The Great Muppet Caper Reviews

• Oct 08, 2019

While not as good as The Muppet Movie (1979), this is still a classic Muppet film. With a completely random plot, some amazing songs, and the classic gang of Muppets, this is a very enjoyable film.

• Sep 30, 2019

best movie don't argue with me i'm right periodt

best movie don't argue with me i'm right periodt

• Jun 01, 2019

There's always something enjoyable, heartwarming, and nonsensical whenever the Muppets are involved---unfortunately, however, the Muppets themselves feel almost barely involved here in their own movie, which seems content to keep Kermie and Co. commenting on the sidelines as the plot briskly bounces aimlessly from obsolescent cameo to cameo, song to mediocre song, one pointless bit to the next, some working but most not.

• Mar 29, 2019

With their off-the-walls humor & gags, and 4th-wall-breaking wit, the Muppets' second movie is another great showcase of those things, but the plot seems less refined by the first movie's standards and the songs are less catchy.

• Mar 08, 2019

As of today my personal favorite of the Muppet movies. it's hilarious, the characters are great, and the songs are as catchy and memorable as can be.

• Nov 15, 2018

A silly thievery centered adventure! The Great Muppet Caper (1981) is a wonderful time with the old classic style of Jim Henson's direction. Henson takes care with his camera to constantly give gags and satire alike while sending up old movie genres. Classic Hollywood romance, dance, detective noir, and comedies are all parodying with gleeful smiling Muppets. While the story is pretty basic and bland as far as Muppet tales go, the technical execution and extraordinary creativity with which Henson and company bring to the Muppets sells itself. Kermit the Frog, The Great Gonzo, and Fozzie Bear are all mainstays herein, but Miss Piggy is the star of The Great Muppet Caper. Much like The Muppet Movie being our introduction and backstory for Kermit and Fozzie or Muppets From Space giving Gonzo a backstory, The Great Muppet Caper piles on Piggy's lifestyle with endearing drama. Her life portions and viewpoint are hilarious in how over the top Henson takes them. The pacing is a little slow at times, but always a sweet breeze of easy comedic tone. The music is pretty, while not as memorable as past or future Muppet films. Despite clever writing and stellar direction, The Great Muppet Caper is simply a fun movie, not a great film. I must mention that The Great Muppet Caper at least brings along a bunch of fun celebrity cameos that feel natural to the atmosphere and vibe of the film instead of feeling like cheap ploys. Diana Rigg is fantastic as an eccentric fashion designer. Charles Grodin is generic, but stupid entertainment in a few scenes with Miss Piggy. John Cleese is hilarious as a stuffy British aristocrat. Robert Morley's cameo is pleasant English gallantry and fuss. Peter Ustinov gets a truly unexpected moment to shine. Similarly, Peter Falk delivers a very goofy monologue to much laughter. Lastly, Jim Henson himself guest stars as a wealthy dinner patron with a cute cameo. In all, The Great Muppet Caper is not my favorite Muppet movie, but it is certainly still a charming comedy. The laughs are perhaps too clever for most children, but the parents will enjoy the writing's satire, sarcasm, mockery. I think kids will only like the sillier slapstick aspects or the various musical numbers. The Great Muppet Caper is as if Jim Henson made a Muppet movie for the jaded adults in the room that refuse to find the Muppets endearing.

• Phil H Super Reviewer
    Sep 07, 2018

This second major Muppet production was a British - American collaboration and marked Jim Henson's directorial debut. Alas twas the only major Muppet movie to be directed by Jim Henson. So this movie was a caper, a crime caper, and it was set in England. The premise? Well there's a big jewel heist (in New York I think) and local reporters Kermit and Fozzie miss it. Because of this the duo get axed from their reporter jobs. Luckily they manage to talk their editor into allowing them to fly to England in order to investigate the crime and interview the victim, Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg). Upon reaching England the duo (plus Gonzo) team up with other Muppets and begin to unravel the crime despite only being reporters and not the police. Like the first Muppet movie I grew up with this one. This was a regular VHS weekend viewing type situation for many years (along with 'Superman 3'). So I will cut straight to the chase here and say that I prefer this second movie over the first. Yep, the rather odd intro of Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo landing in downtown Manhatten (?) in their hot air balloon for no real apparent reason. Where just moments before Gonzo was essentially contemplating suicide because it looked like fun. And upon hitting the ground a song and dance routine breaks out...just because. Is indeed all very off the wall, but its visually brilliant and a clear sign of what's to come. It's funny really. Where as the first movie had a really underwhelming plot, as far as I'm concerned, it was relatively grounded for the Muppets and needed some more wackiness. I put this down to the creative team behind the movie wanting to be a little safe for their first outing. Whereas this movie had a much more exciting plot which didn't really need too much crazy antics but it got a whole tonne of wackiness. Clearly the team had much more confidence this time around. I think the real highlight of this movie is the Happiness Hotel located on [i]Cheapside Street[/i] in west London. This is where many Muppets now reside as it appears to be mainly for Muppets that have no money. The hotel is typical old fashioned British manor house that is falling apart at the seams, complete with a rickety old double-decker tour bus. Most of the scene here are easily the best from the songs to the bedroom heist planning sequences. I love how the creative team utilised the building for Muppet hijinks; it's a typical Muppet-esque set scenario. There are plenty of other highlights to mention such as the fun yet extremely stupid robbery sequence at the end. Here the crooks (led by the rather uninspired choice of Charles Grodin) are sprung upon by all the Muppets as they try to steal the fabulous baseball diamond from a gallery. Again it's a typical Muppet-esque sequence that naturally makes no sense at all and has Muppets popping up all over the place despite being in random other places merely seconds before (or not even a part of the movie up to that point). The closeup shots and editing of each Muppet doing something utterly insane is glorious as they play a game of catch to keep the diamond away from the robbers. It's only when you get a revealing wide shot that everything looks stupid (dunno why they did that as it wrecks the illusion). Of course this is a Muppet movie so we have a whole string of cameos again, but this time we actually see a few of the creative team getting cameos. Jim Henson is in a blink and you'll miss it moment. Jerry Nelson and his daughter have a walkon moment, along with Frank Oz and Richard Hunt. Star wise Peter Falk has an amusing and decent sized cameo. Peter Ustinov pops up quickly. But by far the best must be John Cleese along with Joan Sanderson who team up together once again ([i]Fawlty Towers[/i]) to play familiar characters. I think one of the biggest negative points I have to raise here was that gosh darn romance between Miss Piggy and Kermit. They [b]really[/b[ lay this element on thick this time with the frog and pig getting loads of romance time which quite frankly becomes irritating. I've got nothing against frog and pig lovin' but holy felted balls it's in your face. Piggy never stops lusting after Kermit whilst the green one holds back for as long as he can before submitting to her advances. We then get some quite long scenes of slush such as the (now infamous) aquatic sequence with a swimming Piggy which is very well done but kinda stops the movie in its tracks for me. Its all done for giggles of course but my God its vomit-inducing, which is the entire point but...yeesh! Of course the movie is visually dated in terms of both ideas and styles of the time, which adds to the overall old English charm factor. Take that swanky club sequence, the clubs interior, what the feck was that?? It looked like the set of a sci-fi movie. The costumes and makeup are all gloriously top-heavy with early an 80's passion, whilst the sets do generally look like sets...but Muppet sets, which is cool. Not sure about the sequences where the Muppets are thrown out of planes when over the UK and US. Firstly they have to travel in the baggage hold which seems really cruel. And then when the plane is over the destination country a steward comes down and literally hurls them out of a hatch! That always kinda disturbed me as a kid and it still kinda does now. I think overall this Muppet movie is better than the original for the simple fact that the plot is far more engaging...despite still being a bit thin. There is definitely more punch with this movie, a more energetic vibe, more exciting with a small element of risk involved (but not really, obviously). The original movie had more sentimentality I think, this movie is more zany and madcap. It's not the best example of a Muppet movie but I think its probably the best of the early offerings with more colourful and funny sequences. Not forgetting that this movie introduced the new Muppet Rizzo the Rat and his rodent family. [i]'if we wanna get Miss Piggy out of jail we've gotta catch those thieves red-handed'[/i] [i]'what colour are their hands now?'[/i]

• Nov 20, 2017

The Great Muppet Caper is the perfect heist movie for kids. It's got action, danger, spectacle, fantasy and plenty of comedy that adults and children will enjoy. This is one of the few examples I can think of where the sequel is just as good as the original.

• Mar 06, 2017

A Muppet mystery flick. Very few cameos here (the best is Oscar the Grouch) compared to other Muppet movies. Over-plotted, under-whelming and rarely funny or even entertaining. I love the Muppets but this is the least favorite of what I can remember watching. Rating: 6 / 10

• Mar 04, 2017

Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo are flailing journalists who are investigating a series of British jewel heists that somehow involve Ms. Piggy. Along the way, the gang runs through the usual gauntlet of running gags, slapstick, corny jokes, celebrity cameos, and elaborate musical numbers. The Great Muppet Caper is a light, likable mixture of vaudeville ham and impressive puppeteering; the set piece involving the bike ride is one of the highlights of Jim Henson's career. I'd stop short of calling The Great Muppet Caper an all-time classic, but it's certainly one of the stronger Muppet films and anyone with a soft spot for Kermit will find plenty to like here.