Face/Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Face/Off Reviews

½ May 10, 2017
Stupidly awesome and awesomely stupid; it's undeniably entertaining, despite some of it being possibly unintentional. Although, I gotta say, I'm thinking most of Nicholas Cage's wackiness was on purpose (maybe not to John Woo, but at least to Cage himself).
½ April 14, 2017
The worst. Absolute dung. Poo poo. Excrement. Ca ca. *stinky*
½ March 24, 2017
Butts. Weird face touching. Double Cage.
March 20, 2017
One of the great action films of the 90's, and dare I say probably Woo's best film.
March 14, 2017
This is literally one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life. I literally got an account on this site so I could give it a review since it had received such positive reviews.

This entire thing is so stupid, with so many plot holes and so many completely ridiculous things that happen. It is over the top and insane but still takes itself seriously.

I think this is Nic Cage's worst movie. He's playing a crazy person or a tortured person and still somehow he comes across as completely insane but not in a good way.

I literally cannot say enough bad about this movie. The only reason I enjoyed this movie at all is because I enjoy bad movies, but this was too bad even for me.
½ March 12, 2017
"Face/Off" is preposterous but hopefully doesn't take itself too seriously. The script is kinda sketchy, yet the action makes up for it, as does the way that the lines between the two main characters and their lives become increasingly blurry as the film progresses. John Travolta and Nicolas Cage have some great moments and some mediocre ones as well, similarly to director John Woo, who at times displays an exciting sense for aesthetics in his action and at times just feels a little expendable.
February 25, 2017
1928 Was 69 Years Old In 1997.
½ February 10, 2017
AMAZING! watched it for the first time in more than 10 years. was wondering if it would hold up to how much I used to love it or if it would have old movie qualities. not only did it hold up, it exceeded. I picked up on so much more than when I was a kid and a less experienced movie watcher. such an awesome idea for a story that may have seemed ridiculous at the time but not any more with today's technology. Just a great idea that was taken in all the right places. the characters were awesome. the acting was intense, especially by cage. the movie was smart. great directing and action sequences. superb musical score. there was a little bit of unrealistic and some over the top but I don't mind. this is probably the best action flick of the pre-CGI era (about 7 viewings)
½ February 9, 2017
John Woo's typical "doves coming to attend the climactic battle" cliche aside, Face/Off is a stylish, action-packed, appropriately over-the-top and sometimes even darkly comedic with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage doing great jobs portraying each other...literally. A really entertaining action thriller with an interesting premise.
February 5, 2017
Nicolas Cage and John Travolta star in John Woo's Face/Off. Travolta (Sean Archer) and Cage (Caster Troy) are both archrivals particularly after Caster has killed Archer's son. Several years later the feud is over when Archer finally catches Caster and puts him in a coma. Soon after this however, they find out that Caster's brother has a bunch of bombs hidden somewhere, and the only who he would possibly tell the location of them would be his brother.

A new surgical procedure comes out that allows Archer to put on the face of Caster. The police try and get Archer to undergo this procedure temporarily so that he can try and learn the location of the bombs. Although he is reluctant at first, Archer soon believes this is the only way for them to truly get the information needed. Archer puts on Caster's face and goes undercover in prison to obtain the information. In the middle of it however, Caster wakes up for his coma and forces the plastic surgeon to get Archer's face. He then uses his police connections to keep Caster in prison and help his brother out. This leaves Archer no choice but to bust out of prison and claim back his life.

Face Off is a relatively entertaining action movie with a clever enough premise. The two leads undergoing the transition of their new roles in the film was a funny premise. In one instance Troy (With Archer's face) is upset about his bother being killed and a cop asks him why is he upset, only to get shot in the head was quite funny. The stunts are as you would in a typical John Woo film, slow one on one double pistols being shot constantly in slow motion, with plenty of unnecessary flips and dives in the process. There is quite a ridiculous stand down scene where about 7 different people all have guns pointed at each other based on their history with the two leads. Travolta does a decent job as a villain as he does in most of his films and Cage puts on one of his typical performances. The two are given a decent surrounding cast with Joan Allen as Archer's wife, and Dominique Swain and Gina Gershon put on sexy performances as Archer's daughter and Castor's sister respectively. Face Off is not Woo's best film, but most fans will find it entertaining enough.

-2.5.2017
February 3, 2017
I will never trust another rotten tomato review because of this. This movie was horrible. Stupid totally unrealistic trite crap.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
90s classic. Good memories of this film.
December 23, 2016
If i most pick my favorite action movie of all time i guese it will be Face/Off ....Seen the the 6th time i think ! Great performaces from Travolta and Cage....Oooohh i Lovvve it . SOMVIDEO
December 18, 2016
Such a sick film. over the top gnarleyness mememalicious. Stop what you're doing and watch this amazing film.
December 16, 2016
sci-fi thrillers of the great old era, with the touch action of Woo
December 1, 2016
I've never been a strong believer in the concept of movies that are "so bad they're good." But if there ever was an example to prove me wrong it might have to be Face/Off. This movie is based on a stupid premise, it has a horrible script, and it includes every kind of excess you can imagine. Everything that went into this movie screams "BAD", but somehow what came out on the other end was pure, balls-to-the-wall FUN! You have 2 of the craziest actors of all time (Travolta and Cage) both overacting to a degree that looks downright painful. Meanwhile, director John Woo doesn't want to be outdone by these big acting performances so he makes a world full of gasoline so that everything will blow up fantastically, he has doves flying everywhere, and he includes a plethora of Mexican stand-offs involving more and more people every time. Yes, the science behind this movie is insane, and the plot makes no sense at all, so I'm never going to rate/rank it all that highly because I see all the flaws. However, this is one film I can't imagine someone watching and saying "That was boring." It's as if every 5 minutes the movie gets a shot of pure adrenaline right in the heart and it never lets down. The acting is over-the-top, the action is even more over-the-top, and any time you think John Woo will step off that gas pedal, he mashes it down to the floorboards again. It's so odd, because I don't like Face/Off in the way that I like good movies, the whole thing is so dumb! Is a movie really good when it's not intended to be a comedy but I can't stop laughing throughout? Despite my reservations, I'll watch Face/Off any time because it is one of the best "shut off your brain" popcorn blockbusters of all time.
November 9, 2016
Crazy storyline which seems to work. Some nice gun to fun standoffs. Can't imagine anyone else starring in this - Travolta and Cage are perfect. Decent direction by John Woo.
October 27, 2016
Best action movie of '97? maybe..but definitely a solid movie with really good performances .Travolta impersonating Cage and Cage impersonating Travolta..uggh just brilliant.
½ October 17, 2016