G.I. Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

G.I. Jane Reviews

August 13, 2016
Not bad, but light on action for a 'war' film. Gets bogged down at times in the politics of females in the military, with the Senator (Bancroft) having way more scenes than necessary - could have been done much more subtly, such as when O'Neil (Moore) - not called Jane at all - is in the water with one of her black teammates and he compares it to the 1940/50s for his Granddad. Mortensen is good as the Master Chief, but it's pretty much all about Moore proving girls can be as tough as guys by sticking it out through the often over-the-top violent Navy SEAL training. Not bad, but lacking a little something extra.
July 28, 2016
One of the better films of Demi Moore in the mid 1990's, the story of a woman determined to complete the new intense Navy Seal program that even men are struggling to complete.

Demi Moore is great & dynamic in her role & tackles the masculinity of the role with ease but never sacrificing her feminine beauty.

It's a pretty straight forward film but is easy to watch & enjoyable to see watch a strong female lead. A entertaining action film also.
July 12, 2016
Director Ridley Scott was far to concerned with making a film that showcased Demi Moore that he failed to make it interesting, believable, or compelling. It features its share of eye-rolling moments.
September 2, 2015
good to see women kick mens asses
May 24, 2015
Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane is a great movie that is very underrated in my opinion. Demi Moore plays a serious and bad*bleep* soldier very well and is also very intimidating. Viggo Mortensen is having a lot of fun in this and is one of the best parts of the movie. The script by David Twohy and Danielle Alexandra is actually pretty good and gives off some memorable, probably silly for some viewers, lines. The main character is memorable, and it gives off some character development to some of the soldiers, even if it feels familiar to people that seen a lot of soldier movies. The plot is very interesting which I'm surprised to see that it's not based on a true story, even if there's twists that doesn't work at all for me and let's it by easy. G.I. Jane is not one of Ridley Scott's best as it has some problems that either needed to be changed, or was not needed, but it is still an enjoyable film that praises women for what they're doing, but never felt like an anti-men film.
May 8, 2015
Better than average action melodrama with a very nice performance from Mortensen.
December 30, 2014
A fun action movie seeing Demi Moore attempting to become the first female in the Navy Seals. A gritty performance from Demi, well backed up by Viggo Mortensen and Anne Bancroft. Don't know why it got so badly slated on release?
½ December 22, 2014
its movies like this that make me ask why anyone ever would want to be in the military? abuse, insults, beating people down so that they all of a sudden "learn" to kiss ass to people above them. ugh, very sad- i dont get how this helps anyone. As far as the movie, eh.
December 16, 2014
This is an excellent film in my opinion but i know a lot of people would disagree on this. Demi Moore a marvelous actress and display such a rare involvement in this film I sometimes wonder if she actually did the seal training for real. She seems so believable and determined that I can't imagine her not following an intense and die hard strict combat training previous to shooting the film. Ridley Scott does know how to shoot a film and here once again display an efficiency that few director have the ability to master. His film is raw, smells like sweat and feels like pain. What a depiction and what a cast! one of my favorite film of all time.
½ October 26, 2014
The problem with this this movie is the third act. I liked the politics, both in Washington and within the military, but the movie lost me when it went out to vindicate its' hero when a training exercise turns into a real life scenario. There was no need to add that drama. It was almost as if the writers got too lazy to write a third act that deals with the politics and the characters, but instead chooses to turn to action for excitement. It just seems like an insult to the audience.
½ October 21, 2014
A Senate Armed Services Committee interviews a candidate for the position of Secretary of the Navy. Senator Lillian DeHaven (Anne Bancroft) from Texas criticizes the Navy for not being gender-neutral. Behind the curtains, a deal is struck: If women compare favorably with men in a series of test cases, the military will integrate women fully into all branches of the Navy. The first test is the training course of the U.S. Navy Combined Reconnaissance Team. Senator DeHaven hand-picks topographical analyst Lieutenant Jordan O'Neil (Demi Moore), because she is physically more feminine than the other candidates. To make the grade, O'Neil must survive a grueling selection program in which almost 60 percent of all candidates wash out, most in the first week ("hell week"). The enigmatic Command Master Chief John James Urgayle (Viggo Mortensen) runs the brutal training program that involves 20-hour days of tasks designed to wear down recruits' physical and mental strength, including pushing giant ship fenders up beach dunes, working through obstacle courses, and hauling landing rafts. Given a 30-second time allowance in an obstacle course, O'Neil demands to be held to the same standards as the male trainees. O'Neill is determined to prove everyones wrong about her ability to succeed in getting the grade...

"G.I. Jane" is a Ridley Scott movie, but it looks like a Tony Scott movie. It carries his classic trademarks with ridiculous macho dialogue ("Suck my dick"...), general machoism and gung ho mentality. The males are more or less stupid canon fodder with their cocks in their hands while the females are either backstabbing cold businesslike senators, lesbians or hard edged "take no prisoners" sort of women. This sort of stereotypical unbalance is part of the problems with this movie. Another one is that Demi Moore´s portrait of Jordan is not fully convincing, she simply don´t carry that posture or "weight" that is needed in this sort of role. I have always liked her, but this is a bit out of her elements. The general foundation of the script has good points, in how we need to balance the genders in all parts of our society and that includes the army. A topic that is as current as ever. But, "G.I. Jane" falls to the ground like a hand grenade due to the fact how Ridley Scott has shot it and how the script has been developed and produced. Demi Moore won the Razzie Award for Worst Actress for her performance in this film, which is maybe not fully deserved in my point of view. But, I think this is a poor way of portraying a strong, willpowered and independent woman. An interesting fact is that an alternate ending was secretly filmed without the knowledge of Disney/Hollywood Pictures Executives. When Ridley Scott first screened the film for execs, he shocked and surprised them with the ending in which Demi Moore dies. Both endings were test screened simultaneously and although the darker ending scored higher with audiences, the happier ending was chosen by executives. Similar to the surprise ending for "Thelma and Louise", the alternate ending for "G.I. Jane" was a dark yet bittersweet one. Jordan (Moore) is killed when she risks her life to save her Commander (Viggo Mortensen) then eulogized on television by the tough Senator (Ann Bancroft). Later, the camera pans through a fresh group of SEAL recruits, among them are three women. I do like this ending better than the one that is used, however I don´t think my general opinion about the movie would´ve changed with this ending.
½ September 3, 2014
UPDATE: Looking back on it, it certainly ain't the best film of all time. But, what I can tell you now is that Demi Moore's performance carries the entire weight of the film. It does have a familiar storyline, however.
September 1, 2014
Demi Moore se la joue GI et ca marche bien. Superbe prestation.
Un bon film entre action et film de guerre, ou le feminisme est de rigueur.
August 11, 2014
you almost forget that this was directed by Ridley Scott
but it is a new turn of filmmaking by an acclaimed filmmaker
it's one of Demi Moore's best and strongest roles and really challenges a new level of sexual politics and gender clashing
Jordan is asked to join the NAVY Seals as part of a training exercise a female senator wants to use to her benefit to integrate the female population into combat
of course it's never easy putting one woman in a sea of men wanting nothing to do with her
she also has a commanding officer played by a young Viggo Mortensen who pushes her so far in terms of survival, not breaking under pressure, and never leaving a partner behind (man or woman)
the plot plays out as a smartly executed idea changing the status quo and bringing up several issues of gender, sex, equality, and political corruption
Demi Moore kicks so much ass going the extra mile wanting the choice given to her but also making her own statement on the scenario
so what if a woman can fight, does it mean only men should have the opportunity to fight for their country? a woman's death shouldn't matter more than a man's
nobody's asking for special treatment
Jordan speaks the truth in many forms
and the film also has gritty, well-shot combat scenes as well as the grueling physical training each of the soldiers has to endure
man or woman we have people fighting to protect all of us
August 8, 2014
(First and only viewing - 12/6/2009)
½ June 29, 2014
eh it had its moments..i hoped it would be better but i was disappointed.
June 21, 2014
Joskus 15 vuotta sitten kun tämän katoin, jätti vähän kylmäksi. Nyt piti vilasta uudestaan kun ajattelin että ois muuttunu paremmaksi. No eipä ollu.
May 22, 2014
self serving female Senator, played by Anne Bancroft, gets a female placed in the Navy Seals. Demi Moore puts some added muscle to her great looking frame. Ms. Moore is Lt. Jordan O'Neil and she is put in the dubious position of proving that women can keep up with their male counterparts during the rigors of military training. Director Ridley Scott keeps the pace steady enough that you don't want to turn your head. Many situations are convoluted, but make for an interesting movie. This is a serious action/drama that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Other cast members of note are Viggo Mortensen, Kevin Gage, Morris Chestnut and David Vadim. Worth watching more than once.
½ April 8, 2014
Yes, it has a terrible title. Yes, it's the movie where Demi Moore shaves her head. But as a military training film, it's pretty good. As far as Demi Moore's physique in this film, one word: damn.