Evita Reviews

• Sep 10, 2019

Great musical. Great acting and singing by Madonna a surprisingly good voice from Antonio Banderas. All songs are good and catchy and I have watched this movie many times and still like it. A real musical classic.

• Feb 26, 2019

One of the greatest Musicals of all time

One of the greatest Musicals of all time

• Feb 18, 2019

Just saw a mediocre live production of this amazing musical and it made me appreciate the Alan Parker version even more.

• Feb 03, 2019

Madonna underwhelmed in this. I love the Broadway show, particularly Patti Lupone and Mandy Pattinkin but the movie cast struggled to live up to the originals. I wish someone would redo the movie with Pink or Lady Gaga in or to redeem the effort

• Feb 01, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Don't Cry for Me, Argentina!

• Jan 18, 2019

I believe Evita to be one of the worst musicals in all of history. I cringe at the thought of this movie even being considered a musical because the "music" in this movie have no true musical value. The music was poorly chosen for each section of the movie. For example, the beginning of the movie was rightfully dramatic and devastating as the movie was to emphasize the great devastation in the citizens of Argentina. Later in the movie, a scene demonstrating death, destruction, and devastation featured music that sounded like a light-hearted song from a 70s rock band. I found comedic value in this and almost burst out laughing at the poor quality of the movie. None of the songs had any rhythm or rhyme in any of them. Many of the songs sound like insignificant conversations with different out of tune pitches, or simply a failed attempt at music. In music, words must be emphasized through musical pitches or unique lyrical ideas. Music usually have lyrics that rhyme in order to emphasize their meaning or just to make the song sound nice. Evita has only a few rhyming lyrics in the entire movie, and much of the movie contains "music". Music does not require rhyming lyrics, only emphasis. To emphasize music, the word that remains not rhymed must be attached to a pitch that must be raised or lowered a half step in the musical chromatic scale in order to emphasize the pitch, instead of the word itself. This is evident in more modern music such as Egypt Station's "Hunt You Down/Naked/3-Link. In other methods, phrases must end after a word that will not rhyme with anything. For example, if the end of a line is 'orange', the phrase must end after the orange. This is evident in Earth, Wind, and Fire's hit song, "Fantasy". The last method is to make each last line word the same amount of syllables, in order to emphasize the words using their structure. This is evident in many Phantom of the Opera songs. The songs in Evita are bad, but not the only part of the movie. The sets are clearly reused many times throughout the movie and sometimes do not match up with the sequence of events. The movie is bad as a whole. The music makes the movie dreadful, and that is not even mentioning incorrect historical content and small details that are not geographically correct, such as climate, licenses plates on cars, etc.

• Dec 19, 2018

It is not good. Very hard to follow.

It is not good. Very hard to follow.

• Aug 14, 2018

One of my favorite musicals of all time. Madonna and Antonio were both so amazing in this.

• Apr 04, 2018

A masterpiece!Sir Lloyd Webber's music is so beautiful it's life changing.LOVE IT!!!

• Mar 19, 2018