The Ghost and Mrs. Muir Reviews

• Aug 10, 2019

Absolutely beautifully written and the acting is perfect. A true love story that passes the test of time.

• Jun 19, 2019

Classic,great story and Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are perfect.

Classic,great story and Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are perfect.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best fantasy romance movie ever made! With the best movie score ever composed!

• Dec 30, 2018

Truly a marvelous and timeless story. A widow must be creative enough to find a way to support her daughter and herself in a time where this was most unconventional. The talented Gene Tierney is stunning as Mrs. Muir and Rex Harrison is brash and charismatic all wrapped up in one. They have excellent screen chemistry and the audience is in for quite the fun treat.

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Sep 07, 2018

What a unique feeling this film gives me. What we're expected to believe is so unrealistic, that this widow (Gene Tierney) rents out a cottage haunted by the ghost of an old sea captain (Rex Harrison), that she can see him and yet never tries to touch him, that she puts up with him sleeping in her bedroom, and that the two have what seems to be a normal relationship. And yet, within this world that director Joseph L. Mankiewicz creates, there is such earnestness in the performances, and such atmosphere in this foggy old seaside cottage, that we find ourselves drawn in. Tierney and Harrison are both wonderful, and such contrasting characters. He helps her deal with her dead husband's mother and sister, and she helps him type up the story of his life, offering suggestions along the way. I loved his saltiness, with the subtle hints of his ribald life in the book's narration slipped in under the production code, and his sailor's language seeping in to Tierney's. The smaller roles are interesting as well, including Edna Best as the sassy housekeeper, and little 8-year-old Natalie Wood as her daughter. When she meets a 'real life' man (George Sanders) who begins wooing her, an odd sort of love triangle forms. Sanders' character is a gentleman and an intellectual, and says things like this, the first day they meet and it's raining: "It's easy to understand why the most beautiful poems about England in the spring were written by poets living in Italy at the time." The film could easily have been bungled, either by its premise, or by becoming too melodramatic. I think the class with which the cast play their parts is a big part of the success. The way Mankiewicz filmed a couple of touching scenes between Tierney and Harrison is also memorable. This one is for those who like romance and fantasy.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    May 23, 2018

With a moving score by Bernard Herrmann this atmospheric piece of cinema becomes one of the great screen romances, ocean waves poetically crashing against the shore and all. A widow and her daughter move into a lonely seaside cottage reportedly haunted by the ghost of an old sea captain. But is it? Tierney and Harrison are most sympathetic here.

• Apr 21, 2018

White waves to hang, carriage cars, cars, gas lights and candles. Mankiewicz 's unique habitual skill. Jean Tierney's beauty, Rex Harrison's pompous smile, George Sanders' fanciness, young Natalie Wood. It is a masterpiece.

• Mar 24, 2018

I have been watching this movie periodically since I was a child. I was a ritual with my mom, who now has Alztheimers.. Yes this is a timeless chickfick more so than a fantasy tale for many pretentious men to watch. I am proud my husband values a cuddle and watched wirh me once or twice. Today is my latest viewing. I sat aside the dishes, clothes washing, and grocery shopping to once more travel back in time and be nostalgic during a time of great illness in our home. Once again the story and actors filled me of joyous romantic visions. And i am NOT a silly day daydreamer. But I am A lover and believe in great romances. I read one of the most recent critics reviews of this movie. He needs a swift kick. He is obviously full of odd Bitterness, has a hidden hatred for female love stories and would much prefer violence, zombie killings, drugs, and woese. How sickening that such a person should be able to enfluence the ratings of this love story set in Victorian times. Obviously he has no clue of true love but only vile bitterness. I have watched this movie since about age five. I am sixty and hope until I die i still get to enjoy it now and again. It shares values, desires, what one will do to reach the ir goals to not loose their home and all the rocky roads in between. If you are an aetheist then the ending and love ever after is not for you. Personally i do. And blast all the naysayers.

• Jan 15, 2018

Fairly simple plot, straightforward cinematography. An endearing chick-flick about love before the big hook-up. A joy to see Miss Wood.

• Oct 17, 2017

A true romantic classic. Chemistry between Harrison and Tierney is wonderful.

A true romantic classic. Chemistry between Harrison and Tierney is wonderful.