G.I. Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

G.I. Jane Reviews

August 21, 2017
This is a surprisingly good movie where Demi Moore gets in incredible shape and has to become 'one of the boys.' It's one of my go to movies when it is on.
August 8, 2017
Story about a really hot woman who joins the SEALS military. Yeah, that's really the plot. One of the dumbest ever written. However, its a joy to watch this movie in all its horrible and hilarious stupidity. One of those its so bad its good movies.
June 1, 2017
this film is a first and deserves a better score than on here
½ April 20, 2017
G.I. Jane is not subtle at all. Comes out swinging with its feminist propaganda right off and continues to slap you in the face with it throughout. Whole thing is absurd to begin with and has the usual cliche moments of the disliked underdog winning approval of those around the hero. I can say that it is certainly shot well though and finding out this was directed by Ridley Scott makes this as no surprise for me. I wish the content was as interesting though, was rather dull and Demi Moore's character never interested me either, she was just a blank nothingness who just shouts "I want to be equal, treated like the men!" I appreciate the sentiment but I would like to see something beyond that please.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 11, 2017
this movie is amazing
August 13, 2016
Not bad, but light on action for a 'war' film. Gets bogged down at times in the politics of females in the military, with the Senator (Bancroft) having way more scenes than necessary - could have been done much more subtly, such as when O'Neil (Moore) - not called Jane at all - is in the water with one of her black teammates and he compares it to the 1940/50s for his Granddad. Mortensen is good as the Master Chief, but it's pretty much all about Moore proving girls can be as tough as guys by sticking it out through the often over-the-top violent Navy SEAL training. Not bad, but lacking a little something extra.
July 28, 2016
One of the better films of Demi Moore in the mid 1990's, the story of a woman determined to complete the new intense Navy Seal program that even men are struggling to complete.

Demi Moore is great & dynamic in her role & tackles the masculinity of the role with ease but never sacrificing her feminine beauty.

It's a pretty straight forward film but is easy to watch & enjoyable to see watch a strong female lead. A entertaining action film also.
July 12, 2016
Director Ridley Scott was far to concerned with making a film that showcased Demi Moore that he failed to make it interesting, believable, or compelling. It features its share of eye-rolling moments.
September 2, 2015
good to see women kick mens asses
May 24, 2015
Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane is a great movie that is very underrated in my opinion. Demi Moore plays a serious and bad*bleep* soldier very well and is also very intimidating. Viggo Mortensen is having a lot of fun in this and is one of the best parts of the movie. The script by David Twohy and Danielle Alexandra is actually pretty good and gives off some memorable, probably silly for some viewers, lines. The main character is memorable, and it gives off some character development to some of the soldiers, even if it feels familiar to people that seen a lot of soldier movies. The plot is very interesting which I'm surprised to see that it's not based on a true story, even if there's twists that doesn't work at all for me and let's it by easy. G.I. Jane is not one of Ridley Scott's best as it has some problems that either needed to be changed, or was not needed, but it is still an enjoyable film that praises women for what they're doing, but never felt like an anti-men film.
May 8, 2015
Better than average action melodrama with a very nice performance from Mortensen.
December 30, 2014
A fun action movie seeing Demi Moore attempting to become the first female in the Navy Seals. A gritty performance from Demi, well backed up by Viggo Mortensen and Anne Bancroft. Don't know why it got so badly slated on release?
½ December 22, 2014
its movies like this that make me ask why anyone ever would want to be in the military? abuse, insults, beating people down so that they all of a sudden "learn" to kiss ass to people above them. ugh, very sad- i dont get how this helps anyone. As far as the movie, eh.
December 16, 2014
This is an excellent film in my opinion but i know a lot of people would disagree on this. Demi Moore a marvelous actress and display such a rare involvement in this film I sometimes wonder if she actually did the seal training for real. She seems so believable and determined that I can't imagine her not following an intense and die hard strict combat training previous to shooting the film. Ridley Scott does know how to shoot a film and here once again display an efficiency that few director have the ability to master. His film is raw, smells like sweat and feels like pain. What a depiction and what a cast! one of my favorite film of all time.
½ October 26, 2014
The problem with this this movie is the third act. I liked the politics, both in Washington and within the military, but the movie lost me when it went out to vindicate its' hero when a training exercise turns into a real life scenario. There was no need to add that drama. It was almost as if the writers got too lazy to write a third act that deals with the politics and the characters, but instead chooses to turn to action for excitement. It just seems like an insult to the audience.
½ October 21, 2014
A Senate Armed Services Committee interviews a candidate for the position of Secretary of the Navy. Senator Lillian DeHaven (Anne Bancroft) from Texas criticizes the Navy for not being gender-neutral. Behind the curtains, a deal is struck: If women compare favorably with men in a series of test cases, the military will integrate women fully into all branches of the Navy. The first test is the training course of the U.S. Navy Combined Reconnaissance Team. Senator DeHaven hand-picks topographical analyst Lieutenant Jordan O'Neil (Demi Moore), because she is physically more feminine than the other candidates. To make the grade, O'Neil must survive a grueling selection program in which almost 60 percent of all candidates wash out, most in the first week ("hell week"). The enigmatic Command Master Chief John James Urgayle (Viggo Mortensen) runs the brutal training program that involves 20-hour days of tasks designed to wear down recruits' physical and mental strength, including pushing giant ship fenders up beach dunes, working through obstacle courses, and hauling landing rafts. Given a 30-second time allowance in an obstacle course, O'Neil demands to be held to the same standards as the male trainees. O'Neill is determined to prove everyones wrong about her ability to succeed in getting the grade...

"G.I. Jane" is a Ridley Scott movie, but it looks like a Tony Scott movie. It carries his classic trademarks with ridiculous macho dialogue ("Suck my dick"...), general machoism and gung ho mentality. The males are more or less stupid canon fodder with their cocks in their hands while the females are either backstabbing cold businesslike senators, lesbians or hard edged "take no prisoners" sort of women. This sort of stereotypical unbalance is part of the problems with this movie. Another one is that Demi Mooreīs portrait of Jordan is not fully convincing, she simply donīt carry that posture or "weight" that is needed in this sort of role. I have always liked her, but this is a bit out of her elements. The general foundation of the script has good points, in how we need to balance the genders in all parts of our society and that includes the army. A topic that is as current as ever. But, "G.I. Jane" falls to the ground like a hand grenade due to the fact how Ridley Scott has shot it and how the script has been developed and produced. Demi Moore won the Razzie Award for Worst Actress for her performance in this film, which is maybe not fully deserved in my point of view. But, I think this is a poor way of portraying a strong, willpowered and independent woman. An interesting fact is that an alternate ending was secretly filmed without the knowledge of Disney/Hollywood Pictures Executives. When Ridley Scott first screened the film for execs, he shocked and surprised them with the ending in which Demi Moore dies. Both endings were test screened simultaneously and although the darker ending scored higher with audiences, the happier ending was chosen by executives. Similar to the surprise ending for "Thelma and Louise", the alternate ending for "G.I. Jane" was a dark yet bittersweet one. Jordan (Moore) is killed when she risks her life to save her Commander (Viggo Mortensen) then eulogized on television by the tough Senator (Ann Bancroft). Later, the camera pans through a fresh group of SEAL recruits, among them are three women. I do like this ending better than the one that is used, however I donīt think my general opinion about the movie wouldīve changed with this ending.
½ September 3, 2014
UPDATE: Looking back on it, it certainly ain't the best film of all time. But, what I can tell you now is that Demi Moore's performance carries the entire weight of the film. It does have a familiar storyline, however.
September 1, 2014
Demi Moore se la joue GI et ca marche bien. Superbe prestation.
Un bon film entre action et film de guerre, ou le feminisme est de rigueur.