Entertainment Reviews

• Oct 20, 2019

Love this movie, Turkington gave a great lead.

Love this movie, Turkington gave a great lead.

• Sep 17, 2019

An awkward movie to watch. Keeps you watching with hopeful train derailment. The main character reminds you that one particular God awful one at the open mic night . But not the one who is bad it's genius. So bad, you want to put the dog down.

• Aug 06, 2019

Uncomfortable from top to bottom: and that is the part I liked the most. Not easy to find a film that deliberately try to creep you out. What I did not like was the lack of the story direction and some very slow scenes. About the surrealism, I might have liked it more if I had also enjoyed the film more.

• Jul 20, 2018

A film that requires the watcher to have imagination and prehaps patience, in a world of Brad Pitt wannabes and third rate comedians "acting" in massive budget soulless dirge, this is an excellent film. I did recognise two of the actors but never mind, they did not spoil it.

• Jul 20, 2017

A stand-up comic playing an awful comedian who can`t handle hecklers, becomes his own creation through depression. This is bleak. A man unable to connect with an audience, let alone with people in his own life. (Does the daughter he phones up even exist?) Or with people drifting through it. When he finally reaches out, he is left holding the child. A dead child. Hey! It`s a comedy! Even when you squirm in your chair. Those drinks waiting by the elbow is a stroke of genius. The final poolside performance may be a failure (!), but hopefully signals a cathartic baptism. Success will not cure him.

• Jul 18, 2017

Strangely satisfying at first, it eventually grows tiresome.

Strangely satisfying at first, it eventually grows tiresome.

• Mar 26, 2017

Brutally raw and depressing. Turkington plays his comic persona like an open wound exposed on stage for the world to see.

• Dec 31, 2016

This, without a doubt, will be the toughest watch in recent memory. Terrible stand up comedians have their place, and can offer entertainment value in some form or another. Enter Greg Turkington, who as his alter ego Neil Hamburger has been mastering the craft of truly unremarkable, offensive, deplorable, mundane stand-up comedy, for decades. It is a disconcerning experience, watching an uncomfortable, struggling bomb go off on stage. There is heckling, there is groaning, there is long awkward silences, there is confusion, there is laughter, and sometimes, there is mayhem. Neil Hamburger is not for everyone. The act is a performance art piece, that relies heavily on crowd response, whether it be indifference, warmth or explosive hatred. It is a tough act to pull off on the big screen. Instead of documenting this bizarre phenomena, "Entertainment" uses the Neil Hamburger experience as the centerpiece in a hazy, dreamy, mind and road trip that mixes equal parts Antonioni and Lynch. Filmed super wide, it revels in deserted expanses, adding extra bleak factor to the snail paced non-action. It just feels weird. Shit happens, but seems irrelevant to any story line. John C. Reilly and Michael Cera pop in for oddball cameos, but leave no marks. Hamburger (unnamed for some reason) trudges across wasteland deserted towns to perform before indifferent crowds, with predictable results. Much time is spent on the between gig down times. Is this a joke? Is this art? Is this a movie? Is there anything to "get"? What it is, is a truly unsettling and painful experience for everyone involved, especially you. That may be the point. - hipCRANK

• Dec 02, 2016

You really have to be in to a mood to see this. It's kind of anti-comedy. Parts of it don't really work just because they are nothing more than long shots of sitting or whatever and it becomes annoying (which I get is the point) but despite a few big laughs, I felt like this needed to be shorter add I felt like it was time wasted. Interesting thought experiment though

• Nov 30, 2016

Interesting and confrontational but not too engaging.

Interesting and confrontational but not too engaging.