Fantastic Four - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Four Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
A movie that never quite crosses the line into spoof territory but would perhaps have been more fun if it had. The plot isn't particularly engaging and the characters are largely forgetable . The movie does have it's moments however and is certainly not as bad as many would have you believe. It could however have been a lot better and feels very much like a movie put together by an uninterested committee.
November 11, 2016
Silly, campy and juvenile.
November 7, 2016
It sucked just as much as the remake! Human Torch was a pain in the gut! This piece of s**t was poorly done.
October 26, 2016
Maybe they should just give the rights of the fantastic four back to marvel. Obviously something needs to be done soon!
October 7, 2016
10/4/2016: An ok movie with an excellent cast. The story was ok, but felt rushed and not very deep.
½ October 4, 2016
Why does this movie exist? I really want to know who thought this would be a good idea. This movie is not fantastic. And I don't know if the new one was any better because I haven't seen it, nor do I want to.
½ September 25, 2016
Anybody for popcorn, because that's the type of movie this is. You can turn off your thinking cell for 90 mins whilst watching this. Highlight of this is Michael Chiklis the Thing, which is the heart and rock of this movie.
½ September 22, 2016
Boring, miscast, uninteresting and worst of all NOTHING HAPPENS!
½ September 8, 2016
Don't expect fantastic CGI or fantastic performances, for Fantastic Four fails to deliver any of that.
½ September 1, 2016
Ich gebe ja schon zu, dass ich ein grosser Comic Nerd bin!
Vor allem liebe ich die Comics aus dem Hause Marvel und DC.
Aber was frühere Produktionen von Marvel geleistet haben, dürfen sie sich nicht rühmen. Da haben nicht nur Daredevil und Elektra schlecht abgeschnitten, sondern auch dieser Film.
Wie man schon von dem Titel herausfiltern kann, müssen ja die Fantastic Four, fantastisch sein. Leider ist alles zur Mangelware verkommen. Sicherlich versuchen die Darsteller alles solide zu gestalten und machen nicht einmal schlechte Arbeit.
Aber die Geschichte ist so etwas von dünn und viel zu einfach abgedreht. Viel zu wenig Tiefgang, das Ganze. Auch gegen den charismatischen Bösewichten Victor Doom ist völlig unspektakulär. Dabei macht Doom in den Marvel Comics, manchen Helden das Leben schwer. Am besten haben mir in diesem Film Chris Evans und Jennifer Alba gefallen. Wenn man denkt, dass Jahre später Evans noch einmal zu den Marvels zurückkehrt und dabei noch eine sehr gute Figur macht. Als den Titelhelden Captain America. Alba sieht hier gut aus und macht eine gute Figur. Sie sieht man Jahre später leider nur in einem schwarz/weiss Comic von Frank Miller wieder: Sin City.
Fazit: Schade eigentlich, dass man hier nur Durchschnittsware geliefert hat. Aus dieser Heldentruppe, könnte man eine viel bessere Story machen!
½ August 27, 2016
horrible movie!! i hated it so much!
August 24, 2016
Don't listen to the other critics on this one, Fantastic Four is fantastic! The effects are great, some moments are humorous, and it actually moves along without lagging.
½ August 23, 2016
I give them credit for trying.
½ August 22, 2016
When I first saw "Fantastic Four," I remember specifically thinking that it was the worst movie I had ever seen, at least if you exclude my Niece's Barney videos. Ten years and a failed reboot later, it still is. There are certainly films that have fallen farther; movies that squandered a great idea or a great source, pictures whose unrealized potential haunts my dreams far more than this piece of drivel possibly could. But none of them aspired to so little and still managed to deliver so badly. I am deeply worried that the 45% audience rating and tanking of the remake just might direct an unsuspecting comic fan to this suckfest of a movie, and so it is with a pained heart that I remember, and I write.

In the days before Christopher Nolan took over Batman and "Marvel Cinematic Universe" was a thing that was said, comic/superhero movies had a playbook so simple that even the romcom playbook was jealous.

It starts with a hero that is either interesting or charismatic and can express two or more emotions, although the cooler his or her power is, the less their personal character matters. The leader of the F4 is Reed Richards, a science nerd. His power is that he's elastic, and yet he's played by a pine board with a quizzical face drawn on it, or as IMDb calls it, "Ioan Gruffudd." Jessica Alba plays Sue Storm, and manages sometimes to correctly emote frustration that people thinks she'd look good naked if she wasn't so invisible. Michael Chiklis turns into the Thing, a rock-man that is sad that it's a rock; while Chris Evans does all that is asked of him, which is to look like an athletic, pretty teenager and act like he is a teenager who knows he's athletic and pretty. In fact, the only talented acting, the only character with any depth and any pathos, is done by The Thing during a seven minute tangent. And when I say it's done by The Thing, I mean the CGI animation, not Michael Chiklis (a talented actor with little do to here). Grade: D.

The second part of the playbook, in an origin movie, is showing how the heroes got their powers, and how they are transformed. In F4, four people who already qualify to be astronauts fail to raise their shields too quickly and are hit with star dust. Their response is not inner turmoil, ensuring their secret identities, or really trying to reverse the process. They skip ahead pretty quickly to posing for magazine covers. Grade: F.

The final part of the playbook is the development of an archenemy to our hero, who has a need for something the hero is an obstacle to, so that they can oppose each other in a massive final fight se quence. The villain here, Viktor von Doom, is BFFs with the astronaut team, doesn't go to space, and then somehow...kinda gets jealous and turns himself to metal for no particular reason so he can dominate the world??? Even the Transformer movies had a nominal MacGuffin. Even The Green Lantern had a more colorable villain story. Grade: FU, audience.

There's something fundamentally problematic in splitting your hero cache between four uninteresting people with but one interesting power between them. Fantastic Four is the second of three awful movies to bear that name, and hopefully Marvel Studios will consign the franchise to the dustbin of history where it belongs. This particular iteration, however, is noteworthy for the studio's utter lack of interest in casting talented, film-experienced leads or requiring them to have character traits for such a big-budget production, for how infuriating the weak action and nonsensical plot was, and for how, in spite of the infuriation, the whole film just creates an underwhelming sense of blah. Some awful films are at least noteworthy or interesting for the way that they are awful; some even develop a cult following or get picked up in film school. Fantastic Four is not any of these things. It is merely a stain on human creativity, one which should not be viewed by anyone, ever.
August 17, 2016
This is STILL the best attempt to make the F4. It's not half bad.
August 14, 2016
While Chris Evans delivers some funny lines, the effects are decent and the action sequence at the end is worth the wait, Fantastic Four is generally bad. The film focuses more on the Four being all like "Our powers are so cool" rather than actually putting them to good use especially when you take into consideration the fact that the film comes up short on action and crime-fighting. Still, better off watching this than that horrible 2015 reboot.
½ July 29, 2016
Not as bad as the ratings would show.
jamrcla
½ July 18, 2016
Pretty good superhero film, The story was a little silly, Acting not very clever, Quite entertaining though, Some good effects and action makes it worth watching.
July 12, 2016
Non c'è molto da dire riguardo questo film.. ed è proprio questo il suo problema principale: resta nella più totale mediocrità. In poco più di un ora e mezza ci sono moltissimi buchi nella storia e non riesce mai a coinvolgere lo spettatore. La sceneggiatura è scontata, il montaggio e la fotografia poco curati, il cast non del tutto convincente. Per concludere la mia breve riflessione sul film volevo soffermarmi sugli aspetti positivi, ma credetemi sto facendo molta fatica a trovarne solo uno.
½ July 2, 2016
It's a fun movie. Good effects for the time. The cast is okay, it's just not the fantastic 4 I would have like to seen, its alright though. Truly shows how far we've come in the superhero genre.