Face/Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Face/Off Reviews

August 19, 2017
the best intense non-stop action film I have ever seen
July 24, 2017
Utterly outrageous from inception to final product, never failing to entertain its audience with sheer over the top action and storytelling. Cage and Travolta are both let loose by Woo but miraculously steered into strong emotional performances with fantastic intensity throughout. It hasn't all aged very well with its special effects and Woo's little nods, while held back are still noticeable. The first hour isn't necessarily paced very well, it's slow and rather bloated but does add a great deal of weight for the final act.
July 21, 2017
While it would be easy to point out each glaring flaw in the movie, John Travolta (Saturday Night Live, Pulp Fiction) and Nicolas Cage (Gone in 60 Seconds, Raising Arizona) do more than enough to overcome the main flaws, with both of them delivering great, if not over-the-top performances, to match with the unique concept, where after the discovery that a time bomb would be going off soon, the two end up playing each other in an attempt to outwit the other until the end. Accompanied by a score that can touch your heart strings, and wonderful direction by John Woo, and you have a movie that could get through virtually any flaw if executed properly, like surgery. And executed properly, it is.
July 11, 2017
Possibly the best bat-sh*t crazy movie ever made. Watching it again 20 years after its release I can't believe my then-girlfriend, now-wife agreed to marry me after taking her to see this film and being TOTALLY blown away by it.

This is TRULY a Thank God This Got Made classic!!!
June 29, 2017
Fenomenal action flick.
½ June 28, 2017
Cage playing Travolta and Travolta playing Cage in an action heavy sci-fi classic directed by the legendary John Woo. That's all you need to know. Watch it.
½ June 6, 2017
This was a film that I finally had to return to after years of being away from '90s action films, just because at the time they left a bad taste in my mouth. This one has its charms, but is still very over the top and filled with corny moments, so I'm only able to give it and its pseudo-science a middling grade, even fi a few of the stunts or fight bits are pretty amusing.

Rental at best?
½ May 10, 2017
Stupidly awesome and awesomely stupid; it's undeniably entertaining, despite some of it being possibly unintentional. Although, I gotta say, I'm thinking most of Nicholas Cage's wackiness was on purpose (maybe not to John Woo, but at least to Cage himself).
½ April 14, 2017
The worst. Absolute dung. Poo poo. Excrement. Ca ca. *stinky*
½ March 24, 2017
Butts. Weird face touching. Double Cage.
March 20, 2017
One of the great action films of the 90's, and dare I say probably Woo's best film.
March 14, 2017
This is literally one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life. I literally got an account on this site so I could give it a review since it had received such positive reviews.

This entire thing is so stupid, with so many plot holes and so many completely ridiculous things that happen. It is over the top and insane but still takes itself seriously.

I think this is Nic Cage's worst movie. He's playing a crazy person or a tortured person and still somehow he comes across as completely insane but not in a good way.

I literally cannot say enough bad about this movie. The only reason I enjoyed this movie at all is because I enjoy bad movies, but this was too bad even for me.
½ March 12, 2017
"Face/Off" is preposterous but hopefully doesn't take itself too seriously. The script is kinda sketchy, yet the action makes up for it, as does the way that the lines between the two main characters and their lives become increasingly blurry as the film progresses. John Travolta and Nicolas Cage have some great moments and some mediocre ones as well, similarly to director John Woo, who at times displays an exciting sense for aesthetics in his action and at times just feels a little expendable.
February 25, 2017
1928 Was 69 Years Old In 1997.
½ February 10, 2017
AMAZING! watched it for the first time in more than 10 years. was wondering if it would hold up to how much I used to love it or if it would have old movie qualities. not only did it hold up, it exceeded. I picked up on so much more than when I was a kid and a less experienced movie watcher. such an awesome idea for a story that may have seemed ridiculous at the time but not any more with today's technology. Just a great idea that was taken in all the right places. the characters were awesome. the acting was intense, especially by cage. the movie was smart. great directing and action sequences. superb musical score. there was a little bit of unrealistic and some over the top but I don't mind. this is probably the best action flick of the pre-CGI era (about 7 viewings)
½ February 9, 2017
John Woo's typical "doves coming to attend the climactic battle" cliche aside, Face/Off is a stylish, action-packed, appropriately over-the-top and sometimes even darkly comedic with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage doing great jobs portraying each other...literally. A really entertaining action thriller with an interesting premise.
February 5, 2017
Nicolas Cage and John Travolta star in John Woo's Face/Off. Travolta (Sean Archer) and Cage (Caster Troy) are both archrivals particularly after Caster has killed Archer's son. Several years later the feud is over when Archer finally catches Caster and puts him in a coma. Soon after this however, they find out that Caster's brother has a bunch of bombs hidden somewhere, and the only who he would possibly tell the location of them would be his brother.

A new surgical procedure comes out that allows Archer to put on the face of Caster. The police try and get Archer to undergo this procedure temporarily so that he can try and learn the location of the bombs. Although he is reluctant at first, Archer soon believes this is the only way for them to truly get the information needed. Archer puts on Caster's face and goes undercover in prison to obtain the information. In the middle of it however, Caster wakes up for his coma and forces the plastic surgeon to get Archer's face. He then uses his police connections to keep Caster in prison and help his brother out. This leaves Archer no choice but to bust out of prison and claim back his life.

Face Off is a relatively entertaining action movie with a clever enough premise. The two leads undergoing the transition of their new roles in the film was a funny premise. In one instance Troy (With Archer's face) is upset about his bother being killed and a cop asks him why is he upset, only to get shot in the head was quite funny. The stunts are as you would in a typical John Woo film, slow one on one double pistols being shot constantly in slow motion, with plenty of unnecessary flips and dives in the process. There is quite a ridiculous stand down scene where about 7 different people all have guns pointed at each other based on their history with the two leads. Travolta does a decent job as a villain as he does in most of his films and Cage puts on one of his typical performances. The two are given a decent surrounding cast with Joan Allen as Archer's wife, and Dominique Swain and Gina Gershon put on sexy performances as Archer's daughter and Castor's sister respectively. Face Off is not Woo's best film, but most fans will find it entertaining enough.

-2.5.2017
February 3, 2017
I will never trust another rotten tomato review because of this. This movie was horrible. Stupid totally unrealistic trite crap.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
90s classic. Good memories of this film.