Gemini Reviews

• 4d ago

Not very entertaining.

Not very entertaining.

• Aug 17, 2019

Cool style, but the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

Cool style, but the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

• Jun 25, 2019

Wow. What a horrible way to end a movie. Don’t waste your time with this clunker.

• Jun 18, 2019

Aaron Katz's murder mystery 'Gemini', is an entertaining, albeit flawed feature for the writer and director. In the 80s this would have been a straight to video film, but if enough people see this it may age better than most indy flicks. The cast is remarkably great. I never get enough John Cho and he's great in a limited roll. Zoe Kravitz is cast perfectly as the starlet. The real breakthrough star here is Lola Kirke who is nuanced and fresh. Several bit players come and go and we're left wondering who committed the murder. The twists are interesting and keep what could be a stale film an anticipatory delight. While there are some easy ways out of tight spots, Katz has cobbled together a movie that is tight and doesn't overstay its welcome. The ending is growing on me, but I'm sure isn't for everyone. While for some this will leave more questions than answers it did enough for me to give a slight recommendation. Final Score: 7.2/10

• Apr 20, 2019

Low-key slowburn of a noir, though the ending might leave a little to be desired.

• Apr 10, 2019

Despite having a lot of promising components, it's not a great film. Its first problem is that it takes a good half an hour to get going (that's quite a bit of time for a 1 1/2 hour film), but once the murder happens, it takes a turn for the better as it starts to explore those neo-noir elements. Nevertheless, despite a wonderfully charismatic performance from Lola Kirke (Kravitz and Cho are also solid) and some nice cinematography here and there, it fails to fully capture that thrilling and engaging atmosphere you'd expect. Worse still, most of the suspects are quite badly written to the point where they seem neither suspicious nor interesting (turns out the reason for that is revealed later on, but that doesn't make for good viewing in the meantime). Overall, I couldn't help but feel that it seems like a half-baked script, something that, with a bit more work, could have been quite brilliant. As it is, it's fairly average with a particularly frustrating ending that seemed to suggest there was something more (as there clearly should have been) and then abruptly rolls the credits.

• Mar 18, 2019

Sobre la película Gemini no tengo nada que decir... muy floja, con muchos hilos sueltos, banal

• Dec 16, 2018

Cast was good, but the story lacked excitement.

Cast was good, but the story lacked excitement.

• Dec 09, 2018

I'm a big fan of neon lights in general, and especially in films. The bold colours, the cool look, the fact that they only work at night, I think it creates some lovely visual images. Luckily, so does Hollywood at the moment, as it seems to be an aesthetic du jour. One film that makes use of it is this one, a neon-soaked murder mystery where it's all dark and everyone's a suspect and people speak unrealistically but it's ok because it sounds cool. Sure, it's about a Hollywood starlet who seems like a terrible human being and so you feel like she's kind of got it coming, but in general the first 3/4, maybe even 4/5, fly by with energy, Nelson Franklin (who's absolutely the film's MVP) and, as mentioned, lovely neon lights. But then it finishes so abruptly and unsatisfyingly that I genuinely ended up shouting at the TV. Don't you dare set up a mystery and then resolve that mystery in a way that seems so ridiculous you can't even bring yourself to explain it. Don't you dare do that. Also, Zoe Kravitz isn't Lisa Bonet's daughter, she IS Lisa Bonet and I'll fight anyone who says differently.

• Oct 18, 2018

I was really enjoying the mystery and intrigue of this one, but I a little let down by the ending.