Explorers Reviews

• Aug 25, 2019

This movie just gets better with time.

This movie just gets better with time.

• May 25, 2019

In the early to mid-80's there were a few, what I like to call a "kids in space" movies. These are film where kids are involved with either aliens and/or space/time travel. There is a long list of these that hit their stride in the 80's with some of the most well known being "E.T." and "Flight of the Navigator." My favorite however was "Explores". How to describe the feel of this movie? This is the kind of thing I would expect if Terry Gilliam made a "kids in space" movie, fun but definitely a little off from center. I think that might be the most fitting description. A young boy has a recurring dream of flying over a circuit board. When he and his nerdy friend find they had the same dream they build the circuit and the fun begins. They set out on an adventure that takes them across the galaxy. I don't want to give away any of the fun but they do run into some aliens and the movie squeezes in a little lesson in cultural perception and mankind's fear of the unknown.

• Mar 08, 2019

Watch this movie until they get to the space ship with the alien kids and then shut it off. From there forward, the movie is horrible.

• Feb 27, 2019

This is a film that holds up even to this day. Although Joe Dante claims to have not been able to finish the film to his liking, I can not imagine it being any better. From the incredibly inspirational score from Jerry Goldsmith to the tremendous acting from everyone in the film, this movie is pure 80's gold. Even the special effects are incredible for the time and still hold up very well. For parents looking for a good film for kids, it is pretty kid safe (although a little heady at times) and is such a delight to watch with a younger generation. Recommended for kids 8-10 years old if they show a love for sci fi or science in general.http://latetothegame.blog/2019/02/02/key-movies-of-my-life-explorers-1985-2

• Dec 30, 2018

So the movie didn't age all that well, but damn, it sure got the 80s nostalgia fired up. Somewhat bittersweet though as seeing Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix that young made me feel super old. Not so fun fact: 2 of these kids (Phoenix and Amanda Peterson) died of drug overdoses. Enjoy the movie!

• Sep 04, 2018

Great 80's movie in the style of Spielberg's wonderous worlds.

Great 80's movie in the style of Spielberg's wonderous worlds.

• Jun 18, 2018

A favorite fantasy sci-fi film of mine that's fueled my imagination and wonder as a kid and plenty of laughs. It still holds up.

• Apr 21, 2018

Starts off good, but by the end it's pointless. A waste of time and money.

Starts off good, but by the end it's pointless. A waste of time and money.

• Nov 19, 2017

If I'd seen this movie when I was a child I probably would rated it 5 stars. The first two thirds were really charming and nostalgic that I forgive the disappointing final act....

• Nov 04, 2017

Ethan Hawke's high pitch "girly" voice truly becomes annoying in this disjointed film. River Phoenix and the rest of the cast's performance seem right out of a high school production. This has all the making of a low budget film. Everything about this film is amateurish. However, somehow it pulls off enough interesting moments to be watchable and modestly entertaining. Quirky alien characters are laughable, but somewhat entertaining. If you liked "Goonies", you may enjoy watching this cheesy B-flick. A hidden nugget from the 80s that may make the grade for a double-feature on family movie night. The title should have incorporated the word "space" in it to provide some relevance to the subject matter. One of the cheesiest endings I have ever seen, where the actors are clearly mimicking flying while laying on a floor superimposed by green screen onto a cloudy sky.