A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

August 11, 2017
I can see why A Fistful of Dollars is a classic. It features villains you hate, a protagonist you admire, an entertaining story and plenty of action. Clint Eastwood is iconic in his role as the Man with No Name ("Joe"), as is the music by Ennio Morricone. I really enjoyed this movie.
½ August 6, 2017
It's the first act of the Dollar Trilogy, and Leone, Morricone and Eastwood aren't cheating. Astonishing are the shots merged with the score, astonishing are the echoing dialogues and the terrific construction which shape altogether 'A Fistful of Dollars' - a superb western whose only improvement that I can think of would be its connection with other films that will come, enriching it with the adding of new characters who would share the sensational dimension of the landmark Man with no Name, whose impressive sangfroid and stoicism is even a source of comedy.
½ July 26, 2017
8.5/10. 7-21-2017. Original rating: 6-8-2012 (8/10)
June 28, 2017
Per un Pugno di Dollari é muito fiel ao seu estilo faroeste, difícil perceber algo que sobressaia do formato Bang-Bang, é um clássico que abriga um dinossauro do cinema: Clint Eastwood. Roteiro simples e direção suficiente.
June 23, 2017
A fistful of dollars is a film that I consider to be a work of art; Since the soundtrack is very good and stays in the head up to the photograph which is good; Not to mention the script that binds you in history; You will never know what will happen; You wait and be surprised; A great movie
½ June 16, 2017
I've watched Yojimbo (1961) many times but couldn't remember whether I'd seen this film from Sergio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy or not. You can see why Kurosawa and co. successfully sued to get a part of the profits - Clint Eastwood effectively takes over the Toshiro Mifune character, albeit transplanted to the West (although Yojimbo clearly borrowed from the western genre too). Of course, Eastwood brings his own unique iconography (lots of squinting) to the part just as Mifune had earlier (lots of scratching) - both were larger than life (and went on to play the same character in one or more sequels). Leone uses the widescreen gloriously and the Spanish terrain is a good stand in for the Mexican setting. The plot famously sees the Man/Samurai arriving in a lawless town and playing two rival gangs off against each other until both are dead and he can ride away with all of their money. He's tough, cool, and in some ways more moral than the rest. The bad get what's coming to them and the innocent and vulnerable are set free, all to the magnificent sounds of Ennio Morricone. I still can't remember if I'd seen this before (or one or both of its sequels), so there is something about the blur of characters here (aside from Eastwood, of course, and Gian Maria Volontè as Ramon) that makes it difficult to stick. For my money, I prefer Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) or Akira Kurosawa, for that matter. Still, you can't deny the trailblazing effect of Leone's trilogy and Eastwood's dogged longevity.
June 15, 2017
The beginning to "A man with no name" Sergio Leone creates a western masterpiece that still holds up today. A Fistful of Dollars may not be as good as The Good The Bad and The Ugly but it is still a great film. Clint Eastwood is the ultimate smart, witty, and dangerous man. This film paved the way for Westerns.
June 4, 2017
about as realistic as most Westerns, which is to say not realistic whatsoever, and as such tedious to watch. A waste of a few hours. Not one interesting or believable story line.
June 1, 2017
Stealing only from the best of cinema, both Western and Eastern, director Sergio Leone and actor Clint Eastwood debut strongly in A Fistful of Dollars, a low-budget film in the Wild West centered on a drifter (Eastwood) caught in a feud between two rival gangs in a town held hostage. Some tropes have not stood the test of time too well (ex. Damn the pride of a ruthless killer, foregoing strategy for principles), others have stood well (ex. Every action sequence, most prominently the now classic "showdown" stance... though Leone would soon perfect this in later movies). Add some refreshing twists, like the complete absence of exposition for Eastwood's character, and you have a pretty good Western action flick.
May 20, 2017
The first great western of Mr. Eastwood's great career!
You need to see it!
April 30, 2017
Clint Eastwood is a true cowboy!
February 23, 2017
Clint Eastwood. Sergio Leone. Boom.
½ February 19, 2017
It's unfortunate Clinton has shown his right wing political extreme opinions. I can no longer enjoy any of his cool western movies. Very sad to see his legacy turned into a pile of crap with his bigoted anti black president rants.
February 19, 2017
Really good film to watch as a newcomer to Western films... Awesome. Great acting, soundtrack, visual style and story
½ January 27, 2017
Great western. Sergio Leone knocks another one out of the park. Not quite as good as Once Upon a Time in the West but still amazing.
½ January 25, 2017
The best film in "The Man With No Name Trilogy". Clint Eastwood has already perfected the look and his style in one of his first Western movies. I found his character to be most likable in this film compared to the other two in the series. The camerawork was magnificent. It's definitely a classic that everybody should see once. (First and only viewing - 7/15/2010)
January 21, 2017
10 out of 10:

Packed with plenty of action to satisfy western fans, A Fistful of Dollars helped western films along with its great directing and acting.
January 21, 2017
been so long... need to watch it again
½ December 30, 2016
Flashes of brilliance are buried under an obviously minuscule budget and a plot that I couldn't follow even when Kurosawa was telling it (the most simple of political intrigue generally just flies right over my head). Even if he gets better later, Leone's already pretty great at the tension before a gunfight, and it's never boring in spite of its janky B-movie pacing (my god, the exposition; I'd hate to see the version before Eastwood removed half the dialogue). Not a great movie, but trashy fun.
December 4, 2016
Yes it's a Western interpretation of Yojimbo, and it's a good one.