Fist of Legend (Jing wu ying xiong) Reviews

• Feb 02, 2018

This is the best movie of Jet Li, and one of the only ones in which he fights without cables and without artificiality!

• Oct 15, 2017

A true masterpiece that delivers in everything martial arts, story and character development.

• Oct 02, 2016

Gordon Chan directs and Jet Li stars as Chen Zhen in Fist of Legend. He is studying engineering in Japan, when is notified that his master has been defeated and killed. He immediately returns to China to pay his respects and then challenge the man who defeated him. Upon confronting the person who is said to have killed his master, he realizes it cannot be him as he is no match for Zhen. He suspects his master has been poisoned as part of a long rivalry between China and Japan. He Fist of Legend features some excellent action sequences, as Li takes on fights ranging from 1 on 1, to 1 vs. 20. He takes on other masters, students and a crooked general. One fight includes him being blindfolded and they are forced to fight each other based on sound alone. The fighting sequences in the film are much rawer and feature Jet Li's abilities at his best, and do not feature wires, or other elements. This is the best aspect of this film. Fist of Legend also features a romantic element as he is in love with a Japanese woman, which is considered blasphemy for this time period. The plot is relatively simple, but this is solid Kung-Fu film. Jet Li has never been one of my favorites, but this is easily one of his best films. -10.1.2016

• May 05, 2016

As is the case with many martial arts movies, "Fist of Legend" is cheesy, predictable, and thinly-plotted, but Jet Li kicks some serious ass in slick, well-choreographed fights. I must say, however, that the final fight is rather disappointing, but, ultimately, you'll be entertained.

• Feb 24, 2016

Jet Li, a man who could remake Bruce Lee and actually have a great outcome. Great Kung-Fu flick, and great movie about acceptance.

• Nov 25, 2015

super movie i have watched this movie maybe 5-6 times

super movie i have watched this movie maybe 5-6 times

• Nov 01, 2015

This film is so similar to Ip man that it really isn't worth watching both, it's not a bad film just not too similar to a lot of others. I think that, if I lived in hong kong, I'd be so sick of martial art movies but I guess that there must be a big fanbase for them to keep on churning them out.

• Jul 12, 2015

Fist of Legend a très mal vieilli, mais en 1994, le film de Gordon Chan devait être une révolution dans le film d'arts martiaux, dans la mesure où les combats se rapprochent dans la vitesse d'exécution de ce qu'on peut voir aujourd'hui avec Donnie Yen. Il est alors dommage que le script ne soit qu'un prétexte pour enchaîner les bastons sous couvert de guerre Japon-Chine. Jet Li y est absolument génial, extrêmement charismatique et efficace même dans l'émotion. Certaines scènes sont franchement époustouflantes comme le combat entre Jet Li et son ancien professeur ou le dernier duel d'une violence inouïe. Fist of Legend est un pur produit de son époque qu'il faut apprécier comme tel.

• Jul 10, 2015

My favorite of Jet Li's many fine Hong Kong martial arts films. I'd always thought this film seemed reminiscent of Bruce Lee's "The Chinese Connection," but in reading trivia on IMDB, I realized they were playing the same real-life character in this story a of China and Japan rivalries. The story is merely passable, but the martial arts are the real star of this film. Li is in top form, as is fight choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping (who American audiences have seen his fight work in the likes of "The Matrix" and "Kill Bill 1 & 2"). This film is one that I've watched repeatedly and each time it holds up and never fails to impress. A must see film for fans of martial arts films with wire work and is also probably a good film as an entry point for martial arts newbies. Watch it!

• Lane Z Super Reviewer
    Jun 28, 2015

Jet Li started gathering a reputation that he was just a poser through his first few films. For some reason, people thought he wasn't the real deal. So what he did was recreate with heavy influence one of Bruce Lee's most famous films, Fist of Fury. This is why Fist of Legend is considered one of his breakout roles in the martial arts lore. There's some big skull cracking and bone breaking in the first fifteen minutes. While the plot follows your prototypical kung fu line, there were actually a few strings pulled to keep you on your feet if you weren't paying enough attention. The sound effects could have been a bit more on point and not so conspicuous and it seemed like the dialogue was a bit delayed, but when it came to actually seeing the hand-to-hand combat on screen, there's nothing better for its time.