Everly Reviews

• Mar 08, 2020

Brutality as humor sums up this effective treatment of a genre that's half guilty pleasure and two-thirds fascination with ways to kill someone: I know the math doesn't add up, but the film DOES because the point of good vs. evil is knowing it actually works out in such insanely expendable-laden character deaths.

• Dec 27, 2019

** This review contains spoilers of the first 20-30 minutes of the film - or I should really say it saves you about 20-30 minutes of your life. Don't watch this movie.** TLDR: I couldn't stomach more than about 30 minutes of this garbage movie. I was so bored after a grueling half an hour of gut-wrenching cliches and overly gorey, unnecessary violence that I had to turn it off and go to bed early. I knew it was a bad sign when about 5 different film company logos were presented before the movie even began. Don't get me wrong; I love independent movies and I'm willing to forgive some low-budget snafus provided the movie holds my attention. I was actually impressed by the opening shot and the first few minutes of the film. It starts with a birds eye view of a bathroom and our protagonist, played by Selma Hayek, bursts through the door, locks it behind her and frantically runs around said bathroom naked and traumatized. She uncovers a hidden cell phone and a handgun and attempts to use the phone to call a detective. After this, she uses the handgun to ruthlessly slaughter the men on the other side of the door who appeared to be holding her hostage as some kind of sex slave. After that, the movie goes entirely downhill. This movie tries way too hard to be a witty, action packed, over the top, Tarantino-like film and that try-hardness and lack of originality clearly shows. The movie jumps right into the action without developing any of the characters or explaining what hell is going on. Then we're suddenly supposed to feel sympathy for the protagonist because the five-year-old daughter she presented to us in a cliche "picture in the locket" moment is in grave danger? Not to mention, the acting and dialogue is amateur and poorly written. Kill Bill was an excellent movie because it slowed down and allowed the audience to feel a connection with the main character. On the other hand, this movie skipped right to the second act - as if the director thought skipping the "boring" character development and backstory in the first act is what the audience wants. Tarantino finely crafts the perfect moment to add humor where as humor in Everly is awkwardly sprinkled in the middle of action in an attempt to provide some poorly fabricated comic relief because "that's what big Hollywood directors do." After a half-an-hour of a movie that never left the confines of this woman's apartment, I yawned, shut it off, and gave up. I would have probably finished it if I wasn't sickened by the fact that this movie was basically a rip-off of so many other great movies. Having all of this said, the cinematography was alright - the shot design was unique and visually pleasing. It's a shame it wasn't supported with at least a halfway decent story.

• Nov 17, 2018

A pointless misery of violence and oppression.

A pointless misery of violence and oppression.

• Sep 21, 2018

Terrible actress + terrible script = Terrible Movie

Terrible actress + terrible script = Terrible Movie

• Aug 27, 2018

Entirely fan-based fantasy horror where fans love Hayek in multi-faceted feminine powerful elements: heroism, self-defence intelligent tactics, while psychologically powerful in keeping fear and anxiety from interfering her strong determination to survive inside some worthless drug-prostitution-ridden department building::

• Jul 25, 2018

violent movie i enjoyed it

violent movie i enjoyed it

• May 12, 2018

I loved this movie Selma Hayek was sexy, amazing and powerful! did i mention she was Sexy! this movie is a sleeper hit. also has that japan anime feel to it.

• Apr 27, 2018

muy entretenido y sorprendente, al más puro estilo terantino

muy entretenido y sorprendente, al más puro estilo terantino

• Dec 21, 2017

Immensely violent. Bloody. Sadistic. A tour-de-force performance by Hayek as Everly, a woman kidnapped and forced into sexual slavery for the Japanese mob, who has finally had enough after four years of not seeing her mother and child. She is contacted by an undercover cop and begins working on getting out. The cop doesn't respond to her calls after she has killed a roomful of mobsters (after they had taken turns with her), so she is on her own as the mob boss sends more and more men in to take her out. Not believable at all, but just what I was looking for. It fit my mood last night.

• Sep 20, 2017

Me es imposible comprender como una película como Everly tiene puntuaciones tan baja por allá donde la encuentro valorado. Ninguna película es perfecta, pero este es uno de esos casos en los que los elementos positivos son tantos que convierten la película en una grata experiencia. Para empezar la propuesta de la cinta es genial, y aunque no es original, pocas veces has visto una película que la resuelva de forma tan divertida: una película de acción que sucede tan solo en una habitación. Una película de acción funciona mejor cuando los set pieces van cambiando de lugar, cada vez siendo más épicos. Que Everly consiga eso en tan solo set, es increible y demuestra la buena labor que Joe Lynch hizo en la dirección y realización. Cierto que en cuestión de actores la cosa es algo diferente, si bien creo que parte de lo extravagante de las interpretaciones es algo intencional. Por otro lado la historia bebe mucho del cine pulp tarantinesco y eso se agradece también. Sin duda la propuesta de Joe Lynch pasa por una de las más curiosas que he visto en los últimos años, y estaré atento a esa supuesta segunda parte que tendría que llegar en algún momento.