Ginger Snaps Reviews

• Feb 05, 2021

What a wild movie about two teenage sisters trying to survive high school and eventually one of them turns into a werewolf. This movie reminds me a lot of the craft. It has that same feeling and to me it felt kinda like a rip off. But this movie has its own unique twist on it being a surprising very violent movie which I don't mind at all. But what's interesting is that the main two sisters seem the same but aren't all. The older sister especially before she became the werewolf had a bigger presence than the other sister. Rewatching this movie made me realize that even more. But for me when this whole movie goes down in a negative way is that 3rd act. It turns to stereotypical horror high school movie. Of the girl with all the powers is popular now and she's using it for her own personal power. How original. Not really by the way but you get the point. The rest of the movie is great and I want to learn more but man that 3rd act sucked. One plot hole real quick. In the third act, the mom finds out that somethings up and she drops off the younger sister at the Halloween party where she's supposed to get her older sister but then forgets her mom is there and takes the random dudes car back to there house. Makes no sense but anyway in the end I had a good time and this movie barely gets the thumbs up and recommendation from me. I wonder how the sequels will go?

• Feb 05, 2021

What a wild movie about two teenage sisters trying to survive high school and eventually one of them turns into a werewolf. This movie reminds me a lot of the craft. It has that same feeling and to me it felt kinda like a rip off. But this movie has its own unique twist on it being a surprising very violent movie which I don’t mind at all. But what’s interesting is that the main two sisters seem the same but aren’t all. The older sister especially before she became the werewolf had a bigger presence than the other sister. Rewatching this movie made me realize that even more. But for me when this whole movie goes down in a negative way is that 3rd act. It turns to stereotypical horror high school movie. Of the girl with all the powers is popular now and she’s using it for her own personal power. How original. Not really by the way but you get the point. The rest of the movie is great and I want to learn more but man that 3rd act sucked. One plot hole real quick. In the third act, the mom finds out that somethings up and she drops off the younger sister at the Halloween party where she’s supposed to get her older sister but then forgets her mom is there and takes the random dudes car back to there house. Makes no sense but anyway in the end I had a good time and this movie barely gets the thumbs up and recommendation from me. I wonder how the sequels will go?

• Jan 25, 2021

A clever werewolf movie! This Canadian horror film has to definitely be a genre classic in its own right. It's got about all the elements to make a campy, gory and fun pic as well as something extra. It's got a strong theme of sisterhood, as well as the want to fit in in high school during the teenage years. And it's all wrapped into a chilling story. The cinematography is good, it gives the movie a certain campy and gloomy feeling. A there's a good chemistry between Katherine Isabelle and Emily Perkins, who play two death obsessed sisters. While the first half of the film can take a little while to move sometimes, the second part was very satisfying. Overall, I enjoyed Ginger Snaps, it's an entertaining horror flick and one that genre fans are without a doubt going to enjoy! Recommended !!

• Jan 24, 2021

GINGER SNAPS has laid dormant for me for over 20 years before I saw it. A little late compared to most, I guess. The blood in this creature feature is expected and turns the werewolf genre up-side-down as a feminine coming-of-age story with bloated, practical special effects; naturalistic story telling; and some 90s sensibilities.

• Nov 29, 2020

I just can't understand the appeal. I wanted to like it, but...

I just can't understand the appeal. I wanted to like it, but...

• Nov 01, 2020

A surprisingly thoughtful monster movie with dynamic characters and an important lesson for high schoolers and beyond.

• Oct 31, 2020

Teen werewolves in Goth fashion. John Fawcett's Canadian coming of age horror picture Ginger Snaps (2000) is a genius twist on the werewolf subgenre. Fawcett brings in raw practical effects for the werewolf changing sequences resulting in shocking body horror. The costumes and looks are pure late 90's Canada with emo and Goth attire everywhere. Fawcett cleverly reinvents both werewolf narratives and teen violence by having a teenage girl transform into a werewolf as a metaphor for her puberty. John Fawcett is a riveting director here with Canadian tastefulness and creativity on full display. He carefully represents alternative girls with a genuine empathy for the life experiences and perspective of teenage girls for his young adult horror masterpiece. Karen Walton's script is gripping and feminist as she makes this werewolf narrative from the girls' viewpoint experiencing changes of bloody puberty, horny boys, peer pressure, teen bullying, teen drug use, strained parental relationships, sisterhood, self harm, and death. Her dark topics bravely center Ginger Snaps, with its quaint double meaning title, as a modern coming of age story for emo girls to relate to and there are werewolves. She takes all the angst of teenagers and the wrist slitting violence obsession of 2000's kids and reimagines all the horror on grounded terms. Ginger Snaps is so realistically written that you can imagine any real teenager from the late 1990's to early 2000's saying her words. Emily Perkins is adorable as the timid emo girl Brigitte "B" Fitzgerald. She's so meek and quiet that you really feel pity for this outsider lass. Perkins is quite petite and fits the part so well that you are always fascinated at her dramatic choices to portray a girl confused and scared by her beloved sister's transformation into a werewolf. She's just perfectly cast and delivers an astounding level of sincerity here. I loved her as Beverly in IT (1990) and she's only gotten better as a dramatic actress in Ginger Snaps. Katharine Isabelle is gorgeous as the fiery redhead Ginger Fitzgerald in Ginger Snaps. Her slow descent into madness and lycanthropy is as captivating as her fierce reverence for the macabre. She is playful as she flirts with boys, fearsome as she attacks girls, and empathetic as she experiences the changes every girl must unfortunately contend with throughout life. Isabelle delivers one of horror's most memorable scream queen leads as Ginger. I'm impressed by her confidence in portraying Ginger as both a devastatingly depressed Goth girl and deranged violent sadist. Kris Lemche is likable and intriguing as Sam, the helpful stoner, drug dealer, and botanist friend to Emily Perkins' Brigitte. He comes across as genuinely nice and interested. Mimi Rogers is amazing as the sisters' negligent and overbearing mother Pamela Fitzgerald. She's a riot. Jesse Moss is so sleazy and real as Jason McCarthy. Danielle Hampton is perfect as the mean girl Trina Sinclair. Ginger Snaps' cast is so cool that John Fawcett got Lucy Lawless as the school's PA System Announcer. Mike Shields' dark score is gripping and fun as he complements the bleak subject matter with his heavy music. There's alternative rock and heavy metal throughout Ginger Snaps that feels rare to hear anymore in films. Thom Best's cinematography is compelling with endless emotional close-up shots present to keep the viewer with these girls' feelings. All the wide shots are moody with dark or natural lighting. He holds on faces and horror sequences alike for equal drama. Brett Sullivan's editing striking only shows you what horror your imagination needs to see, while lingering on bloody gore as necessary. Ginger Snaps is a quick 108 minutes that never drags. To conclude, John Fawcett and Karen Walton gift us the best teen werewolf film ever and one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. I love Ginger Snaps for its courageous feminism and sympathy for strange teen girls.

• Oct 25, 2020

Werewolves, menstruation, puberty are all present and interlaced in this movie. I liked the Emo protagonists they are well constructed characters, sadly the "money shot" doesn't quite land. Werewolves do look like a prop and took me out of experience. Ending could have been better

• Sep 29, 2020

"I'm a movie fanatic but I don't normally watch movies like this! I'm normally a murder mystery type of gal but omg I tell u what whomever's saying this is not a good movie must either be EXTREMELY judgmental &/or just blind & dead bc it'll blow u away! I was interested from the very 1st scene to the very last! I don't particularly care for what happened at the end but of course not all scary movies are supposed to have happy endings I guess, right, LOL! Bottom-line darn good movie especially if u like werewolf High School drama bullying gory edge-of-ur-seat type stuff! One guy stated he didn't like how they did the werewolves I think that was one of the best graphics n this movie one of the best werewolfs n a film I've ever seen! Thumbs up all the way 100% in my book!"

• Sep 06, 2020

This movie breathed fresh air into the werewolf genre in the new millennium ( and I haven't seen the likes since). Intertwining human biology with the werewolf myth. This is still a treat to watch today, so in the everlasting words of Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford, Treat your self!