Factotum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Factotum Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Not as good as Barfly or Tales of Ordinary Madness, but still a worthy Bukowski adaptation. Dillon gives a low-key performance as an alcoholic womanizer who longs to be a published writer. Funny and true to life.
½ November 28, 2015
A pretty good Matt Damon flick about a slacker/writer, who cannot hold a job, and just goes about his opportunistic life not really giving a damn about anything. Why it's intriguing I am not sure, but Dillon has some acting chops that make you intrigued by it. He is so mellow, chill, ignorant, and honestly doesn't give a damn about life or anything in it. The movie has some pretty slow pacing, but we watch as Matt Dillon just gets by in life. He is somewhat of a talented writer, but seems to be opportunistic if he will ever make it or not. If he does he does, if he doesn't he doesn't. Dillon was perfect for this role, and his charisma and charm allows us to enjoy this film. Don't expect a lot, but expect to get back more.
September 11, 2015
Matt Dillon is good as the degenerate who wants to be a writer but not that good to really make this a good movie. The story is not interesting really after you get the idea of what it is saying it doesn't really go anywhere after the first act. There are a few humorous moments, but all these elements make for a mediocre movie.
½ August 22, 2015
What an excruciating film to watch! We are supposed to buy into the premise that the main character is some type of hero, enduring the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune as he simply just wants to be a good writer. In fact, the movie shoves that premise down our throats. The problem is that what we see on screen is a soulless, empty alcoholic with no empathy for anyone outside of himself. He refuses to commit to any job or any woman who comes his way, purposefully (we assume) choosing awful jobs and trampy women who echo that non-attachment. Maybe that would be OK if the 'literature' he produces had merit, but if the samples he rambles on with in voice over are his best work, he should have been a farmer. They sound like a self-important college freshman's first efforts in Writing 101. Those voice overs, meanwhile, are delivered ala Matthew McCougheny's loathsome, satire producing Lincoln commercials, a low mumbling sans inflections. Watching this made me feel as though I was a poor guardian angel who had screwed up in the past and was condemned to have to watch over this man and see if I could get him to become a human being! The closing soliliquoy is insulting to any real artist, as he lays claim to having reached the only real freedom of living available to a sincere artist. Get me the puke bag, please.
½ July 7, 2015
I may have given it an extra star just because it's the only Bukowski novel we'll ever see on film.
½ April 6, 2015
This is a piece of crap, everything is bad. Nothing related to the book.
October 5, 2014
Dull, boring and uninspired. Its very plodding and uninvolved. Watch Barfly.
August 9, 2014
Adapted from a 1975 novel of the same name by Charles Bukowsi, it is a gritty arthouse moodpiece about the author's alter ego and his decadent existence before he finds fame.
½ July 5, 2014
Factotum- These are they Days of our Lives.....the semi functional alcoholic episodes
½ April 4, 2014
Quite dull, truth be told.
August 17, 2013
atmospheric. the cinematography was beautiful. it fills one with sorrow and i finished the film with a heavy heart. it's not for everyone but i liked it.
½ August 16, 2013
Only of interest to fans of Buk.
½ July 10, 2013
The dark humor along with the depressing tone of this film, which is by itself the most personal work (and possible portrait) of Charles Bukowski, is a great combination. Very recommended, especially because of the great casting decision that Matt Dillon turned out to be. What a jazzy, obscure performance!

May 29, 2013
A pretty funny movie. i can totally relate to the main character. Im practically him.
½ March 31, 2013
This movie is very slow, and almost seems to have no point. It attempts to have some sort of revelation, but never gets there. It is basically centered around an alcoholic loser that just doesn't care about anything and is ridiculously stupid.
March 3, 2013
pretty ok, funny, relaxed. i was put off by the abrupt ending
February 24, 2013
Disappointing. Clearly, Charles Bukowski does not translate to the silver screen. Read the book, already.
February 15, 2013
Matt Dillon is at his best as Bukowski.
½ February 13, 2013
based on several stories, most of which are apparently boring
½ February 10, 2013
An intelligent depiction of a man's struggle to stay on top and to write about life as he sees it and experiences it. It can be bleak at times(therefore genuine) but there is a lingering message of hope in this film amongst all the tangled aspirations and dreams.