Flags of Our Fathers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flags of Our Fathers Reviews

November 20, 2016
Less focused on battle and more on the psychological trauma that war has on the average person. This is a war movie that makes you question what a hero really is. Filmed incredibly well, Clint Eastwood's portrayal of Iwo Jima is saturated and depressing, much like the mindset's of the people who partook in the battle. The stand-out character is Ira Hayes, one of the men hailed as a hero simply for raising an American flag on the top of the island's mountain. It's a tragic story, but it's done so well. Clint Eastwood never disappoints.
September 4, 2016
Flags of Our Fathers made me look at war and heroism differently, which is pretty darn astonishing given just how many war films and books I've consumed over several years. It's not just a well made film with complex characters, but its philosophy of war and heroes is truly brilliant. The film was a lot more cynical leaning about the manufacturing of the war process than I expected, so I enjoyed that element of it greatly. Also, Icelandic black beaches! Talk about a stunning location!
½ August 2, 2016
74%
Saw this on 1/8/16
Eastwood's own music gives this film a soul. It is not as good as Letters from Iwo Jima mostly becuase it is over patriotic and indulgent in war cliches. However, from time to time the film manages to connect emotionally.
July 13, 2016
Reality versus lies and propaganda.
July 9, 2016
The story behind one of the most iconic war images, and the consequences thereof. The photo of six men - five Marines and one Navy Corpsman - raising the US flag over Mount Surabachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in WW2 is one of war's most memorable, stirring, famous and iconic images. We see the aftermath of the flag raising - how three of those men went back to the US as heroes and were used to promote war bond sales. Most of all, we see how they react and cope (or don't cope) with the fame and hero status. Through flashbacks we also see the lead-up to the flag raising, especially the bitter, bloody fighting on Iwo Jima, and the fighting afterwards, which was equally bloody.

Incredibly powerful movie-making by Clint Eastwood. Based on the book by James Bradley, son of the Navy Corpsman in the photo, this an accurate, gritty depiction of war at its most gruesome. Probably even more graphic than Saving Private Ryan in its depiction of the sheer brutality and wastefulness of life and limb of war.

On that note, Stephen Spielberg is an executive producer of this movie, and you can see his hand in the special effects scenes. Fantastic CGI, especially in rendering the huge armada of ships and vast amount of planes involved in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Far more than just an action movie though. At its heart is the meaning of heroism, and how people who don't regard themselves as heroes react to being treated as heroes. Quite an emotional journey as we see the three individuals cope, or not, with the fame, fame some of them regard as undeserved. Also emotional in that they remember all their friends who died on Iwo Jima, friends who, to them, were the true heroes of the battle.

Ryan Phillippe, Jesse Bradford and Adam Beach put in solid performances in the three main roles. Good support from a host of actors: Barry Pepper, Jaime Bell, John Slattery, Paul Walker, Neal McDonough, among others. Cast also includes, in a minor role, Stark Sands, later to find fame in the Iraq War mini-series Generation Kill.
June 21, 2016
Better second time, liked the personal story more than the war scenes. Good ending of them at the beach playing
½ January 3, 2016
Good movie not just about firefights and operations in war.
September 17, 2015
A well done salute to the brave men who fought at Iwo Jima.
½ September 6, 2015
Looking forward to this
½ August 24, 2015
An incredibly underrated film.
½ August 23, 2015
I literally wanted to stick a large metal object in my eyeball watching this snooze fest, god awful movie.
June 29, 2015
6/27/15 This film makes you hate war. It puts into perspective the mass slaughter that went on in both of the world wars. It was basically just luck if you survived. The war scenes were really vivid and realistic. The film's topic is intriguing, but I found the film itself somewhat average. I like the idea of the film better than the film itself. It does a lot of skipping around in time (flashbacks and flash forwards), which I didn't really feel added to the story. It is a fairly sad tale over all, and it certainly makes you think.
June 5, 2015
The storytelling is a little weird, and the tone seems to change at parts...
but Overall it's still a very well made film with some heart-pounding war scenes. Flaga doesn't quite hold up to Iwo Jima, it's companion and more emotionally engaging masterpiece.
June 4, 2015
a great movie that revivals the truth behind the photo.
May 28, 2015
The action in this movie is top notch, but the deep messages are what make this film really amazing! I believe that this is a movie that everyone needs to see at least once in their life.
May 23, 2015
Eastwood is one of our great modern day story tellers through film. Thankful each Memorial Day.
April 26, 2015
There is a good story to tell about the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, but not this way. I lost count, but there are at least 3 story timelines in this film, and the narrative bounces jarringly between them. I think one or two scenes even repeat. Yeesh. Still, the story of the politics behind the famous picture and the sad tale of poor Ira Hayes kept me from turning this off. And in a way, that was a bummer, because the end is so cheesy and rah-rah that I cringed physically and even made a whimpering noise. I just wish I had stuck to "Saving Private Ryan" which had an extremely superior beach landing scene.
March 22, 2015
Although this movie may not be the best, it's strongest and key point is being historically accurate, which more than makes up for anything it may be lacking.
February 28, 2015
This was a good one. The acting was decent, and the war scenes effective But the direction and the strong theme of respect towards those it depicts is what boosts it a level up.
February 4, 2015
This has been a real struggle to watch, not because of the harrowing scenes of the battle.... no, because never have I watched such a boring film. No disrespect to the actual people who were in that battle and sacrificed themselves in the line of duty, but this film is terrible. Apart from the battle scenes that are well staged and exciting enough, I found it hard to care for any of the characters as they all seemed to blend in to eachother. Big disappointment.