Goodbye Pork Pie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Pork Pie Reviews

December 2, 2013
This movie has a lot going for it: compelling emotional character development, lightheartedness and understated humour, desperation, ordinariness, great personality, the road trip, the scenery, and of course, the seventies! It's unpretentious, straightforward storytelling with great car chases, crazy capers, memorable dialogue, punchlines, a darker side, an interesting poke at both convention and anarchy and an explosive finale.
April 4, 2013
A very Kiwi film, I have no idea how people actually can enjoy this film because simply it doesn't have a valid plot, also the acting was pretty terrible. The characters are disturbingly obnoxious and dislikeable. I mean basically they are all liberal criminals. It shows the beauty of New Zealand scenery but not the people. There's really nothing good about this film.
June 25, 2011
I'm getting a car and doing this in honour of the blondini gang.
January 11, 2011
had a few good laughs
July 23, 2010
***new zealand movie***
½ May 25, 2010
awesome cult NZ film, as if malcom mcdowell had starred in raising arizona
½ April 4, 2010
COOL MOVIE, AWESOME CAST AND SUPERB ACTION.
½ January 5, 2010
A Kiwi classic. It's surprising that Wellington looked almost the same back then as it does now. The scene with the railway cars and the ferry is unforgettable.
½ October 22, 2009
I was not expecting this movie to be as good as it is.
½ September 26, 2009
WEB. Super-, superentretenida y original. Guión, dirección y actuaciones se combinan para mantener frescos el ritmo y el afecto por los personajes. / Super, superentertaining and original. Screenplay, direction and performances combine to keep fresh the rhythm and the affection for its characters.
½ July 27, 2009
i love it great movie
January 29, 2009
Great Kiwi Nostalgia. A must see every year or so to remind us how kiwi life and attitudes once were. Great fun.
December 9, 2008
classic nz movie........roll a bifta,sit back and enjoy!
November 18, 2008
Crazy and dated and i love it!

Chickle fest!
October 14, 2008
Jut a great fun movie, should have a cult following, don't know that its oo well known outside NZ, simple little story effecive and just a great god old fun movie, great scenery blah blah. if you havent scene it, its well worth it
September 10, 2008
So my usual requests on rainy holiday nights are for a movie the local people reccomend, I've seen a few crackers down through the years since New Zealands 70's upsurge, but an on the ground reccy can be worth it's weight in gold so when I was handed "goodbye Pork Pie" I was a bit hopeful.

it's dated a little bit in some ways but in others most of these places they filmed on location look the same as they do now so it's weirdly up to date as well. What's great fun is that it's a complete low budget gem, the director did most of the car stunts, and the whole cast give the sense that it's a good time making the film, it's rebellious, funny, more than a little crude, and all the better for it, part road movie, part anti-establishment, it's pretty infectious lo-fi fun.

Somehow the end result is like a kiwi answer to easy rider, only with none of the self importance and all of the ability to have a laugh at it's own expense, to be honest, the little mini of the piece goes through the wringer more than the main characters, losing more and more parts in the run from north to south island.

You can see why this film is so beloved, and deserves it's place alongside those early Roger Donaldson gems like Sleeping Dogs, and Smash Palace.Find a copy and have a laugh with some mates, you'll be chortling like "pissed Chucks"
½ August 21, 2008
Great movie, sadly not more widely known. A pity more of the classic mini fans didn't watch this instead of Italian Job and perhaps less would have suffered with bollocks Union Jack 'upgrades' and over the top market prices!!
August 7, 2008
Really fun little comedy with some excellent one liners.
½ July 29, 2008
a kiwi classic simple story but loved it seen it so many times
½ July 26, 2008
Pretty cool road movie. not the most fantasic thng ever but solid.