Free Fire Reviews

• Jul 13, 2019

Brilliant and funny film, excellent performances and really tight writing. Its a rather morbid movie but darkly funny, understandable its not for everyone but i would definitely give it high praise.

• Jun 27, 2019

Fun, suspenseful, and expertly made.

Fun, suspenseful, and expertly made.

• May 29, 2019

Basically one long drawn-out shoot-out is decently staged; combined with a colorful cast of characters it holds one's interest to the end.

• May 18, 2019

Seems like a Tarantino wanna-be. That in itself would not be too bad except it's held at night so the movie is quite dark. I always think that intricate lengthy scenes shot in low light are done so to hide bad acting and poor scenes. I struggled to stay focused whilst watching it.

• Apr 27, 2019

Wheatley allows his notorious black humour to resurface, and with 90 minutes of mindless shootouts, he reaches his goal.

• Apr 18, 2019

Free Fire is a movie where a bunch of people shoot each other. I've enjoyed a few movies set in a confined space, such as Phone Booth, Panic Room, Buried, and of course, Reservoir Dogs, which has a huge influence on Free Fire, so the idea of a 90-minute warehouse shootout movie could work. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't have any compelling or memorable characters. Shouting character's names in between shootouts doesn't make it easier to remember the characters, especially since most of them look very similar. Between that and the confusing editing, it's often hard to tell who's shooting at who and where the characters are in the warehouse. Watching uninteresting characters shooting each other also became very boring and repetitive. Characters would often get shot in the leg or arm and crawl on the floor for most of the film. Occasionally, they'd stop shooting each other and exchange some shit talks and banter, which are only sporadically funny. Free Fire would've been much more fun as a short film. As a full-length feature film, it's fun for a while, but then it becomes exhausting when nothing was being accomplished unless it serves the plot. Characters can shoot each other with their endless reserves of ammo and not kill each other, unless it serves the plot. Not like it really matters whether they live or die since none of characters are even likeable.

• Apr 17, 2019

crappy almost comedic gun fights. Glad to see it bombed in the box office

crappy almost comedic gun fights. Glad to see it bombed in the box office

• Feb 26, 2019

Agonizing to watch. Bored to tears.

Agonizing to watch. Bored to tears.

• Feb 23, 2019

The premise is clever and the tone Wheatley shoots for (somewhere between comedy and violent action) makes for fun viewing as he serves up humorous dialogue, a barrage of bullets, and many a violent death. The cast is also fantastic and play their wildly different characters well. The problem is there's not much substance to anything and what little we're given wears thin very quickly; about half way through you realise that 'Free Fire' has said and done just about all it's going to and isn't looking to offer any more. That leaves about 40 mins. worth of repetitive and somewhat pointless viewing, meaning you're glad when it ends, and that's never really a good thing. Nevertheless, I think it's still got enough smart and entertaining set pieces to warrant a watch.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Feb 23, 2019

If you want to read the review I wrote for this, go to letterboxd.com/HankIsDead514. I can no longer post long reviews on here and I'm not writing two separate reviews for the same movie.