Goldfinger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goldfinger Reviews

July 24, 2016
I can easily say this is my favorite of the series. Director Guy Hamilton just absolutely nails it with this film. This was the bond film that really brought Sean Connery to fame with the James Bond Franchise. And boy can I understand. Oh, also. Oddjob. Enough Said.
July 23, 2016
On par with On Her Majesty's Secret Service and The Spy Who Loved Me, Goldfinger is the best Bond film there will ever be, and among the cinematic greats.
½ July 21, 2016
One thing after all the incarnations of James Bond have come and gone, this is still the standard that every installment should live up to. Sean Connery's Bond is smooth and suave yet efficient, and immediately takes hold of the situation at hand. And you know that the bad girls are always the best one, which is why we truly love Pussy Galore. It all ends up ramping up due to Guy Hamilton's direction, wonderfully blending action/adventure, double entendres, and a wry sense of humor about it. There's a reason why it's classic and definitive, and it's all because it's the spy film done coolly.
July 10, 2016
10 out of 10:

What makes Goldfinger the best Bond movie? Probably it's the most thrilling entry with memorable characters, gadgets, and scenes.
July 9, 2016
Goldfinger = Goldmember, Pussy Galore = Alotta Fagina, Oddjob = Random Task, etc. Clearly well before my time but still very entertaining. My favorite one so far.
July 5, 2016
This is what I'm talking about
June 10, 2016
This is probably the only Bond film actually based on a Fleming book (rather than just taking the name, a la The Spy Who Loved Me, etc) that significantly improves upon its source. It does so by rethinking some of the more ludicrous ideas, such as Goldfinger's plan for the Fort Knox attack (the absurd scheme Bond postulates, that Goldfinger scoffs at, is more or less Fleming's version), and Pussy's lesbianism (her 'disorder' is much more overt in the book, and Bond helpfully 'cures' her of it with his man-lovin'. Whether it was done for reasons of censorship or common decency doesn't matter to the end result - the movie throws out Fleming's homophobic bulls#!t). They've also improved upon the Aston (in the book it's a DBIII with a phone in it), kind of creating a monster as far as the gadgets go, but allowing for a classic sequence, where Bond invades Goldfinger's compound in his fully-loaded spy car.

Gert Frobe (dubbed by another actor because he could barely speak English) is great as Auric, gentlemanly geniality barely concealing menace. Harold Sakata is also really good as Oddjob, Goldfinger's hat-slinging mute Korean manservant.

Honor Blackman is a fine Pussy. Shirley Eaton is good fun as Jill. Tania Mallet is not quite as good, as Jill's vengeful sister Tilly, but does OK.

Guy Hamilton's first (and easily best) effort as director set the standard for the series for many years to come, introducing an overall jokier tone than the previous two, most obviously in Bond's affectionate needling of the grouchy Q.

The score is one of John Barry's best (for me, it's second only to OHMSS), and the Shirley Bassey theme song has rightfully become a classic.

Overall, this is still probably the best Bond movie ever made.
½ May 31, 2016
"Do you expect me to talk? No Mr Bond I expect you to die!"... AWESOME!
½ May 30, 2016
5/30/2016: Pretty decent. Pretty much what I expected from an old Bond film.
May 21, 2016
I grew up watching these movies. This one is one of the best of the series. The visual effects for 1965 were stellar, as well as the art direction.
May 8, 2016
My least favorite of the original 3. Goldfinger and Oddjob are fantastic villains with an awesome plan, but Goldfinger makes every possible mistake to allow Bond to stop him. Potential to be a 5 star movie, but fell short for me. 84 out of 100
May 1, 2016
This is it; the best Bond film there is; the first one that comes to mind when you think of Bond; "Goldfinger".

"Goldfinger" is the film that laid the foundation for every Bond film to follow, featuring all of the classic Bond tropes: the cars, the gadgets, the Bond girls, and the villains. This is also the first Bond film to feature a cold opening, as we get to see Bond on the tail end of one adventure, only to jump into another. And what a great cold opening it is! It establishes early that this will be an action-packed film.

And indeed, "Goldfinger" features some great action scenes, with Sean Connery handling himself with as much charm and cool as ever. Opposite Connery are Bond's first, truly iconic villain and henchman in the forms of Auric Goldfinger (played by Gert Fröbe) and Oddjob (Harold Sakata), and his first, truly iconic Bond girl, Pussy Galore (played by Honor Blackman). They too help contribute to the iconicity of this film and this franchise.

"Goldfinger" is such a fun film, full of twists and turns! This is golden age Bond at its finest - pardon the pun.
½ May 1, 2016
Bond is a bit of a whore isn't he? I know he can escape danger, but there's a difference between having swag, and trying to get every girl in bed, including your assassins and enemies. Come to think of it, Bond doesn't really have much character outside of the 'swag' idea. However he does have his moments and it's always enjoyable to see a person outsmart his enemies instead of outfight them. I also like how Bond keeps on getting into trouble, especially how he had so many failed escape attempts: that does bring some realism (unlike that other Bond film when he took on the entire North Korean army singlehanded). I do not remember the girls AT ALL. One was named Pussy, oh haha. One was painted in gold, ok... One screws everything up. The point i'm making is that they all are so similar to each other and have almost no personality that I just don't care for them. Where this movie shines is in its villains; Goldfinger and Oddjob. Gold is very intelligent but his temper and brutality makes him dangerously unpredictable. Oddjob's muteness and indestructibility makes him mysterious and really intimidating. Overall this film feels more like a superhero story than a spy movie, with Bond basically playing the role of Batman but with fewer bat-weapons. I don't know why this film is so famous though, I think it's overrated, at least by today's standards. Still good, but definitely not the Citizen Kane of action, or even spy movies.
½ April 28, 2016
Top 5 Bond movie for sure.
April 21, 2016
This is the 3rd James Bond movie. It is better then the 1st 2. The 4th James Bond movie Thunderball is better. This a great movie. See it.
April 18, 2016
This is the true definition of classic Bond. With gadgets, girls, Martinis and a ludicrous plot, this is truely a stunning piece of filmography which spawned possibly the biggest (and longest) movie series ever created. You come out feeling both shaken and stirred.
½ March 30, 2016
What a classic James Bond! It's kind of hard going back and watching the original James Bond movies because I started with Pierce Brosnan and a very different style of cinematography and action. You really go back to the basics with this movie. However, you get introduced to classic characters like Goldfinger, pussy galore and odd job. You even get to see the classic video game level called Fort Knox from the game night fire. Lots of nostalgia however the action is obviously very slow. I really like odd job and his hat though. And there are plenty of James Bond jokes since he's totally the player.
March 25, 2016
It took until the third installment of the Ian Fleming-based James Bond spy movie franchise for its identity to crystallize. Following on the successful heels of Dr. No and From Russia with Love- both directed by Terence Young, Sean Connery's early mentor for the urbane leading role - Goldfinger marked a significant upgrade in production values that would make everything about the franchise iconic.
Budgeted at more than the cost of the first two films combined, Goldfinger launched the ritual of beginning each subsequent Bond film with a stand-alone mission sequence for the fictional British MI6 agent, known by his code number 007, to show off his stuff. Other customs follow. An assignment meeting with British Secret Service head M allows for the otherwise autonomous Mr. Bond to have his feathers clipped while being informed of his latest mission. A little office flirtation with M's secretary Ms. Moneypenny segues into a meeting with resident gadget master Q, who gets Bond up to speed on the state-of-the-art devices that the audience can expect to see employed throughout the movie. From here on, female characters would be sexier and more dangerous, yet also more likely to die. Exotic set pieces would be epic in scale. The series' signature nuanced tone, straddling dualities such as dry humor and outrageous danger, would be more pronounced.
Goldfinger is practically the template for the modern action blockbuster, yet still it's impossible to hate. In fact, it's deucedly hard not to love, simply because everything it does, it does so much better than its inheritors. A handful of other Bond flicks qualify as more "serious" suspense, and one (Skyfall) even borders on flawless. But Goldfinger will always be the best, for the same reason the Beatles will always be the best rock act and Peanuts will always be the best American comic strip: It's a phenomenon that defines its category.
March 25, 2016
Classic Bond, plain and simple. Goldfinger has some of the franchise's most iconic moments, quotable lines, and possibly the best villain (and henchman) in the entire series (with a surprisingly brilliant plan to boot). It's an endlessly entertaining quintessential spy thriller. When you think "James Bond", you think "Goldfinger".