A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

September 24, 2016
Clint is great and I enjoyed this one but found it a little slow and confusing at times. A lot better than Once Upon a Time in the West, but not quite as good as The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. 3/5.
½ August 5, 2016
Yes it's a Western interpretation of Yojimbo, and it's a damn good one.
July 21, 2016
Music and directing take over this spaghetti western beauty.
½ May 30, 2016
Spawned an era of Spaghetti Westerns, but the movie itself doesn't stand up that well to the test of time in my opinion. Like the visual style and Eastwood, not much else.
May 28, 2016
Poignant, but well executed and score and acting that makes every moment entertaining and fulfilling.
May 15, 2016
Just about everything in this movie is iconic from the music to the costumes to the characterizations, but ya know what stands out most to me on revisiting the film again after a few years? Gian Maria Volontè's performance as Ramon, the villain. He is hands down one of the most intimidating and frightening villains in movie history and should get a lot more credit than he does for the effort.
½ April 15, 2016
A Fistful of Dollars is the excellent beginning to Leone's dollars trilogy. As a love letter to Kurosawa's Yojimbo, the film creates a gritty old west and introduces a slick, sharpshooting man with no name. Few characters compare to the cool Clint Eastwood gunslinger, who has served as an icon when it comes to the Western genre. While not my favorite of Leone's westerns, A Fistful of Dollars set the pace for what his films evolved into and those films will remain as classics for the rest of time.
March 11, 2016
Great Clint Eastwood movie
½ March 9, 2016
One of many takes on 'Yojimbo', yet retold with creative and clever cinematography from Leone, who makes movies as 'fairy tales for grown ups'. Eastwood's Joe (better known later as 'Blondie') isn't as likable as Mifune's Sanjuro. But I've never been a fan of him anyway.
Out of the Dollars Trilogy movies, I've seen this one the second most frequent amount of times. It's an entertaining watch and quite pretty to look at at times.
½ March 1, 2016
Sergio Leone's spaghetti Western amped up the genre's violence, but also has unexpected heart. Ennio Morricone's, er, I mean, Dan Silva's, soundtrack also elevates the film to high art.
½ February 16, 2016
The more often I watch it, the more I like it. Sergio Leone re-inventing a genre, and Eastwood is the right man at the right place.
½ February 5, 2016
This is the 1st in The Man With No Name trilogy. It introduces the righteousness of Eastwood's protagonist, "The Man With No Name". This film is a great Leone spaghetti Western, and one of the best ever made. A classic. You do not have to watch this prior to watching The Good, The Bad And The Ugly or For A Few Dollars More.
January 15, 2016
this film spawned a era of these types of films. this may have been one of the first but is not the best and is average
January 14, 2016
This was a little sparse and the dialogue stilted. It had a vaguely Shakespearean sense to it - two families, a small town, who will kill who... and the mysterious stranger....
January 8, 2016
This movie was hard to follow and often made me zone out. The movie had pretty over dramatic acting. I thought it was very random overall. The movie was very confusing and left was to many questions unanswered.
½ December 28, 2015
A classic Eastwood moment, but you have to really be into spaghetti westerns to want to sit through this. I'm more of a fan of Peckinpah Eastwood so this was somewhat of a struggle.
December 23, 2015
This is the first Clint Eastwood movie I watched. And was it amazing!! Add to it the score from Ennio Morricone and some great screenplay... It's wonderful all through (only to be bettered by For a Few dollars more).
Must watch.
December 20, 2015
A Fistful of Dollars lays the foundation for amazing sequels. The movie itself is good but nothing incredible.
December 15, 2015
Tremendous box office to budget ratio, this film has an intricate story for its time and genre.
½ December 2, 2015
A Fistful of Dollars is a fine western. The action sequences are great, the score is obviously memorable, and Clint Eastwood's grizzled performance is is considered iconic for a reason; that said, it's more than certainly the worst in its trilogy given the fact that the series' reputation and what the film actually delivers are so disparate. It feels extremely long at only 100 minutes (which is obviously inherent to the genre), with several superfluous sequences involving characters rambling off unnecessary exposition and a tedious back-and-forth narrative that takes far too long to corral the two competing families into the climactic showdown, dragging out the proceedings in a way that never feels compelling. While A Fistful of Dollars doesn't measure up to its legacy, it is the first in the trilogy and it's certainly possible that it was a dry run for those later installments that might prove more rewarding.