Flirting With Disaster Reviews

• Jan 09, 2021

This was a movie that just got too ridiculous. I tried rating before and there was an error. Saw on HBO.

• Nov 15, 2020

A couple laughs here or there. Nothing special though.

A couple laughs here or there. Nothing special though.

• Aug 18, 2020

Ben Stiller searches for parents in rollicking road trip.

Ben Stiller searches for parents in rollicking road trip.

• Apr 17, 2020

Solid premise, brilliant casting, yet the first 2/3 of the film is a snore, embarrassingly so. Then, hallelujah, Alan Alda and Lily Tomlin show the amateurs how it's done. This is especially easy for them, of course, when all the funniest writing intersects with their entrance. Tea Leoni is a delight and always amusing, but the script fails to do her justice.

• Jan 13, 2020

This was a good little situation comedy on wheels. It was creative and interesting. There were times where it bogged down a little, but overall I think its an underrated gem.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Dec 12, 2019

The idea, that a new father previously adopted goes searching for his real parents, is only a device (and a thin one at that) for Mr. David O. Russell to have his characters (in search of a play) to argue with one another about whatever their individual priorities happen to be, or simply to showcase the actors acting - which is not a totally bad thing. It's just not going anywhere specifically. To underline this he has his crew move about the country from place to place, but it never really matters because the friction goes on regardless of location, which is the only take away I garnered from this. Do they argue creatively? That'll be for you to decide. I enjoyed Patricia Arquette, George Segal, and David Patrick Kelly, but that was just me.

• Aug 23, 2019

Alan Alda is the best actor of the group. He steals the show.

Alan Alda is the best actor of the group. He steals the show.

• Jun 02, 2019

This is one of my favorite comedies. And what a great cast!

This is one of my favorite comedies. And what a great cast!

• May 15, 2019

I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed by this film after loving Russell's feature debut Spanking the Monkey (1994). It wasn't that this film didn't have it's charms, Mary Tyler Moore chief among them, but it lacked the darkness and realism that made that film so funny and alternately disturbing. It was funny to see an early Ben Stiller, post Reality Bites (1994) but pre Zoolander (2001), and his two leading ladies are now major dramatic actresses. It was a pleasant 92 minutes that entertained the whole family without being too tame in the humor that it used and I enjoy almost anything that Russell has directed, excluding Accidental Love (2015). Mel Coplin, Ben Stiller, is the adopted son of Ed, George Segal, and Pearl, Mary Tyler Moore. He is married to Nancy, Patricia Arquette, and they have recently had a child together but he feels unsure about naming his child due to his identity issues relating to being adopted. He decides to make a cross country road trip in order to track down his biological parents and they are joined by the attractive adoption agency employee Tina, Tea Leoni, who intends to make a documentary about Mel's experiences. They quickly discover that the people they had assumed were Mel's real parents are not and they are sent off on a comedy of errors as they encounter several strange figures along the way. The funniest scene in the movie comes towards the end as a massive car chase occurs in which both Mel's real parents and his adoptive parents crash their car due to a combination of absurd circumstances. The other stand out scenes in the film include one in which Josh Brolin's bi-sexual ATF agent licks Arquette's armpit and the confrontation of Stiller with two attractive blondes who may just be his sisters. The film manages to do absurdist comedy better than several other films from this area because it builds characters that seem broad on the surface but fleshes them out and takes the jokes based around their one or two personality traits in unexpected directions. The movie is also surprisingly sweet as we do get emotional moments in which Mel's adoptive parents lament the fact that he does not see them as being his real parents. Watching Moore and Segal play a couple was always going to have a certain novelty to it, Mary Richards meets Steve Blackburn, but the two actors don't just sit back and let their icon status do all the work. Moore has some great emotional moments as the welling up in her eyes and her delivery of fairly standard â~sad mother' dialogue is top notch. Tomlin and Alda appear to be having great fun playing the kooky parents and the sight of them laughing it up is joyous. It is the sight of these comedic legends crashing into one another that is so exciting. I would have liked the film to be a bit funnier in some parts as even for a slight film there are very few gags or legitimate laugh out loud moments but I suppose that was not the tone that Russell was going for. The arguments between Mel and Nancy never had the bite or humor to them that say Walter Brennan and Hildy Johnson did in His Girl Friday (1940). I'm not expecting classic film dialogue, I really don't like Bringing up Baby (1938), I just wanted something that felt more light and effervescent than this film was clearly trying to go for tonally. Is it so wrong to want more laughs in your comedies? This is a solid little comedy that is fairly overlooked especially when considering comedies that aren't particularly funny like Stripes (1981) and Old School (2003) are touted constantly as being extremely funny. I found this to be a very watchable film with occasional moments of touching melodrama and a few scene that really pull the laughter out of you. This is also the best I have ever seen Brolin as he displays comedic abilities that I had never noticed in him before and he and Arquette make their scenes wonderfully awkward. I would recommend you watch this film just don't set your expectations too high.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!