Him on that day, He will ask that question. And at that moment "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, [and] being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." There will be those who bow willingly bc they believed on Him whom God sent, & there will be those who will have to bow, bc they will have to face the Truth & admit that He is in fact Lord of all. And after we have answered that question, He will ask "What have you done with that knowledge?" I hope that when I am asked, that I do not find that I went & buried the talent that was given me. These men, & their wives & children did not. And the fruit of their sacrifice & willingness to step out in faith & do what Jesus said, "Love your enemy. Bless them & do not curse them." is borne out by the lives of a tribe of people who once were hunters of men's heads, & now are hunters of men's hearts. sorry, but Darwinism, evolution, the "goodness of man" cannot answer this, nor can it do it. This movie did not set out to win an academy award. It looked for a a far greater reward to be given them by the King of kings & Lord of lords Himself. And if you can't see or understand this, then you need to find out why, & fast. God bless you all. And remember, pray for the peace of Jerusalem.