Fun Size - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fun Size Reviews

June 21, 2016
Good movie. I like all of the part but mostly at the end.
May 26, 2016
You can name just about any teen comedy cliché there is, and Fun Size is almost guaranteed to feature it. A typical nice girl who doesn't realize that the perfect guy is right under her nose? Check. The best friend who realizes that friends are more important than social status? Check. The nerdy guy friend who breaks out of the friend zone and gets the girl of his dreams? Check. The pretty boy who the protagonist initially fawns over? Check. All of these characters following their by-the-numbers arcs while engaging in a typical "cover up the effects of the misadventure before mom finds out" plot? Check.

Here is a film that so desperately wants to be a modern Adventures in Babysitting, or any of John Hughes' beloved 80s coming-of-age tales, or any 80s teen comedy for that matter. Unfortunately for Fun Size, it lacks what made all of those films so special: heart. The last act crams in as much heart as in can (including an oddly specific tie-in to The Beastie Boys, for some reason), but the rushed nature doesn't allow for any impact: the rest of the time, director Josh Schwartz is busy delivering jokes that just don't land (a character falls in love when another character fondles her breasts, and a giant mechanical chicken humps a car, among others). For a PG-13 Nickelodeon movie, the film is crammed with an odd mix of sexual humor and juvenile fart-joke humor. The film can't appeal to young viewers because of the former, and can't appeal to anyone much older because of the latter.

The acting is consistently underwhelming, just another thing that separates this from the teen comedies it attempts to emulate. Victoria Justice is simply not a good actress; it doesn't help that she only seems capable of playing one type of character. Thomas Mann has proved that he is too good for this kind of film. Jackson Nicoll is just "there:" he has exactly one line of dialogue (excluding the post-ending pre-credits scene), so if smiling innocently is considered good acting, give this kid an Oscar. The highlight is Jane Levy, but even she, like Thomas Mann, is too good for this material.

This film may be called "Fun Size," but there's not much fun to be had here.
½ April 3, 2016
I don't know why. But I just found myself bored through the whole movie.
½ January 27, 2016
Fun Size brings to mind a number of other, better teen Adventure/Comedy movies, from Adventures in Babysitting to License to Drive. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good as most any of them. It's a hopelessly formulaic, dumbed-down movie with transparent plot lines, bad dialogue, and largely forgettable performances. Jackson Nicoll and Thomas Middleditch save the movie to a degree, but even their work can't elevate it too far from the bottom of the pile. Worst of all, it seems like a movie with no, or at best a very limited, target audience. It's too raunchy for little kids, too uncool for teens, and not good enough to please adults. "Fun size" is the perfect descriptor of its audience.
August 15, 2015
Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are something to look at, but the film itself is Un-fun Sized.
July 29, 2015
Average flick about a teen's Halloween night gone wrong, with the requisite high school antics and types: the hot girl who's inexplicably unpopular, the academic nerd who pines for her, her sassyfrassy, social-climbing best friend, the grieving-through-partying absent mother, and the mute little brother who goes missing but not before befriending a variety of party miscreants. It's all rather low stakes, but the emotional reveal about Ren's late father is better than the rest of the movie.
July 11, 2015
Only like Jackson Nicoll parts
½ June 11, 2015
En que carajos pensaban que sería una buena idea hacer una película donde recurra al uso de: humor adulto, blasfemia (groserias), contenido sexual, alcoholismo y uso de drogas... en una producción de NICKELODEON??!!
May 17, 2015
A lot of people like this movie, but I thought it was rather sad.
April 1, 2015
I was on netflix and this seemed interesting. I watched it and was happy with who Wren ended up with. Such a quirky movie
March 22, 2015
Why would Nickelodian put their name on a foul mouthed pg-13 movie, knowing kids would want to see it?
½ March 20, 2015
nothing special-kind of goofy at times,but o.k.and watchable.not worth watching a second though.
½ March 13, 2015
This was an alright movie that had quite a few laughs but was also filled with some very unlikeable characters.
It had a good cast and at times was very smart.
Victoria Justice was good as the lead and I liked the use of the Beastie Boys and Def Jam.
January 26, 2015
Not that fun to see when you're 10, but it was okay!
December 22, 2014
One of the best movies i have ever seen in my entire life, and will stay that way.I have alot of copies, thats how much i love it.
½ December 19, 2014
Harmless fun and enjoyable for kids.
December 17, 2014
The epitome of a lazy, uneven, bad teen comedies.
November 9, 2014
This is possibly the worst film I have seen thus far... The story is very stupid and childish, there's like no humor anywhere, and the characters are just downright irritating... This movie makes absolutely no sense... Not even the title makes sense... AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS!! This is a stupid film that will make you stupid after watching it.
October 20, 2014
It was fine not laugh out loud but watchable. The little kid was funny you can see why he was cast in bad grampa
September 25, 2014
I watched this movie for halloween and it was great. It's like wren is ferris bueller but crazier. Love Albert, he's the best. For a halloween movie great but not on halloween it's terrible. Stupid