Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla Reviews

February 1, 2017
One of the best Godzilla films of all time, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla may be campy, silly blah blah blah but the fights between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla are great, so is the one with King Caesar too! This is overall one of the better films of the late Showa-era Godzilla films!!
January 27, 2017
All though it is the goriest entry in the monster kings series. It nonetheless delivers with plenty of substance.
August 30, 2016
Perhaps the greatest Godzilla movie ever made, even if its age makes the special effects, character designs and acting outdated by over 40 years. Still, this has the real dynamic monster fighting and acceptable human cast that a Godzilla movie should have instead of the earlier Showa Godzilla films or the Roland Emmerich's crappy ham-handed version or the 2014 Legendary remake. This definitely should be emphasized much more than other Godzilla movies, especially where Godzilla wasn't the hero.
½ June 1, 2016
A very action packed Godzilla movie with lots of blood, a very interesting story and mysteries, and epic battles from beginning to the end. As my favorite and first Godzilla movie, this is what I consider as this peak of the Showa Era and a top rating Godzilla film.
½ May 29, 2016
Good but why is the DVDs so rare that I have to go buy this on sumo gorilla?
½ March 28, 2016
This is the 14th Godzilla movie. It is better then most of the Godzilla movies made before it. The 15th Godzilla movie Terror of Mechagodzilla is better. Still this movie is a must see
February 23, 2016
En esta entrega del legendario monstruo japonés, Godzilla se une a la criatura legendaria llamada King Seeser para derrotar a Mechagodzilla, un poderoso robor creado por una malvada raza extraterrestre que pretende invadir la tierra. Mucho humor, efectos ridículos y peleas para satisfacer al fan de la saga.
½ October 26, 2015
this moives has robot monsters fight monster can't go wrong
May 20, 2015
Absolutely love this movie it's my favorite out of all of them such good action and I don't mind the cheesy aliens because it was done better than the others
½ October 21, 2014
After a string of bad films, this is the one that restored some faith in the tired franchise. Easily among the top 10 Godzilla films.
October 12, 2014
I really like this one! I think king Caesar is awesome and cute and i love the battle at the end! (King Caesar also gets a song that I enjoy very much)
August 10, 2014
Space monkeys from the third planet of the black hole try to take over earth with a robot Godzilla. If that hasn't got you interested nothing will. This time Godzilla is in one of his more heroic roles as goes up against his space titanium made foe however he fight does not go according to plan but thanks to the humans and an ancient prophecy King Caesar is reawakened and together they team up to kick metallic ass.
½ August 7, 2014
Probably the best Godzilla movie from the 70s. Its bouncy soundtrack also makes it fun.
July 31, 2014
One of my favorite Godzilla Showa films. I like this one a lot. Mechagodzilla is one of my favorite Godzilla enemies and his debut is a great one. The fight scenes are classic, and when Godzilla twists off Mechagodzilla's head, it's not only a classic scene but its somewhat funny. I enjoy watching this one.
May 19, 2014
These early Godzilla films are always fun, and this one is one of my favorites.
½ May 9, 2014
This is Godzilla's 14th movie and kind of a 20th anniversary special too. The first movie was great, but its 12 sequels just never got most of the spots right. They lacked a constant narrative and pacing, and most of them put the battle until the very end. However, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla decided to cut all this shit and bring an actually very watchable Godzilla film, with just enough action, characters and lack of stock footage for the good of the overall quality. Since Son of Godzilla, the dark and serious monster became a children's hero, and the quality of the movies started to fall down. Mechagodzilla is actual effort put into a film, and hands down of the better Godzilla films.

First of all, there's more action than other Godzilla films here, both monster vs monster and even humans fighting, doing some sloppy karate fights, but still entertaining at its best. The characters are nothing special, but they manage to develop some kind of connection at least, they're nothing great, but nothing awful either. The special effects and editing got better. The Mechagodzilla monster gives a lot of colorful powers and they help the movie and the action scenes, and they finally, AT LAST, they ultimately stop using stock footage for the fight scenes and monster scenes! The story also has a quicker pacing than previous films, and while still pretty standard, it's a lot better than previous entries. The fight scenes even get intense at some point, hell, we see Godzilla bleed! That's some upgrade right there. I really enjoyed this film.

In pure cinematic terms, this is just another kaiju film, but in pure Godzilla's terms, it's one of the best in the overall saga, both in the Showa series and all the series overall. Finally, a worthy Godzilla film after way too many "miss-it" entries. Believe it or not, this is only the second Godzilla film that I rate with a 70% (3.5 stars), the highest I've given so far to a Godzilla film, the first one being Gojira, the very first movie. Maybe the overall saga of Godzilla is hit and miss, but I still have 15 more Godzilla films to watch, and I'm practically in the final line of the Showa series, so only time will tell. We'll see if I can finish this before this year's new Godzilla film.
May 3, 2014
I don't really know how to rate this movie. It's the textbook definition of awful. The camera work makes Cloverfield look like Christopher Nolan, the movie lacks a 2nd act (1st act, filler, final fight), the soundtrack would make John Zorn proud, the dialogue is what ignorant Americans think Japanese sound like, the sets are awful, and they took a ton of things and threw them against the wall. But then again...I gotta give them so many props. The movie is so idiotically creative. You take Godzilla, a robotic version of Godzilla, a kung-fu lazer-shooting dog-lion God, and Angirus, took these yes bland but somehow iconic sets, a soundtrack that would make John Zorn proud, monster fights that are as laughable as compelling, also aliens that are really apes. I'm not even convinced this was intentionally insane. A++++++ See it forever
½ April 22, 2014
This film is just fun and crazy. Its highly entertaining and one of the best Godzilla movies from the 70s.
April 20, 2014
Corny aliens, a statue with laser eyes, a giant metal Godzilla clone and a story that falls way below par... Frankly the only worthwhile part of the movie was King Seeser who looked and fought differently from all other "monsters"... Maybe he should of been the focus... Frankly Godzilla is also looking a little tired now too, that rubber seems a little cheap for 1974...