Goldfinger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goldfinger Reviews

August 12, 2017
I'm probably the only one who didn't like Goldfinger!
August 4, 2017
Any Bond film where Bond himself is captive for most of the movie and is kept alive for no reason is a bad one. The most overrated film in the series.
July 31, 2017
one of my favorite 007 movies.
½ July 19, 2017
Regarded as the best of the Bond series, Goldfinger certainly lives up to its reputation with Sean Connery as sly as ever, two classic villains, and a brilliant story that contributed largely to the classic Bond formula, making this the most memorable and all around best 007 film to date.
July 12, 2017
My favorite Connery Bond film. Dame Shirley Bassey's intro is a one of my favorite film songs to this day.
July 1, 2017
This is probably the only Bond film actually based on a Fleming book (rather than just taking the name, a la The Spy Who Loved Me, etc) that significantly improves upon its source. It does so by rethinking some of the more ludicrous ideas, such as Goldfinger's plan for the Fort Knox attack (the absurd scheme Bond postulates, that Goldfinger scoffs at, is more or less Fleming's version), and Pussy's lesbianism (her 'disorder' is much more overt in the book, and Bond helpfully 'cures' her of it with his man-lovin'. Whether it was done for reasons of censorship or common decency doesn't matter to the end result - the movie, by not explicitly addressing her orientation, leaves it a mystery, thereby doing away with Fleming's homophobic bulls#!t). They've also improved upon the Aston (in the book it's a DBIII with a phone in it), kind of creating a monster as far as the gadgets go, but allowing for a classic sequence, where Bond invades Goldfinger's compound in his fully-loaded spy car.

Gert Frobe is great as Auric, gentlemanly geniality barely concealing menace. Harold Sakata is also really good as Oddjob, Goldfinger's hat-slinging mute Korean manservant.

Honor Blackman is a fine Pussy. Shirley Eaton is good fun as Jill. Tania Mallet is not quite as good, as Jill's vengeful sister Tilly, but does OK.

Guy Hamilton's first (and easily best) effort as director set the standard for the series for many years to come, introducing an overall jokier tone than the previous two, most obviously in Bond's affectionate needling of the grouchy Q.

The score is one of John Barry's best (for me, it's second only to OHMSS), and the Shirley Bassey theme song has rightfully become a classic.

Overall, this is still probably the best Bond movie ever made.
½ June 26, 2017
This is probably the best Sean Connery, Bond film. It has a great plot and Villain.

9.3/10
June 20, 2017
Sean Connery is excellent as always. The villian is rather weak as he is in many of these early Bond films. The action is good. The car scenes were stolen for a video game I used to love to play in the 80s. Good but not great.
June 18, 2017
Terceiro filme da serie 007 Goldfinger traz velhos hábitos aliado há a criatividade imagina mais eficaz, tornando o melhor do que seu antecessores, mas o potencial argumentativo ainda e fraco e trada as mulheres como objeto, talvez isso fosse bem visto para a época mas hoje soa pesado.
½ June 17, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: This is the Bond that started all the cliches we know today, and lets be honest, it's great to see the vodka-martinis and the stylish name phrases all come into existence. In fact, this is arguably a film all about style, as Hamilton truly ups the stakes and the spectacle to make for one hell of an exciting ride. Connery doesn't compromise on his class either, and as result this is a very engaging and enjoyable adventure indeed.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: All that explosive stuff does arguably exist at the expense of a more delicate balance between character and mystery exploration, compared to it's albeit less famous predecessors
VERDICT: 'Goldfinger' is exhilarating, explosive action fun. Bond was arguably born here, but its beginnings lie in slightly more sophisticated territory.
June 13, 2017
One of the early bond films with Sean Connery. This is the one that revolutionized the whole franchise.
What I mean is, this is the one that started all of the gadgets and action that we see in most Bond films today.
I can easily see why people consider this to be the best of the whole series. Yet something is still holding me back. There were times for me that ran dull. Everything else was good.
Good villain, good plot, good acting, creative flow of story. There wasn't anything wrong with these things. There's not much else to say.
Over all, Goldfinger is a very influential film and is definitely in the top five in the series. 4/5 stars
½ May 28, 2017
The rapy-ness was just lame. Good. But Dr. No was better. Why would Pussy want to help him? No rhyme or reason. But some iconic lines. Extra cred. The 2nd best Bond.
½ May 26, 2017
A mix between the more low-key thrillers that proceeded and the more outlandish action movies that followed, by being a halfway house between the two styles it may not quite excel at either or mesh them together as well as others in the series, but Goldfinger is remarkable for establishing the formula of the series. It has memorable villains, Connery on top form, and a belter of a theme. The Bond girls all have interesting potential, but are underdeveloped (even by series standards) and the relationship between Bond and Pussy is especially poorly handled and unconvincing. This is a more of major problem than it is in other Bonds since it ends up being integral to the plot, but otherwise it's an accomplished piece of entertainment filled with iconic moments.
May 23, 2017
Classic Bond movie is not as good as From Russia With Love in my opinion but it is the blueprint from which all others followed. A perfect blend of action, gimmickry, gadgets and sex and Honor Blackman as the sexy Pussy Galore! Sean Connery has the most fun as 007 here. Bond films never got better than this until perhaps, the Daniel Craig era.
May 23, 2017
What a great film. Best James Bond film I've seen so far so entertaining and a great villain
April 10, 2017
First of the really popular Bond movies, with the perfect balance of outrageous set-pieces and sly humour. Yes, it's fairly obvious (look at those skies!) that the UK is standing in for Kentucky and Fort Knox, but Connery is, as ever, excellent as Bond James Bond - and Gert Frobe (dubbed superbly by Michael Collins) is a marvellous Trump-like villain. Only the slightly tedious final shootout at Fort Knox weakens things.
April 9, 2017
one of my favorite movies of all time
February 22, 2017
Goldfinger presents one of the better Bond villains in the venerable series, and with Sean Connery's suave and charismatic portrayal, it succeeds with many trademarks of the series, especially the car and gadgets and even the ridiculous plan by the titular villain.
February 7, 2017
- Classic Bond movie is not as good as From Russia With Love but it is the blueprint from which all others followed. A perfect blend of action, gimmicks, gadgets and sex. Sean Connery has the most fun as 007 here.
½ January 25, 2017
By far the best of the older Bond movies and arguably maybe the best overall.