Friday Night Lights Reviews

• Jun 25, 2020

The characters aren't engaging enough to make it more than good, but the way it tackles the town's obsession with Football helped.

• Jun 14, 2020

If you grew up and went to high school in Texas, you know the importance of football and what it can mean to a town. Friday Night Lights delivers

• May 19, 2020

The movie that inspired the tv series. I never seen the show but I know this is a really good sports movie and worth watching.

• May 12, 2020

Most sports flicks are formulaically indistinguishable, even when factual based, and are only defined by the emotional resonance in the contagious spirit towards a cheerful result aligned with the game's audience and fast-paced along the players. But this particular story is minimally powerful rather than just being typically spirited, riveted by genuine stirred drama that focuses on the hardships of high school football leading up in pursuing the big calling to, through and after college, which was all driven by strong performances adapting the praiseworthy societal commentary stance of its source material. (B+)

• Mar 15, 2020

If you are a fan of football/sports movies, this film is right there with the best of the best. As a former college football player, this movie portrays the game better than any other football movie. From the High school two-a-days, to the brother-ship bond with teammates, life lessons, and in-game scenarios... this film is my favorite football movie to date. And, it's a true story. Everyone loves a true story.

• Mar 08, 2020

This sports drama was ok. Billy Bob Thornton and the rest of the cast did a decent job in this movie, but it was their greatest performances. The story to the movie was alright, but I wish it would've been more interesting. In my opinion, the television show with the same name is much better than this movie. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. If you haven't seen it yet, don't waste your time.

• Nov 07, 2019

Friday Night Lights is a movie that shows the obsession that certain areas of Texas have when it comes to football. These people are so passionate about the sport that they all flock to high school football games, have ridiculously high expectations of the coach, and idolize the players. You can tell from early in the film that this environment is quite toxic for the kids, and keeps them from living anything close to a normal life. It also turns most of them into damaged or spoiled teenagers, and therefore not the type of characters I want to celebrate for a 2-hour film. The style of the movie also doesn’t feel personal or focused on any particular players. We get to know several of them on a surface level, but this is more of a slice of life drama, which is a style of movie that I do not enjoy, and the abundance of unpleasant people didn’t make that much easier. I’ll admit, when I watch sports dramas I’m looking for something inspiring, not depressing. I don’t feel I can talk much more about my feelings towards Friday Night Lights without delving into heavy spoilers, so I’ll warn you all now that’s where I’m headed. I think the strangest thing about this film is that it touts the fact that it is all “based on a true story,’ and yet the story is so unremarkable I don’t understand why anyone thought it would make a good film. I mean a few writers and several studio executives thought we needed a movie about the team that LOST the state championship? When I saw the movie the first time, I was livid that I spent all that time watching this team only to see their failure at the last minute. When I watched it this time, knowing the end, I was less annoyed because they set up that this is a town that needs to experience some loss because they are entirely too caught up in the sport. I wasn’t as mad, but I also didn’t care all that much this time. It has moments (most of them when we get to watch football being played) but most of the way through I just found Friday Night Lights to be a bit soulless and bland.

• Sep 16, 2019

Its a crime that when people hear 'Friday night lights' there mind jumps to the show (which was great in its own right), but FNL the movie is truly the greatest sports film since Rocky. The acting and dialogue are so great that there are moments you forget that you're not watching a documentary. Everyone can find a character that they can relate to-- people with family issues can see the love hate relationship that Don Billingsley has with his father. People looking to move on in life can relate to Mike Winchell wanting to play college football in order to leave his small town life behind. People looking to find them self can resonate with Boobie Miles once he realizes that he'll no longer be the football player he once dreamed of. Overall this should be mandatory watching for all sports fans, and movie fans in general.

• Aug 05, 2019

Unfortunately I was 3/4 through the movie and my friend ruined the ending for me. Still I enjoyed the movie for the most part. "you wanna win put Boobie in".

• Jul 02, 2019

Few films are truly elevated by their soundtracks, but the scores/songs composed by Explosions in the Sky capture the solitude of youth in suffocating situations (lost in their father's dreams, the isolation of a small Texas town, the aimlessness of high school etc.).