Forbidden Lie$ (Forbidden Lies) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forbidden Lie$ (Forbidden Lies) Reviews

November 18, 2015
Outstanding-- the best documentary I have ever seen
April 6, 2012
I am usually drawn to real life dramas,but sometimes turned off by long,dragged out scenes of nonsense babble,but I will still see this movie before I make any advance judgements.
April 13, 2011
One of the few documentaries that you rarely come across where you honestly don't believe what you just saw. I didn't know what was more unbelievable, the fact that Khouri actually did what she did by writing the book and claiming it to be true, or the fact that someone so obviously guilty of fraud and conning every single person she has met (pretty much) was so willing and involved in taking part in this doco.
Kudos to Anna Broinowski for unfolding such a story, in such an interesting way.
January 29, 2011
Compelling and intriguing documentary about Norma Khouri, a woman who wrote a best seller called Forbidden Love about her best friend's honor killing in Jordan. The film follows Khouri through the events of the book, soon uncovering an amazing web of lies so intricate it seems even Khouri can't tell what's real and what's not anymore. One of the best examples of the unreliable narrator I've ever seen. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so just check it out, I think it's available on HBO.
½ November 26, 2010
Fascinating! At times excruciating! I immediately wanted to read the book - but hey - it's out of print!

Screening tonight on SBS2 - highly recommended.
½ November 16, 2010
Truth and fiction: some people have a hard time separating the two. Norma khouri is one of those people. In 2003, Khoui published her memoir, Fobidden Love, about the honor killing of her friend Dahlia by her father for besmirching their familiy. Khoui became an overnight sensation, her book flooding the market and making her a celebrity, particularly in Austrailia. In the press, Khouri was seen as a champion of women's rights in Jordan, a woman who fled her homeland a virgin, and whose only concen was to tell the plight of her friend's death. One year later, revelations about Norma Khouri came to light. First, she had only lived in Jordan until the age of 3 (with a 2 week visit in 2000). Second, that she was not a virgin but a mother of two children who she neglected for her cause. Finally, the biggest shock of all: Khouri's memoir was a work of fiction.

Regardless of your opinion of Norma, you know that people are upset with her; she lied in her book, deceived the media, abandoned her children (on several occasions), and tarnished the image of Jordan. I could go on and on, but let's sum it up: Norma is a great con artist, she can say one thing then later say that she as misquoted. In one instance, a Jordanian journalist goes over all the mistakes Khouri made in her book, from the location of the Jordan river to the choronology in the book. What was Khouri's response? To paraphrase, "It doesn't matter where the river is, I'm just telling the story. It doesn't matter if I get all the facts straight, it's the story". Norma can spin tales like no other; if she is accused of lying about her virginity, she says that it was to protect the cause and spread the truth about "Dahlia".

In this story, there are only 5 truths: There was a woman named Norma Khouri, she at one time lived in Jordan, she wrote a book, became successful, and then was accused of deception. In Norma's world, truth is flexible.
½ October 25, 2010
Utterly fascinating, like a tightly scripted thriller, where you don't know what the truth is even after the credits have rolled. There are even some bizarre unexpected twists, and the kind of access to the mind of a con artist you don't normally see. It's really amazing, like a true life version of The Usual Suspects.
October 10, 2010
Absolutely fascinating story about the woman who fooled the world. I am still dumbfounded by the whole thing. Highly recommended.
July 12, 2010
I LOVED THIS GIRL'S GUTS!!!!! I just saw the documentary and immediately got on my computer to search a web site that i could voice my opinion. I will indeed keep this short and to the point the best i can. YOU GOT BALLS NORMA KHOURI!!!!!! I believe every word you stated about the so called Muslims in Jordan and their strange and unlawful traditional beliefs in their god "Allah".What gives them the right!!! They need their memories refreshed ,that there is but only "ONE GOD"! How dare them play god with their families and other people lives!!!!!!I use to belong to the Nation of Islam for 14yrs. So yes i do have a valid voice of opinion as to what i believe to be a possible truth! And I believe the FORBIDDEN LIES that these corrupted forgein governments have lived and still continue to live and cover up in today's time, for their own sick and perverted traditional ways of living and beliefs. IT DOES STILL EXSIST!!!!!But only our TRUE GOD will hand out the justice that is due to them and all involved.I respect this lady's courage to seek justice for her dear best friend. Jesus NEVER backed down from the truth!!!!GOD BLESS you Norma on your difficult journey to prove the truth to all of these NON-GOD FEARING un-human beings...My prayers go out to NORMA KHOURI and your beautiful and honorable mission to uncover the truth!!!..... p.s. in order to understand what this lady(NORMA KHOURI) is trying to do, you must believe in God and truly know what's right and who's really wrong here..pss by the way Norma i dont care what your true name is I understand the reason for all that too!!God Bless!!!Brenda K.
½ July 2, 2010
Very interesting! Reminiscent of The Watermelon Woman (1996), but with far more twists and turns that leave you wondering where the actual truth lies and whether it even matters. It also reminds me of the debates around the book, I Rigoberta Menchu (1983), and the concept of testimonio.
May 17, 2010
This is one of the best documentary I have watched!! I like how the director tells the "truth"~ Mixing all the documentary modes in one documentary~~ GOOD!!
December 29, 2009
Really quite an interesting doco, but it's oh, so long. I skimmed through the actual film, but enjoyed some of the bonus material on the DVD.
November 21, 2009
Really interesting documentary. It seemed to go from bad to worse with this woman and her stories. My end impression of her was that she was slightly crazy.
September 12, 2009
Chilling study on an evil cunning ***** from hell
½ August 21, 2009
i had never heard of this book, so i had no opinion about it either way. but they did a good job researching the author's past full of lies. people should know to be wary of true stories, and first-person accounts. her publishers really dropped the ball when it came to validating her story.
August 21, 2009
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. I was sucked right into the bizarre story of Norma Khouri and her insistence that she's telling the truth, even when she's found to be lying over and over. I'm absolutely fascinated with this story.
August 19, 2009
Great doc! Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing!
½ August 6, 2009
This is a most bizzare tale of a literary hoax perpetrated by this Jordanian/US woman. Its mind boggling. Must see I recommend.
August 6, 2009
This bitch is crazy. I cannot believe all her lies. It is amazing that she got published. Stupid woman!
½ June 3, 2009
brilliant and shocking on so many levels,
if there is one thing to learn form the movie, it's that Jordan River does not flow through Amman!