Face/Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Face/Off Reviews

May 20, 2018
Nick Cage acting at his finest caliber. A brilliant mix of science fiction and criminal thriller that has you pondering the true meaning of life, family and your own face.
May 19, 2018
Wonderful movie. Two of the greatest action/thriller actors of all time in Nicholas Cage and JT. The premise is so absolutely ludicrous that you know what to expect going in. The acting from Cage is over the top, more than usual as he's playing a psycho. John Travolta is trying to find a bomb and since Cage is in a coma, quickly agrees to cut off his own face, not tell anyone and replace it with Cage's face. The action and comedy ensue from here. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
May 19, 2018
Even though the over-the-top acting and melodramatic action is a decent guilty pleasure, part of me wanted to see the film take more risks by not embracing the camp and exploring the concept of identity even further.
½ May 17, 2018
4.5/5 Face Off is one of the most balls-to-the-wall insane movies I have ever seen. It'sgot great performances from both Travolta and Cage, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
May 14, 2018
20 years later this kind of 90's movie, for me, are just unwatchable. (and maybe this one in particular was pretty bad from the beginning)
½ April 28, 2018
a great cast with a lot of overracting that i can forgive because this film has some of the best action since terminator 2.
April 25, 2018
This movie is awesome as hell and is in my opinion one of the best action films of the 90s.
It can also be funny at times when Travolta's and Cage's character have each others faces.
½ April 13, 2018
cage and travolta have rarely been better (playing each other); an entertaining premise integrates with fun action sequences. the themes are subtly dispensed so it's never blatant or dumb.
½ March 31, 2018
On paper, Face/Off shouldn't work with its ridiculous premise and questionable casting but John Woo's competent direction made this into an instant classic featuring satisfyingly intense action sequences and fantastic performances from Cage and Travolta.
March 8, 2018
It's a gamble. SEEING john travolta fighting Nicolas cage is badass
½ March 1, 2018
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring john travolta and nic cage. The story is really interesting switching faces and they are trying to kill each other. John travolta and nic cage are too good, and they really have a range of character.
½ February 14, 2018
After winning an Oscar for a career high and realistic performance, Cage followed that up with The Rock, Con Air and the absurd Face/Off. You have to admire Cage's quirky direction but this is a mis-step.
I hated this film. It does not just ask you to suspend disbelief but to remove all thought and consciousness! The plot of this film is ridiculous beyond belief but the real letdown is the run of the mill direction.
John Woo was given the keys to Hollywood and never really delivered anything groundbreaking.
This film takes lots of predictable turns and the action is nothing new or particularly exciting.
Coming around the time of The Matrix. You can see why the Matrix was such a game changer, using the big budget to full effect.
In Face/off the big budget is wasted
February 11, 2018
Volte/Face n'a aucun droit d'être aussi intelligent, efficace et virtuose qu'il est. Pourtant, John Woo décida de transgresser les règles et de livrer un film d'action particulièrement réussi, entre son high concept complètement crétin mais joué au premier degré et sa montée crescendo vers l'actioner 90s ultime. Entre idées de mise en scène (la séquence des miroirs) et performances d'acteurs quasi-parfaites (John Travolta imitant Nicolas Cage qui imite John Travolta n'a jamais été aussi bon), Volte/Face est une gemme, un rare joyau qui n'existe que pour faire plaisir à son spectateur. Même au bout de 2h20, on en demanderait encore si le tout n'était pas parfaitement calibré pour être le petit chef d'oeuvre d'action des années 90.
January 23, 2018
Another masterpiece of bad film-making by John Travolta.
January 13, 2018
so why don't we trade back..

Face/Off

The concept will take its time to let it sink in but before you do, you find yourself already enjoying these characters of John Woo which offers kick back to the movie and bursts it out of the door.
½ December 28, 2017
Currently watching this on TV. This is probably the 20th time I've seen this movie, and it never gets old. Lead performances are great, and the whole concept is just silly enough to work. Pure entertainment from start to finish.
½ December 24, 2017
For the fact that I'm getting really giddy about laughing at somebody's reactions I decided that I'm really am giddy about laughing my @$$ off reviewing this Looney Tuney action flick Face/Off. That's right. It's about as over-the-top as it gets and many people in the world don't care because they enjoyed it and loved it for it's perfect cheesy action and intense violence. To me, I love everything about it and John Travolta and Nicolas Cage done really well in this. The premise I know what y'all thinking. It's ridiculous but who f£$king cares? They literally playing each other by putting their faces on each other after Sean Archer captures Castor Troy. John Travolta and Nicolas Cage played hilarious in their roles and I come to the point of laughing my f£$king @$$ at Castor Troy played by Nicolas Cage and yes, John Travolta. It's like I've been teasing my stepdad about Piggy Bear which Crunch Bandicoot says and saying what Sam the Eagle from The Muppets saying "The mussal's of this messal has refuse to touch my feet. Would you please rub my tudsies? Thank you." just to tease my friends. The hospital scene where Sean's and Castor's faces get switched over doesn't bother me at all cause I got over it much like the broken bones and when people don't know that Sean and Castor had switched identities they'll be confused. That's how over-the-top this movie really is. The best thing about this movie is the speedboat chase at the end and when people are on the edge of their seats through the scene they are gripped for how amazing this scene really is. Now that is just awesome despite the stuntmen showing. Face/Off is a fantastically made action film for it's beautiful shots with intense violence and intense action and hilarious moments with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. Now I know that you think it's a science fiction action flick but I don't see why it's sci-fi. Well, it just isn't science fiction until I've seen these two changing their faces. This is the kind of film that you don't have to think, you just enjoy. It's a film that will make you thrilled and laugh and don't care how ridiculous the story is and just enjoy it for it's entirety. Give it a watch and see if you wanna take it's face... off.
November 16, 2017
The movie keeps you interested since the beginning till the end. How the protagonist handle all the pain a terrorist caused him is fenomenal...
November 4, 2017
This is over-the-top, nonsensical, awesomeness! It's beautifully stylized and again I just love the extreme overreactive-ness it has. Great job Travolta, great job Cage, and great job director John Woo!