Gandhi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gandhi Reviews

½ September 9, 2017
A very long film, but so emotionally powerful. Gandhi's struggles are brilliantly portrayed by Kingsley and the spirit and the determination of those fighting against the Brits is beautifully captured.
August 19, 2017
A worthy biopic that sparks inspiration, but it is unfortunately boring at times. It could have been condensed a bit so that it isn't so dull. (First and only full viewing - 12/20/2010)
½ July 31, 2017
A typical Biopic, but Richard Attenborough's direction and Ben Kingsley's phenomenal debut make Gandhi worth watching
½ June 28, 2017
Gandhi is a movie I enjoyed and is my favourite documentary but when Nathuram Godse shoots Gandhi at the start it gives the end away.
½ June 19, 2017
Unfortunately Jinnah is portrayed as a monster. Roshan Seth is brilliant as Nehru.
½ June 10, 2017
An important story well told. Long but not too dry. Never quite catches fire but maybe that's not the purpose. Very 80s epic.
April 19, 2017
Gandhi is one of the best film biographies about someone I've ever seen. This is due to the great cinematography, the careful care taken with the story, and of course Ben Kingsley in a performance humankind rarely sees accomplished. Director Richard Attenborough does a fantastic job with the camera and each shot feels meticulously filmed and extremely well thought out. Even though the story is not a unfamiliar one, the film makes effective work of it and makes every minute of the three hour run time meaningful. Despite my fears of this being a long and overdrawn film, this felt deliberate in every scene to keep the audience interested and not just cram some scenes with filler material by wisely staying away from showing Gandhi in prison very often. Finally, Kingsley gives his best performance ever, and completely disappears into his role, he is incredibly subdued but manages to creep into every scene as the most powerful force without feeling like he is anything other than a quiet man that wants peace and freedom. Gandhi is a fantastic film to watch if you have 3 hours to see it, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see a great biography on the man
April 4, 2017
This movie was amazing. This style of movie is not what you see now in days, and is a wonderful representation of a religionist movement. This movie is the autobiography of Gandhi and what he accomplished and how. The movie starts and the end with his murder being shot point blank at a large rally by Nathuram Godse. Then it flashes back to when he was a young man in South Africa. He is a young attorney at the time and goes to ride a train with his first-class pass. He is told he is not allowed to ride first class. He refused this order and demands to ride first class. He is then thrown off the train. This is his turning point realize that nonviolence is the way and that treating minorities like this is unacceptable. The majority of the movie after this is him preforming nonviolent protest against South Africa and in Indian. He establishes equality in south Africa and then moves back to his home country of Indian. Here he does similar protest and even goes on a hungry strike to cease the Britain rule over their country. During these protest, he is jailed many times and beaten. There is tragic scene in Indiana where women and children and mean are gun down for about five minutes over the Hindus and Muslins struggles.
This movie has extreme religions ties and connect. Where most people say, Gandhi was Jainism due to all his closer friends where he was more of a Ahimsa (doing no harm) which is one the biggest part of Jainism. This movie you get to see many practices of Jainism from the medication and the giving away of all material goods. The act of selflessness you could say to some it all up. Gandhi was strong believer and doing no harm and being selflessness that he would sacrifice all his goods and himself. He would starve himself to show he dedication to prove what is right.
½ February 28, 2017
If you were to rank all the biopics to win Best Picture, this one would be somewhere in the middle. It's OK, I guess.
February 17, 2017
a very good movie but it\s slow moving and 3 hrs long. Took me 3 tries to finish it and I fell asleep 3 times.
February 14, 2017
Although unnecessarily long, Gandhi delivers a powerful biopic true to its subject matter thanks largely to Ben Kingsley's spellbinding tour de force performance.
February 9, 2017
ben kingsley is a brilliant actor and it is shown in this masterpiece
Antonius Block
½ December 1, 2016
As Einstein said about Gandhi, a quote included at the end of this movie, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." Critics of this film will say that's in part because of the mythologizing of Gandhi, which director Richard Attenborough contributes to by not showing us questionable aspects of Gandhi's personal life, or some of the opinions he held. Just one example of the latter was his very naïve attitude towards Hitler, which I chalk up to the limits of his idealism more than anything else, not evil on his part - but that would have been 'fair ground' for a more accurate and balanced portrayal of the man. However, I have to say, those who focus on these omissions miss all that was absolutely accurate - and truly inspiring - in the film.

This epic movie has beautiful shots of India and is beautiful in spirit. Who can possibly not be moved by this great man, whose simplicity and nonviolent approach to oppression and violence inspired Indians and the world? He endures beatings without raising a hand, and his moral rectitude and dignity never waver in dealing with the British, his countrymen, and his peers in the 'Home Rule' movement. He eschews pomp, embraces poverty, and demands authenticity. In testifying in his own defense while on trial, he says simply "Non-cooperation with evil is a duty, and that British rule of India is evil." In speaking with British officials, he says "In the end you will walk out, because 100,000 Englishmen simply cannot control 350 million Indians, if those Indians refuse to cooperate - and that's what we intend to achieve - peaceful, nonviolent, non-cooperation, until you yourselves see the wisdom of leaving." He tries desperately to hold Hindus and Muslims together in the aftermath, but is frail and then is of course assassinated.

Perhaps the most difficult to watch or even fathom is the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar, which Attenborough shows us right before the intermission. The brutality and cruelty of British Colonel Reginald Dyer is staggering, as was his callousness in the inquiries afterwards - and there is no exaggeration in the film.

There are aspects that can be questioned about the film - why a white man was hired to play the part of Gandhi (even though Kingsley is fantastic), why Jinnah was portrayed in too negative a light (possibly due to the influence of the Indian government, who helped sponsor the film), and why Gandhi was overly idealized. It's not perfect, and neither was he. However, the truth is that the man was courageous, enlightened, and an awe-inspiring moral beacon to us all. His words were beautiful - and the film gets all of this right. For companion reading, try 'Mohandas Gandhi Essential Writings', which has a number of fantastic passages, and provides a more complete view of the man.

In the meantime, I highly recommend this movie. Just one more quote, in his speech in front of a packed house, which threatens to become violent in the face of unfair new British Laws:

"In this cause, I too am prepared to die; but my friends, there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill. Whatever they do to us, we will attack no one, kill no one, but we will not give our fingerprints, not one of us. They will imprison us, they will fine us, they will seize our possessions, but they cannot take away our self-respect if we will not give it to them. ... I am asking you to fight. To fight against their anger, not to provoke it. We will not strike a blow, but we will receive them, and through our pain, we will make them see their injustice, and it will hurt, as all fighting hurts. But we cannot lose. We cannot. They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me - then, they will have my dead body - not my obedience."

Hallelujah.
½ November 13, 2016
After graduating college, Gandhi became an attorney and was working for a firm in South Africa where one day as he was riding a train, there was a white man who claimed that Gandhi was not allowed on the train because of his color. That event made Gandhi furious, which caused him to want to lead a non-violent protests for the rights of the colored people. The living in South Africa was not so pleasant, so he decided to take the matter in hand and joined the Natal Indian congress that was a political movement in South Africa. He was fighting the racial segregation using the non-violence protest. But segregation in South Africa wasn't the only conflict Gandhi had to deal with, Muslims and Hindus were also having problems in India, the British were taking rights from the Indians by oppressing them, and they were also making them pay unnecessary taxes. He then decided to move back to India and take care of the issue. Gandhi had to come up with a way to resolve the conflicts in India. With the help of Nehru and Jinnah, he came up with the idea to lead peaceful protests in India and also show photographs to the world so that other countries would be aware of the conflicts. Islam and Hinduism were also arguing over who had more power. They taught that the ideas to resolve the conflict between the major religious groups was to split India into two sections. Pakistan was divided from India for the Muslims and India was for the Hindus. Gandhi was still skeptical about the idea because he wanted for the two groups to be united but instead they were divided. He always opt for the peace in the country by uniting all religions but it was unsuccessful. A few moment after this event, Gandhi was killed.
November 13, 2016
Gandhi was amazing the most important scene in the entire movie was when Gandhi and his wife did their wedding vows. I loved when they did the steps and she responded by saying I will follow you. Gandhi's marriage was arranged and they knew each other since they were thirteen years old and learned to love one another. Gandhi was a man on a mission and accomplished great things for the Indian nation. The last and not least of everything in the movie he said he would for the cause but he would kill for the cause.
½ November 7, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una película digna para el máximo líder de la historia después de Cristo.
½ September 18, 2016
Ben Kingsley was fantastic.
September 14, 2016
Melody Hill

Mohandas Gandhi is a Hindu man on a mission. His mission is to fight against the British Government who rule over his country and suppress his people. His goal is Freedom for him and his people no matter the cost. It is tale of good vs evil. Who will triumph?
This is a movie of inspiration and one that will leave you looking in the mirror questioning your own morals and values. It is an autobiographical movie of Mohandas Gandhi. The movie Gandhi starts in reverse. It shows Gandhi as an elderly man in New Delhi India being executed in front of a large crowd of followers by what appears to be a young man of Indian accent. Then the movie goes back in time to 1893 in Southern Africa where we see a Gandhi as a young attorney. He sees what he calls injustice laws against Hindus, Muslims and other minorities and he begins to protest by burning the British passages or laws. The British police officers proceed to beat him with canes until he passes out and is later put in prison. The word spreads quickly of Gandhi and his non-violent protest. His believe is that, like Christ, you must be willing to take on violence without violence then the angry toward them decreases. This becomes the underlining theme of the movie.
Once the non-violence movement was started in South Africa Gandhi went back to his home country of India in 1915. This is where he tried to unite his people against the British rule and led many non-violent protest to gain their freedom. Over 1500 Indians were killed at the hands of the British armies. After going to prison and court many times Gandhi finally led his people to Freedom, but the ones who united with him started a civil war amongst the Muslims and Hindus, which leads us to the final scene of Gandhi being shot and killed. With his death he created one of the largest religious movements in history.
This is my second time watching this movie. It inspires me and has me look at my own religion in comparison. Gandhi was not just a Hindu but a God follower who accepted all religions. His teachings and the way he lived his life can be seen in other religions today. For example in Christianity we also teach that Jesus (God) was a believer of non-violence all the way to his death. It also speaks of fasting and pray to come closer to God and other Christians. Gandhi used pray and fasting in the same way. Gandhi lived as a minimalist. He made his own clothes, grew his own food, helped built villages and anything else he needed. This is similar to Buddhism, where they do not believe in worshipping material possession, but rather live as beggars. They believe this will bring them to an enlighten state. Overall, Gandhi has influenced a variety of people and religions through his movement.
August 29, 2016
Gandhi would be proud
August 22, 2016
100% - Gandhi is a great film about a great man who is valued for his impeccable morals and perspectives. This masterpiece is well-crafted, excellently directed and consists of a splendid cast that makes this film one of the best movies ever made.