Funny Face - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Face Reviews

September 27, 2016
Classic movie. Great performances by actors. Hepburn is beautiful, and funny in movie.
½ August 23, 2016
7.2/10
Audrey Hepburn's screen presence is marvelous, she's such a beautiful performer and she really made it better. What I didn't like was the obvious huge age different between her and her love interest, but nonetheless it was a nice musical that had some iconic Audrey Hepburn moments.
~August 23, 2016~
½ August 22, 2016
Funny Face is a heartwarming musical that is a must-see for lovers of movie musicals. Audrey Hepburn's character is endearing as is Fred Astaire's, and Kay Thompson does a wonderful job of portraying the Quality Magazine mogul. If you enjoy classic Parisian imagery, this movie is for you as well.
½ June 25, 2016
Funny Face (1957) C-103m. ??? 1/2 D: Stanley Donen. Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Kay Thompson, Michel Auclair. First-rate comedy musical with Hepburn supplying fashion magazine with ultra-success, but what she really wants is Astaire. A sheer delight, topped off with memorable songs ("Think Pink!", "How Long Has This Been Going On?", title tune), and Ray June's excellent photography. And man does Audrey look good!
½ May 15, 2016
Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn are such classically lovable performers that their thirty-year age gap doesn't much matter in 1957's "Funny Face." Despite their characters being thrust into a cinematic relationship that never quite sells, it is very much a musical that takes pride in its farcical dynamism, its chic design - romance is only there because such a trait is a necessary component within a genre that depends on making its audience feel good.
And feel good we do: "Funny Face" is one of the most facilely likable films of the filmographies of its stars. Perfection it isn't, but painlessly escapist it is. Written by Leonard Gersche and directed by Stanley Donen ("On the Town," "Singin' in the Rain"), it's an exuberant lark that knows something about exploiting the kissable personas of its leads, that knows something about cinematographic ecstasy, that knows something about finding a faultless balance between song, spectacle, and story. I'm impervious to its charms; it all appeals to my most shameless weaknesses for blatant materialism.
But I'm unashamed to succumb to "Funny Face's" sumptuousness. Its style is its best asset. The action circles around the behind-the-scenes chaos of the fictional "Quality" magazine, a "Vogue" copycat whose inspiration is severely lacking. Publisher and editor Maggie Prescott (Kay Thompson), whose frenetic workaholism makes her a splendid homage to Diana Vreeland, is tired of refined models and predictable lines. She's desperate for something, or someone, to thrill her again after decades of being at the top of the fashion chain.
Her editor's block doesn't last long, though. After pondering various ideas that bring her temporary flashes of invigoration (one most notably coming in the form of briefly re-popularizing the color pink), she, along with top photographer Dick Avery (Astaire), comes to the conclusion that it'd be a refreshing change of pace to find a way to bridge the gap between the "beautiful" and the "intellectual." It's unheard of to find the brains within an industry as vapid as the fashion world's.
Shortly after their brainstorming do they hastily crash a sleepy bookstore in Greenwich Village, where no one roams but the sharp Jo Stockton (Hepburn), who's the shop's substitute manager and who's an aspiring philosopher. To Kay, she's nothing but a nuisance - Jo isn't amused by "Quality's" abrasive barging in - but to Dick, she is the epitome of the magazine's newest trend. With the right clothes and the right people looking after her, she could become the toast of the town.
As she dreams of traveling to Paris to bask in the teachings of esteemed philosopher Emile Flostre (Michael Auclair), it doesn't take too long to convince Jo that she's just as much a beaut as she is a brainiac. "Quality" and company makes their way to France to renew the publication's rep for breaking new ground; but intrigue arises as feelings begin to fester between Dick and Jo.
Without its romantic detours, however, "Funny Face" would still be among the most auspicious musicals of the 1950s, though I suspect its stunning imagery is perhaps tricking me into thinking it's better than it is. Shot in VistaVision, which is certainly the most underrated and most palatial of photographic processes in the history of the movies, its scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. Its fashions are eye-catching, sure, but more stirring is the way cinematographer Ray June seems to find the photograph within everything, deriving from Paris's locales to the simple nourishing of Hepburn's unearthly facsimile. Especially heart-stopping is the seemingly organic smokiness he achieves in several scenes, most remarkably during Hepburn's show-stopping bohemian dance number and throughout her and Astaire's rendition of "'S Wonderful."
To look at "Funny Face" is eternally majestic, and so it's nothing less than prodigious that its material and its performers are never overtaken by its visual apexes. Gersche's screenplay is light and funny (though my cynicism remained intact as I wondered how its characters might have learned to sing and dance like Broadway stars despite their respective occupations), and Donen's direction is so easily effervescent that it doesn't take much to remind us that only a veteran of his caliber could make substance of "Funny Face's" type seem to be so much more important than mere frivolity.
But the film's conquering of us lies in its three leads, a corps d'elite of magnificent faculty. Astaire, as athletic and engaging as he was when he was winning over our hearts with Ginger Rogers, is a dependably inviting main that, predictably, owes much of his enchantment to his feverish feet. Hepburn is a headstrong headliner with as much wit to her name as timeless style - her incomparable beauty remains lush and new as it was when she was introduced to the world through 1953's "Roman Holiday." But best of all is Thompson (known to most as the author of the "Eloise" series), who had no other film roles (she spent the majority of her career as MGM's top vocal arranger) and yet steals the entire project from two of the cinema's biggest names. A comic riot with killer pipes and killer dancing ability, she gives "Funny Face" an edge that keeps it from playing it completely safe.
But even if the film were intensively safe, I'm not so sure it'd be able to stop being an utter joy. A fine piece of studio craftsmanship, it's an amiable musical that makes superb use of its stars. Throw in songs by the Gershwins and choreography perfected by Eugene Loring and you've got a mini-masterpiece.
April 23, 2016
This was the prototype of ? The Devil Wears Prada ?, or something like that.
February 14, 2016
There are some fun dance numbers and a few very catchy songs, but the movie as a whole is a bit underwhelming. Just kind of expect more, given the cast. It's thin on plot, shoving in several musical numbers just to keep things going. Fred Astaire may be the one known for his dancing, but my favorite dance number in the entire movie actually goes to Audrey Hepburn in the lounge.

It's an okay movie. Not the highlight of anyone's career though.
½ December 29, 2015
Non che mi aspettassi molto dalla trama, ma il film cerca in tutti i modi di farti spegnere la tv entro i primi 30 min. Oltre alla stupidità delle persone che lavorano nell'agenzia di moda (stucchevoli cliché come spesso accade in film del genere), l'ingresso della Hepburn peggiore le cose. infatti viene ritratta come la piccola e schiva intellettuale, mandando in vacca tutta la credibilità del film. Gli intermezzi cantati e ballati invece alzano la media del film.
November 22, 2015
Audrey sells books and is suddenly asked to be a glamorous model in Paris
½ November 7, 2015
Simple and sweet with a bunch of tremendous song and dance numbers. A lot of fun.
October 27, 2015
Chaotic and eclectic at times, Funny Face still manages to completely capture the charm and innocence of its cast. Audrey Hepburn is as stunning as ever while Fred Astaire woos us with his unprecedented talent. A feel-good classic.
October 21, 2015
This film is considered to be one of the best Audrey Hepburn film ever. There was a scene where Audrey dances, and it's absolutely charming. She also was a charming character in this film. Fred Astaire was a superior actor in this film as well. Kay Thompson was really good in this film as well. This musical film is one of those film that is absolutely S'wonderful and S'marvelous.
½ September 21, 2015
like 'love in the afternoon' the huge age diff between this time fred astaire and hepburn is just creepy
September 12, 2015
What may have come across as charming and whimsical in 1957 now comes across as vapid and embarrassing now. Not even Audrey Hepburn's charms could save this movie.
May 1, 2015
Such a sweet movie. Watching these old-musicals for me is like eating candy. It's too much, but you can't help yourself. Funny Face is fun to watch. Ok, the songs are forgettable. But what a pairing! Audrey and Fred are a match made in heaven. Boy, could they dance. Audrey's beatnik dance is easily the most memorable scene. Everything here is so vibrant and alive, in glorious Technicolor.
½ February 14, 2015
The notion that Audrey Hepburn would ever be considered "plain" or "unattractive" is ridiculous, but I don't think it's a movie that ever tries to pass itself off as remotely realistic . . . It's just a fun romantic comedy. The dance sequences are outstanding.
January 29, 2015
Some iconic shots and an always likeable Audrey Hepburn can't quite overcome the unfocussed screenplay. Full review later.
January 9, 2015
Cute movie. Could watch Fred dance all day!
January 3, 2015
Silly. Entertaining. Pretty.
½ December 11, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Stanley Donen has already gracefully won my heart with his brilliant collaborator Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain. I wanted to give Funny Face a watch because I am interested in exploring this director's works especially ones that are connected to musicals or have dance numbers as he always seems to win me over in that department.

Funny Face indeed is charming and entertaining in the musical department, but as a whole film with a story and a set of characters, it fails to excite me. The film revolves around a tale of discovery and the battle between glamor and intelligence. I probably would have forgo the film's lack of sophistication, if it delivers unique characters and relationships that are interesting to follow; everything in this film, aside from its dazzling visuals and musical cues, are all too familiar and executes them in such a way that only serves to elevate the musical performances.

Audrey Hepburn is as dazzlingly charming and beautiful as always, but this is far from her most complicated role. The actress seems to be breezing through the film, putting effort only to the choreographic sequences; which on its own is amazing. Fred Astaire is very popular actor and performer, and sadly this would mark as the only film I have yet seen from him. I had a pleasurable feeling of watching sing and dance but as an actor, I wasn't convinced; I think I need to see more of his work to appreciate his talent as an actor.

Funny Face is flawed, but only to a certain point, and many of the film's positive qualities remain memorable and charming. Donen clearly has a knack for these types of films; it is just too bad that the material given to him lacked ambition and complexity.