Gomorrah (Gomorra) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gomorrah (Gomorra) Reviews

½ May 22, 2017
With interwoven characters and a convoluted, but gripping plot, "Gomorrah" gnashes at the audience like a rabid dog.
January 7, 2017
Like a realistic version of The Godfather or an Italian City of God. A gritty drama about the people involved in organized and disorganized crime in impoverished Italy. Gripping and shocking from start to end.
½ January 7, 2017
Fly on the wall style look at the way the Mafia work which certainly drains it of its Goodfellas related romanticism, but doesn't seem to tell us anything new.
October 29, 2016
The mob at work. This film is incredibly realistic. We simply follow the mob's work in a city. We learn a lot. I didn't know the mob had welfare. Good luck delivering it though. It's like normal society, except more murderous, more rotten, more back-stabbing, more lying. Same but more worse. Just imagine society run by idiots and psychopaths. That is this film.
October 29, 2016
½ October 26, 2016
A very dense and gritty crime drama that is not afraid to pull punches, but suffers from some odd story choices. The movie opens with a scene of mobsters in a tanning salon that are butchered by their traitorous friends. Quick cuts to all of the mobsters getting one-tapped with cold precision precedes a movie that isn't about random killings or the higher ups of the mob brass. It's about the impact the mob has in the lives of a variety of people. It felt like a cheap way to draw the audience in, especially since we never find out the motivations behind these actions or who the characters who die are.

A common theme that I see in foreign crime dramas is that they ask us to keep up with too many characters in too many similar circumstances. Gomorrah also has this problem. The best characters in the movie, the wannabe gangster friends and the delivery boy, far outshine the other characters. It felt weird to even include both the tailor and the money deliverer in the movie, given that their story threads end the exact same way-they are spared amidst bloodshed because of their mob connections. Below all of these characters, the story thread about the dumping of chemicals that follows an older shrewd businessman and his young apprentice seemed even more out of place.

I do want to stress how good the wannabe gangsters were. The first scene that we meet them in is just fantastic. The scene opens on the more headstrong of the two reenacting the movie Scarface as his friend eggs him on. This sets the pace for their characters, as they continue to up the ante in terms of their hijinks, eventually stealing a weapons cache in my favorite scene in the movie.

The setting is absolutely amazing, put into life by the sweeping views of the decrepit apartment conglomerates that the characters live in. Certainly worth a watch.
August 15, 2016
I don't think I'd be able to watch this.
½ August 4, 2016
The uprising mafia interest has itīs root from this piece of rather realistic tales set from the mafia in Napoli. It must be defined as rather confusing, as the parallel stories not hurling together as neatly like we are used to experience them. Though the material is strong and willing, letting us in the drabant ghettoes where education and normal working life is nearly unheard of.
½ July 23, 2016
This film was a major disappointment considering the favourable reviews it received. It is a major sleep-fest. The story is not obvious and unless I read the plot online, I would not have understood the storyline. It is simply unclearly presented.

The film is long, plodding, dragging, and does not tie up well together. Perhaps if they divided it into 4 or 5 separate mini stories like Reservoir Dogs, it would be easier to follow. What is most bizarre, is that the lack of clarity is not simply done for artistic device, but rather the film is not structured well.

I could easily justify the editing out of 30 minutes to make this more watchable. I hate to state this, but perhaps this film needed a touch of Hollywood editing down to a more marketable format to improve its watchability.

The characters could have been written in so that the viewer builds some empathy for their tragic ends, simply by providing a deeper back story, but instead the viewer is compelled to lack surprise or any feelings when they are murdered.

I do appreciate the earthy and realistic way this story is told, which conveys the hopelessness of the slums of southern Italy. To me, this film would be great had it been a graduate submission for a film school program.

Could I watch this film again? Never. Could I recommend it? Never.
½ July 2, 2016
Fantastic flick showing the depths of the organized crimes in some of the urban areas of Italy. The film follows around a myriad of different characters throughout their existence, probably the most telling is the one involving two eager teenage gangbanger wannabes. Overall the plot is a little soft given as there is no real direction other than just showing the different lives and keeps this from being an all time classic IMO.
½ June 17, 2016
This is what William Friedkin would have done with The Godfather: a stripped down, often confusing, brilliantly directed and acted portrait of a Neapolitan community ruled by violence and fear. There are no glib answers, everything is simply documented and left to us to consider. Riveting.
½ May 26, 2016
totally gripping unglamorous portrait of the Naples mafia (comorra). Highly recommended
January 15, 2016
Grizzly Italian Mob film that downplays the emotional connection to the mob killing, but plays like a European Sopranos with a more epic handling.
Without the strip club and psychiatry visits, hence less humor and irony, and yet still compelling and knowingly rich in details and atmosphere, and the mundane of daily life amped up with guns and attitudes.
Not family friendly in the least, it does offer adults a straight forward view of the crass, cruel, brutal banality of mob rule.

3 armor-piercing bullets out of 5
December 21, 2015
Expose on the Camorra crime organization is presented in 6 unconnected stories. Despite the movie's length, you just get a glimpse into the characters situations and the movie jumps quickly between each of the story lines and only stays with the individual story lines for short bursts. Between the subtitles and the 6 stories, blink and you miss a chunk of the plot. It requires a lot of concentration to stay focused. Watch this to be educated, but not entertained, the grittiness and lack of hope is almost overwhelming. This is the underbelly of Italy at it's worse.
December 3, 2015
Following in the same type of path that City of God created Gomorrah is a gritty, nasty and harrowing look at the criminal underworld in modern day Naples. Not just about the criminals, but also about how it affects their entire community. Most of the focus here takes place in a run down project building facility in Naples where its inhabitants are mostly a group ruthless gangbanging bandits. Usually when you think of gang bangers the first thing that comes to your mind is Blood and Crips and baggy jeans and bandanas. Not the case here. It really shows how a whole different culture and way of life in the end has the same exact elements as any other criminal underbelly. The film is almost disturbing in how real it feels. From the young kids who are born into it, to the wannabe guys who try their hardest to fit in with the crowd. But it mostly displays a brutally violent portrait of Naples. If you like mafia and gang films and don't mind subtitles, this should be right up your alley.
½ October 31, 2015
The Italy of Gomorrah barely resembles the Italy of Antonioni and Rossellini, a eurotrash cesspit defined by brutal violence, crushing poverty, and rampant gang activity. It intentionally deglamorizes the myth of the Italian gangster, exposing it as a lechorous and destructive presence among its own community, reducing the families it claims to protect to desperate, impoverished shells living out of bombed apartment complexes, all the while fueling commercial networks that produce massive amounts of toxic waste that poison the environment that they live in. The distinction between the myth and the reality is important, actively objecting to the pervasive iconography associated with the mafia, sublimating its deconstruction with track suits, techno music, and overly-manicured eyebrows as a rebuttal to the type of heroic, "fun" stereotypes prevalent in films purporting to cover the same ground as Gomorrah. It's not a fun film, but it's not meant to be, and its existence is warranted given how popular the imagery its decries as false are in the media.
½ October 11, 2015
Really shows how everyone in Italy is connected to the mafia one way or another
September 24, 2015
slabo,premnogu izvikan film,serijata e mnogu mnogu podobra
April 10, 2015
I was lucky enough to catch this at the cinema when it was released in 2008. Watched it again when it was released on DVD and dug it out recently after finishing the excellent (unrelated) tv show. A modern crime classic.