A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

½ January 16, 2018
Favorite after Good, The Bad, and the Ugly!
½ January 12, 2018
Probably Clint's worst Western movie. Terrible Western.
½ January 11, 2018
I loved it. Clint Eastwood as the Man with No name is my favorite movie character of all time.
½ December 2, 2017
It's nice to see a protagonist who is allowed to be greedy, but still holds the moral high ground. The only issue I have with the plot it why fire wasn't used earlier long before Eastwood came.
November 18, 2017
No words, very good.
November 2, 2017
A Fistful Of Dollars: A Fistful of Dollars is a smart, original and powerful western. With Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo template,as well as a stunning and powerful preformance from Clint Eastwood, makes it a western masterpeice.
November 1, 2017
I have loved this movie all my life
½ October 19, 2017
I'm desensitized. It was good. I think I appreciate it for its true merit. However I admit to tuning out the final 30 minutes, which proved to be very good from what I did pick up on.
October 19, 2017
*Whistling Intensifies*
October 19, 2017
I've watched many films in the Western genre over the years mainly starring actors such as John Wayne or James Stewart and directed by John Ford and Anthony Mann respectively.
This 1964 film is my and indeed was at the time the U.S./U.K.s first foray at a new genre of Western, the Spaghetti variety!
Shot on a shoestring budget the cast is unknown and gritty. Be it not just in names but unshaven and dirty looks.
Clint Eastwood in his first film role is fantastic as the 'Stranger's or Man With No Name character who rides into the town of San Miguel penniless but rectified this by identifying the unique opportunities that lie ahead in putting the two ruling families in the town (The Romps and the Baxters) who co-live in the town at war.
The film was directed by an Italian Sergio Leone and has a mainly European crew and locations including Spain standing in for the U.S.
Television commitments at the time prevented Clint from starring in an American shot film apparently.
The music score by composer Ennio Morrecone is excellent and adds to the gritty atmosphere.
The first of what became known as the 'Dollars' trilogy. Now for part II, For A Few Dollars More.
½ September 17, 2017
It's the first act of the Dollar Trilogy, and Leone, Morricone and Eastwood aren't cheating. Astonishing are the shots merged with the score, astonishing are the echoing dialogues and the terrific construction which shape altogether 'A Fistful of Dollars' - a superb western whose only improvement that I can think of would be its connection with other films that will come, enriching it with the adding of new characters who would share the sensational dimension of the landmark Man with no Name, whose impressive sangfroid and stoicism is even a source of comedy.
September 14, 2017
The first in a new era of tough-guy westerns with ridiculous story, gratuitous killing and only 4 different gunshot sound effects.
September 12, 2017
clint eastwood proves over and over that hes the ultimate badass
½ September 9, 2017
Once again Sergio Leone's westerns surprised me. And Eastwood also did an outstanding performance.
September 7, 2017
A Fistful of Dollars represents western cinema at it's most daring. When blood wasn't present in westerns, Leone introduced graphic violence instead of the standard "gun is pointed, fired, and the person it was aimed at would just fall." So many of Leone's mannerisms have become so incredibly famous that it is hard to recognize that it's all the result of one film. The traditional "western movie soundtrack" style originated from Ennio Morricone's beautiful and haunting work, the "silent bounty hunter" type character that is so prevalent in westerns originated from The Man With No Name, who speaks with his guns instead of his hands. This movie has no fluff. Everything is straight to the point, and the action is fast paced, but the fight scenes are long. Nothing feels out of place, with the exception of a few dubbed over voices for characters portrayed by non English speakers, but that goes to show that a multi-lingual cast can still play cohesively in a movie when it is put together by a master like Leone.
This is a movie that should not be missed by ANYONE.
September 2, 2017
Leone's first western certainly isn't his most ambitious. However, the familiar, simple take it has on the anonymous-man-coming-to-town-and-helping-the-good-guys story is so wonderfully told with the director's unique touches of style and unflinching propensity for violence. The action is fun, intense and exciting, and the bad guys are presented so that hating them is an absolute joy. Gritty and engrossing.
September 1, 2017
Clint Eastwood is one of the finest actors out there and he even more proves it in this great western.
½ August 28, 2017
Still effective and original over 50 years on.
August 11, 2017
I can see why A Fistful of Dollars is a classic. It features villains you hate, a protagonist you admire, an entertaining story and plenty of action. Clint Eastwood is iconic in his role as the Man with No Name ("Joe"), as is the music by Ennio Morricone. I really enjoyed this movie.
½ July 26, 2017
8.5/10. 7-21-2017. Original rating: 6-8-2012 (8/10)