Floating Weeds (Ukigusa) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Floating Weeds (Ukigusa) Reviews

October 5, 2016
This film is far superior to "perfect." This film is only made by the god of cinema.
½ August 15, 2016
I think this is the best film of Ysujiro Ozu.
Ozu's simple camerawork and Kazuo Miyagawa(director of photography "Ugetsu" and "Rashomon")'s choosing color had been showed us beyond the movies.
April 10, 2014
Ozu is absolutely wonderful.
½ February 20, 2014
Ozu is like a gentle breeze or an unexpected hug; slight & emotional. He is the most zen of any filmmaker I know.
October 12, 2013
The word 'melodrama' should not be allowed to describe any film with as lasting an effect as this one's.
½ June 20, 2013
Bolstered by Ozu's visual sensibilities and a powerful final act.
June 13, 2013
Well this is my introduction to Ozu and it's a highly overrated one. I mean to long indulged film offered me nothing. One beautiful camera shot in the rain and all of a sudden this has some of the best cinematography ever. A predictable and overly laid out story. Awful, and I mean dreadful acting. I don't see anything classic about this. I will credit the color usage, but other than that this is really not special.
April 25, 2013
Friday, March 16, 2012

(1959) Floating Weeds
(In Japanese with English subtitles)
DRAMA

Directed by Yasujirô Ozu and labelled as a remake of the 1934 silent version called "A Story Of Floating Weeds" with a whole new cast with Ganjirô Nakamura as Komajuro leading a small theatre group entertaining villagers from village to village. For the the leader intentions for this particular visit to this particular village was to see his one of old flames who also happens to be the only one who carries his well groomed son but poses as his uncle. Komajuro's current mistress, the one who he's currently travelling with becomes rather jealous about this since as the film progresses spends a great portion of time with his son rather than spending any time with her motivating her to ask the young female teenage troupe to sabotage this father/ son.

Colorful making the most of it's surrounding areas, I have to say that the original one is slightly better in the storytelling department since the young boy travelling with the troupe is an absolute standout in the original is almost absent in this film focusing more instead on the effect the lead character has on his biological son as well as others.

3 out of 4 stars
April 7, 2013
By far my favorite of Ozu's. What a phenomenal film.
March 13, 2013
This is a really good update of Yasujiro Ozu's A Story of Floating Foods, however personally I prefer the original black and white and silent version.
½ October 20, 2012
What a bunch of players, and I'm not restricting myself to the strictly theatrical definition here. For such a simple plot, the running time is a bit long for my tastes.
September 15, 2012
I watched it twice and still was left a bit chilly. Too similar to the original to be an enticing remake. Nothing terrible here, just not captivating for me. All do yeoman's work.
September 14, 2012
There is a lot to like in this, particularly some of the minor characterisations and the cinematogaphy - the opening shots are fantastic - but not up to his best work.
August 24, 2012
Most remakes try to viciously detach itself from it's original and take a new path to the story, or just remake it with a new style, but still wanting to be different. But, with this ,"Floating Weeds" has successfully beaten it's original (an already VERY accomplished film), but doesn't have any aggression towards it, but rather a tender love for the film. "A Story of Floating Weeds" and "Floating Weeds" both have the same story, and like a lot of masterworks, it has a story that just creates an open opportunity for analysis of itself and characters (Frankenstein, King Kong, The Leopard, Citizen Kane, etc.). The 1934 version is almost strictly an analysis, with beauty and much mastery. While that much depth is already masterful, it limits itself from achieving complete greatness. This 1959 version doesn't make the mistake of overanalyzing it's pitch-perfect premise. It ends up with more beauty, emotions, power, sense of life, and with more breathing room, all in such great balance and pace. My favorite scene, which I'm glad Ozu kept was the one where Komajuro is yelling at Sumiko and it is snowing in the middle of the room. How much it accomplishes makes it eligible for the title of the greatest film ever made. Which, by some, it is. This is definitely way up on my list, and is an essential viewing.
July 24, 2012
Perfectly shot, this period tale of jealousy, love and betrayal stays strong in the canon of Japanese movies. One of Ozu's finest.
July 10, 2012
The red used in the film symbolizes that Bruce Willis is a ghost--
FORTY YEARS TOO SOON!
May 5, 2012
While I did not think it was a great as Tokyo Story, it is still proof that Ozu is one of the best directors I ever came across......
April 17, 2012
A movie of utmost simplicity and beauty.
½ March 21, 2012
A remake of his earlier effort, Ozu doesn't really shake up the story at all. But with a color palette for masterfullly composed shots, and sound for dialogue and music, he has more tools to play with. Worth seeing.