From Beyond - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

From Beyond Reviews

½ October 12, 2016
Another venture into HP Lovecraft territory from the team that gave us RE-ANIMATOR. A couple scientists have unforseen results with "The Resonator". Definetely for those who liked their other work, great effects.
½ October 12, 2016
Another highly entertainment horror film from Stuart Gordon. It has the familarity of Re-Animator while being a different story. There are great effects, silly moments, and a overall cool story. The ending is a bit weak. Great cast and strong characters.
½ August 21, 2016
Sci fi body horror based on a Lovecraft story. Hammy, gory, and a lot of fun.
August 4, 2016
Stuart Gordon's lewd H.P. Lovecraft adaptation is 80 minutes of mad scientist mayhem, 1986-style.
Part insincere body horror, part psychosexual schlock, the film takes gratuitous liberties with a shaky story and is carried by its gorgeously grimy rubber and prosthetic effects.
A sweaty, twitchy Jeffrey Combs is ideally cast as the poor nerd unable to pull it all together, but it's the film's undertones of dread and tangible monsters that give it real lasting value. Lovecraftian critters have seldom looked so good.
July 25, 2016
From Beyond is based on a short story by H. P. Lovecraft and is actually one of the better Lovecraft adaptations. Whenever I see a movie based on a Lovecraft story, I always have to watch it. So, the story follows two doctors who made this machine which lets you see what you're not able to see in the world. It starts to extend your pineal gland and you can see these creatures moving in what you would think is an empty space. It's not too well explained, nothing really is explained in any of Lovecraft's stories, so this is no exception. And one of the doctors crosses over to the other side and goes evil. The other doctor destroys the machine and is sent to the asylum because noone believes him. A psychiatrist there decides to give him a chance and they go and rebuild the machine to prove him sane. The story is quite intriguing, but what shines the most about this movie are the effects! Yes, the CGI is horrible, no doubt, but there's barely any in this movie. The effects I'm talking about are the practical ones. The main monster looks breathtaking! It reminds of Grant from Slither, but this one is more moveable and brutal. This movie is insane! It contains so much gore, blood and great monster design that I couldn't help but cringe at moments because of how disgusting it was. Trully unnerving movie. The acting was good, especially Jeffrey Combs as Crawford. The ending was great. I loved how hopeless and bleak it was. It was as disturbing as the rest of the movie. All in all, this is a great adaptation of the short story by Lovecraft, and even though it can't really be explained, it's well worth the watch for its amazing makeup and practical effects, as well as the story.
July 6, 2016
Bizar and weird movie, from the makers of Re-Animator (1985), and two of the same actors. It even has the same sort of camp value to it, but this one is better made. Jeffrey Combs returns again as a mad scientist, and he's great for this type of role, even if his performance is over the top, and Ken Foree is cool too. But really the craziest thing about this film, besides all that, is the special effects, they are so well made and pretty disgusting with little limits to how gross it can be. It's not a comedy, but it found it actually a little funny from time to time. Recommended !!
July 4, 2016
3.7/5

From Beyond is as disturbing as a Cronenberg film and as interesting and deep as classics as Hellraiser, and while it struggles to reach the levels of greatness it deserved it shure does deserve a much bigger cult following.
½ March 22, 2016
Maybe not as memorable or colourful as Gordon's previous Lovecraft adaptation Re-Animator, but it still boasts fun performances and incredible (and admittedly charmingly corny) practical effects. It's definitely not for everyone, but fans of schlocky horror will love it.
½ February 27, 2016
A doctor invents a machine that stimulates the pineal gland. Too bad for them that they can see into an alternate dimension that harvest monstrous beings that want to eat their brains. Inspired by the short story from H.P Lovecraft
October 30, 2015
A very good H. P. Lovecraft inspired film. Bizarre but interesting story and amazingly disgusting special effects.
October 26, 2015
A gruesome and entertaining H.P. Lovecraft cult classic.
October 26, 2015
Good film with the horror star Jeffrey Combs
October 5, 2015
It grows tense and mysterious with excellent special effects and make-up while always holding our interest, but in the last half-hour it goes completely astray and over the top, losing its direction and becoming a hilarious mess with an insane climax.
½ August 31, 2015
It promises sensuality, insanity, and gore, and that's exactly what it delivers. A decent semi-sequel to Re-Animator.
August 23, 2015
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I liked it more than Re-Animator.
July 22, 2015
Awesome, old fashion-y mechanical effects laden pulp-y horror from the 80s. My favorite Stuart Gordon movie. Uses H.P. Lovecrafts name and actually does have a genuine Lovecraftian feel. The whole resonances and co-mingled realities idea is intriguing.
April 4, 2015
H.P. Lovecraft was a reclusive eccentric so it's appropriate that the movies I've seen inspired by his stories are over the top in a good way. The From Beyond story isn't good or bad. It allows for a lot of amazing special effects. Even if you don't like the movie it can still be seen as a showcase of disgusting and expertly done special effects. The transformation scene at the end is a must-see for fans of The Thing. Jeff Combs is great. He has a nervous energy that makes you excited when he's on screen. He has the same kind of screen presence that Bruce Campbell has, only Campbell is badass and Combs is peculiar. From Beyond isn't as good as Re-animator, but it's better than Castle Freak.
March 11, 2015
Yeah, I guess I liked it. This film stayed busy most of the time and changed up to prevent boredom with several gory scenes to its honor. Memorable.
½ March 8, 2015
Como suele ser habitual en muchas películas de serie B, la idea de la que parte From Beyond es bastante buena, pero no queda del todo bien explotada.

En este caso no es peor que otros, y la verdad es una película altamente disfrutable si te gustan los maquillajes excesivos y el gore, pero la forma en la que se va desenvolviendo la trama es algo torpe, y las actuaciones (salvando la del genial Jeffrey Combs) no son muy buenas.

Da la sensación que esta misma obra en manos de Cronenberg habría sido pura maravilla y es que el material de base es ciertamente interesante (¿carne de remake?).

Un título para disfrutar de un poco de casquesría gore.
January 22, 2015
Blood and guts and gore and gloop and a little bit of S&M - just what HP Lovecraft envisaged I'm sure