The Forbidden Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Forbidden Kingdom Reviews

October 4, 2016
That was awesome. I want a sequel.
½ October 3, 2016
The Forbidden Kingdom is directed by Rob Minkoff, and it stars Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Michael Angarano in an adaptation loosely based on the novel Journey to the West about an American teenager that watched a lot of martial arts films, gets the store owner shot, and tells him to bring the staff to the rightful owner, which sent Jason to ancient China. When my last homecoming day is over, I felt like watching this movie on my DirecTV list all of a sudden and decided to watch it, which wasn't bad at all. The acting is really good, and honestly at first I thought that Michael Angarano was going to be annoying and stick out like a sore thumb in the bad way, but he wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be, and did the best he could with his role. The first thing that I wanted from this film, was to see Jackie Chan and Jet Li fight each other, and I definitely got one fight scene, but I didn't care as it was the best part of the film. The fight scenes are entertaining to watch, and there are some funny parts in there. The plot isn't that original however as it's the typical type of story, and there are some scenes in there that felt pointless and more or less filler. Not the best collaboration that there is with Jackie Chan and Jet Li, but The Forbidden Kingdom is an enjoyable film that brought a lot of fun effort to it.
August 28, 2016
Very entertaining westernised adaptation of Wuxia film culture that, surprisingly, doesn't shy way from the more obscure eastern themes.
June 18, 2016
Watched with preteen. Fun.
May 28, 2016
There are somewhat cheesy filler moments, but it is overall an undeniably fun movie with some great action. Jackie Chan and Jet Li shine in their roles.
May 12, 2016
i ,loved it but did jet li really need to have 2 roles?
½ May 2, 2016
Built as the first pairing of these martial art legends, the action remains strong, but the light plot makes you check your watch.
April 25, 2016
Jackie Chan and Jet Li are brilliant together!
March 30, 2016
Cheesy, cliche and predictable. 1/10
February 25, 2016
Kung fu movies have never hit the spot for me but im fond of Jackie Chan and Jet Li so I gave this a go and I enjoyed it, Simple yet same old predictable plot, Some good fight scenes, It always did my head in that with all the amazing well done kung fu action do they feel the need to use wire stunts it spoils it, Apart from the action there isn't too much to get excited over unless your under the age of 12.
January 30, 2016
Fighting: Good. The story and American Kid: awful.
November 13, 2015
Pleasant enough story but the action gets muted by too much story,where's more of the fight scenes with two of the greatest movie fight men in the history of cinema.
November 9, 2015
It was ok. The plot was interesting and the setting was unique. The fight scenes were very well done but there wasn't enough of them and there was lots of boring parts.
October 3, 2015
Corny of course, but with a pleasingly charming fantasy element and plenty of nods to the history of the genre.
½ September 22, 2015
Chan plus Li = reel good actioner/chop sokky pic
September 5, 2015
Meh. Action was great but often too fake, too much CGI, crappy story etc.
August 14, 2015
incredibly disappointed by it, story needed something more
June 24, 2015
Though this isn't the greatest martial arts film in my library, it is one of the most entertaining. The plot isn't too original but the choreography and seeing Jackie Chan and Jet Li on screen together is just an interesting spectacle that never gets old. If you can get past the reality that this is made for kids and is meant to be a hokey popcorn flick then you may be able to find some enjoyment in this film. I do recommend this absolutely.
½ May 13, 2015
Thursday, November 18, 2010

(2008) The Forbidden Kingdom

As an action fan for both Jackie and Jet Li's Chinese films, I should've expected this film wouldn't be any good because of the Hollywood budget etc.. and was totally sucked in as soon as I saw both Li and Chan in the same sentence, since it's something I've never seen before with thousands of Chan and Lee fans- I bet even anticapating that with this pair up would consist some of the same adrenlaine rush as their other films, while at one time living in their native Hong Kong! Boy, was I wrong, and what a waste of time- I even paid a price of admission to see this turd, they call a film! The best way to describe this film is a made-for-tv, as an afternoon special fluff for kids still in pajamas, and not for mature adults and Jackie Chan/ Jet Lee fans alike! The simple-minded formula involves some little tyke always being bullied, gets sent back in time to learn all of life's lessons! Both Jackie and Jet Li play double roles, with make up and acting that most pre-schoolers would love, but to any normal adult would be disappointed! They're no hard fought martial arts! No Jet Li and Jackie Chan trademark action styles shown, and already aware that alot of things they do in much of their previous films are dangerous and would be able to kill anyone in real life!
Their is only one fight scene in the "Forbidden Kingdom" between the two and I have to say that it's not much for any die hard fans to even care! Yes, this a PG 13 film- a PG film at it's worst! Go back to Hong Kong Jackie and Jet while you still got talent, why waste it on American movies!

1.5 out of 4