From Beyond - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

From Beyond Reviews

October 14, 2017
great movie almost as good as reanimator
½ May 7, 2017
It was interesting seeing Jeffrey Combs as the hero, feels like a spiritual sequel to Re-Animator.
February 11, 2017
Bloody, Slimy and perverse, From Beyond is a highly entertaining piece of horror cinema. Stuart Gordon brings back most of the Re-Animator crew in another one of his Lovecraft inspired gorefrests. Pure gross out fun!
½ February 7, 2017
Terrific piece of pulp horror that is an amazing treat for fans of this sort of film ("Re-Animator," "Night of the Creeps," "Dagon," etc.), gonzo over-the-top horror that's also smartly made. The team behind the cult classic "Re-Animator" followed that film up with one that I would are is even better. As with that film, this one is VERY loosely based on an H.P. Lovecraft story and made essentially a completely new story. What is true to Lovecraft's story is the basic premiss of a scientist making a machine that makes resonant vibrations that stimulate the peoples' pineal gland, activating dormant senses that allow them to see and experience a world that is all around us all the time, but imperceptible to our limited six senses. It's a pretty cool basic premiss and the story that gets aded around that premiss is that Crawford Tillinghast, the assistant of the scientist behind the resonator, is the only survivor of the machine's first use. After telling police what he's seen, he's placed into an insane asylum, but is soon release when gorgeous psychiasrist Barbara Crampton wants Tillinghast , played by the always great Jeffrey Combs, to return to the scene of his menotors death and to resume his experiments. They're also accompanied by Ken Foree, who I don't think I've ever seen in anything outside of George Romero and Rob Zombie films. To reveal much more would spoil the film, but the filmmakers go absolutely over-the-top, just as they did with "Re-Animator," though I don't think this film is quite as tongue-in-cheek as it's predacessor, which I also think works to it's benefit. I will say that the monsters created in this film are wildly creative and entertaining. Sure, they're kind of corny by today's special effects standards, but there really is something to be said for drippy, gooey, practical special effects being better than CGI. Lovecreaft famousely described his monsters and creatures as indescribables, but I'll have to give director Gordon some bigtime credit for coming up with some wildly outrageous creatures. Top this all off with underrated film composer Richard Band's best score and you have a 1980s horror classic. And one interesting bit of trivia, the resonator sound effects were sampled in the The Beastie Boys song "Intergalactic."
December 11, 2016
A work of genius by a true master in Stuart Gordon at the height of his career, when Empire Pictures commanded decent budgets and effects work. Deft use of mostly interiors and sound stages once again. Brilliant acting from the great Jeffrey Combs and always steady Barbara Crampton, who reverse their respective roles in The Re-Animator to great effect. Wonderful practical effects, great set design and lighting. It's everything you want a classic American 1980s horror film to be, and it's also one of the best Lovecraft adaptations ever (Gordon directed nearly all the other contenders).
½ October 12, 2016
Another venture into HP Lovecraft territory from the team that gave us RE-ANIMATOR. A couple scientists have unforseen results with "The Resonator". Definetely for those who liked their other work, great effects.
½ October 12, 2016
Another highly entertainment horror film from Stuart Gordon. It has the familarity of Re-Animator while being a different story. There are great effects, silly moments, and a overall cool story. The ending is a bit weak. Great cast and strong characters.
½ August 21, 2016
Sci fi body horror based on a Lovecraft story. Hammy, gory, and a lot of fun.
August 4, 2016
Stuart Gordon's lewd H.P. Lovecraft adaptation is 80 minutes of mad scientist mayhem, 1986-style.
Part insincere body horror, part psychosexual schlock, the film takes gratuitous liberties with a shaky story and is carried by its gorgeously grimy rubber and prosthetic effects.
A sweaty, twitchy Jeffrey Combs is ideally cast as the poor nerd unable to pull it all together, but it's the film's undertones of dread and tangible monsters that give it real lasting value. Lovecraftian critters have seldom looked so good.
July 25, 2016
From Beyond is based on a short story by H. P. Lovecraft and is actually one of the better Lovecraft adaptations. Whenever I see a movie based on a Lovecraft story, I always have to watch it. So, the story follows two doctors who made this machine which lets you see what you're not able to see in the world. It starts to extend your pineal gland and you can see these creatures moving in what you would think is an empty space. It's not too well explained, nothing really is explained in any of Lovecraft's stories, so this is no exception. And one of the doctors crosses over to the other side and goes evil. The other doctor destroys the machine and is sent to the asylum because noone believes him. A psychiatrist there decides to give him a chance and they go and rebuild the machine to prove him sane. The story is quite intriguing, but what shines the most about this movie are the effects! Yes, the CGI is horrible, no doubt, but there's barely any in this movie. The effects I'm talking about are the practical ones. The main monster looks breathtaking! It reminds of Grant from Slither, but this one is more moveable and brutal. This movie is insane! It contains so much gore, blood and great monster design that I couldn't help but cringe at moments because of how disgusting it was. Trully unnerving movie. The acting was good, especially Jeffrey Combs as Crawford. The ending was great. I loved how hopeless and bleak it was. It was as disturbing as the rest of the movie. All in all, this is a great adaptation of the short story by Lovecraft, and even though it can't really be explained, it's well worth the watch for its amazing makeup and practical effects, as well as the story.
July 6, 2016
Bizar and weird movie, from the makers of Re-Animator (1985), and two of the same actors. It even has the same sort of camp value to it, but this one is better made. Jeffrey Combs returns again as a mad scientist, and he's great for this type of role, even if his performance is over the top, and Ken Foree is cool too. But really the craziest thing about this film, besides all that, is the special effects, they are so well made and pretty disgusting with little limits to how gross it can be. It's not a comedy, but it found it actually a little funny from time to time. Recommended !!
July 4, 2016
3.7/5

From Beyond is as disturbing as a Cronenberg film and as interesting and deep as classics as Hellraiser, and while it struggles to reach the levels of greatness it deserved it shure does deserve a much bigger cult following.
½ March 22, 2016
Maybe not as memorable or colourful as Gordon's previous Lovecraft adaptation Re-Animator, but it still boasts fun performances and incredible (and admittedly charmingly corny) practical effects. It's definitely not for everyone, but fans of schlocky horror will love it.
½ February 27, 2016
A doctor invents a machine that stimulates the pineal gland. Too bad for them that they can see into an alternate dimension that harvest monstrous beings that want to eat their brains. Inspired by the short story from H.P Lovecraft
October 30, 2015
A very good H. P. Lovecraft inspired film. Bizarre but interesting story and amazingly disgusting special effects.
October 26, 2015
A gruesome and entertaining H.P. Lovecraft cult classic.
October 26, 2015
Good film with the horror star Jeffrey Combs
October 5, 2015
It grows tense and mysterious with excellent special effects and make-up while always holding our interest, but in the last half-hour it goes completely astray and over the top, losing its direction and becoming a hilarious mess with an insane climax.
½ August 31, 2015
It promises sensuality, insanity, and gore, and that's exactly what it delivers. A decent semi-sequel to Re-Animator.
August 23, 2015
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I liked it more than Re-Animator.