Goldfinger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goldfinger Reviews

December 14, 2017
This, the third take on agent 007 really pulls out all of the stops. Providing us with a constantly moving, always entertaining, and highly intriguing plot. Most of all though, it continues to prove to us, that although he may be the first actor to ever grace the screen in the titular role, Sean Connery is still by far the best actor to have ever portrayed James Bond, and ultimately proves that this, his third time in the titular role, is literally the gold standard for the series, and even the genre.
November 22, 2017
i wish life was more like this movie
October 21, 2017
Goldfinger is the quintessential and (many would argue) essential Bond. Featuring a series best villain, henchman, Bond girl (named rather straightforwardly Pussy Galore), and gadgets (with the introduction of the superb Desmond Llewelyn as everyone's favorite grumpy tinkerer), Goldfinger assembled the Bond formula fully for the first time and crafted a film to define a series, a genre, and an era of filmmaking. Top notch.
½ September 30, 2017
Only complaint it the instrumental music during the flight scene when Ms. Galore's students are attempting to poison the soldiers surrounding Fort Knox.
September 18, 2017
This is often regarded as the best Bond film and I certainly agree. This is Connery at his finest.
September 15, 2017
The best of the franchise to date, Goldfinger is a perfect combination of the action, gadgets, catchphrases, and humor that made James Bond a timeless classic. It features another fantastic performance from Connery, as well as one of the best villains of the franchise.
September 10, 2017
This film is different from From Russia With Love but similar to Dr No . Goldfinger sets the franchise back on its formulaic but very entertaining path. All of the first five Connery Bond films are brilliant but this one stands out as being almost perfect.
September 8, 2017
Best Bond movie ever!!!!!!
September 5, 2017
classic, one of the best in the series
½ August 31, 2017
The first classic James Bond film, "Goldfinger" is an engrossing flick that, despite the eye-popping conventions of its genre, relies on some wonderfully orchestrated action scenes, a good plot and a bit of humour here and there to deliver an entertaining two hours. Sean Connery is a joy as always and so are the gadgets he employs. A film that holds up very well more than half a century later.
August 24, 2017
Sean Connery returns as James Bond who goes on a mission to investigate the powerful Auric Goldfinger (played by Gert Frobe) and thwart the crimes he plans to pull off involving... You guessed it: gold.

I had higher expectations than usual when watching "Goldfinger", given the film's reputation as one of the best Bond movies of all time. And I feel confident in saying I can see why.

First of all, I thought the pacing, special effects, and villains were all improved in this film than in "Dr. No". This movie doesn't feel like it drags as often as the latter, thanks to the engaging script that offers plenty of surprises with the plot of the film and the villains and characters. The action scenes were also very entertaining. The filmmakers amped up the excitement scale with larger environments and some tense moments involving a bowler hat (even though some green screen effects looked obvious).

My favorite elements of this movie were the main villain, Goldfinger, and his henchman, Oddjob. Immediately when Goldfinger is introduced, he is shown to have hidden vices: he's cheating in a card game. And despite Oddjob's silence, he is a deadly opponent, with a cool hat-weapon ready to fire.

*spoilers*
The one sequence that I thought was kind of convenient is near the end, when Pussy Galore (Honor Blackman) turns good after Bond supposedly "tames" her (to understate things). I found it convenient because I don't think a woman would save a man after being in her situation, but on the other hand, in the franchise, Bond is shown to have enough charm over women to get what he wants, even if at their cost (like the woman painted in gold at the beginning).
*end of spoilers*

So despite its somewhat flimsy ending, "Goldfinger" is still a very well-crafted thrill-ride with great action sequences, and great performances and characters.
8/10
August 12, 2017
I'm probably the only one who didn't like Goldfinger!
August 4, 2017
Any Bond film where Bond himself is captive for most of the movie and is kept alive for no reason is a bad one. The most overrated film in the series.
July 31, 2017
one of my favorite 007 movies.
½ July 19, 2017
Regarded as the best of the Bond series, Goldfinger certainly lives up to its reputation with Sean Connery as sly as ever, two classic villains, and a brilliant story that contributed largely to the classic Bond formula, making this the most memorable and all around best 007 film to date.
July 12, 2017
My favorite Connery Bond film. Dame Shirley Bassey's intro is a one of my favorite film songs to this day.
July 1, 2017
This is probably the only Bond film actually based on a Fleming book (rather than just taking the name, a la The Spy Who Loved Me, etc) that significantly improves upon its source. It does so by rethinking some of the more ludicrous ideas, such as Goldfinger's plan for the Fort Knox attack (the absurd scheme Bond postulates, that Goldfinger scoffs at, is more or less Fleming's version), and Pussy's lesbianism (her 'disorder' is much more overt in the book, and Bond helpfully 'cures' her of it with his man-lovin'. Whether it was done for reasons of censorship or common decency doesn't matter to the end result - the movie, by not explicitly addressing her orientation, leaves it a mystery, thereby doing away with Fleming's homophobic bulls#!t). They've also improved upon the Aston (in the book it's a DBIII with a phone in it), kind of creating a monster as far as the gadgets go, but allowing for a classic sequence, where Bond invades Goldfinger's compound in his fully-loaded spy car.

Gert Frobe is great as Auric, gentlemanly geniality barely concealing menace. Harold Sakata is also really good as Oddjob, Goldfinger's hat-slinging mute Korean manservant.

Honor Blackman is a fine Pussy. Shirley Eaton is good fun as Jill. Tania Mallet is not quite as good, as Jill's vengeful sister Tilly, but does OK.

Guy Hamilton's first (and easily best) effort as director set the standard for the series for many years to come, introducing an overall jokier tone than the previous two, most obviously in Bond's affectionate needling of the grouchy Q.

The score is one of John Barry's best (for me, it's second only to OHMSS), and the Shirley Bassey theme song has rightfully become a classic.

Overall, this is still probably the best Bond movie ever made.
½ June 26, 2017
This is probably the best Sean Connery, Bond film. It has a great plot and Villain.

9.3/10
June 20, 2017
Sean Connery is excellent as always. The villian is rather weak as he is in many of these early Bond films. The action is good. The car scenes were stolen for a video game I used to love to play in the 80s. Good but not great.
June 18, 2017
Terceiro filme da serie 007 Goldfinger traz velhos hábitos aliado há a criatividade imagina mais eficaz, tornando o melhor do que seu antecessores, mas o potencial argumentativo ainda e fraco e trada as mulheres como objeto, talvez isso fosse bem visto para a época mas hoje soa pesado.