The Greatest Game Ever Played Reviews

• Apr 18, 2018

Notwithstanding its derivative moments and predictability, this Disney sports movie sets itself apart with a fresh film-making angle, good cast, and an overdue even-handed perspective on the nature of competition.

• Mar 26, 2018

Inspirational and uplifting.

Inspirational and uplifting.

• Feb 06, 2018

It's not quite my cup of tea when it comes to movies, but it's still enjoyable, and uplifting enough. Leaving me wondering if I should or shouldn't maybe raise my rating up to a solid four stars.

• Dec 29, 2017

A true story well told. Golfers will enjoy this as will any history buff.

A true story well told. Golfers will enjoy this as will any history buff.

• Dec 23, 2017

Fun! Good performances, I really hated those I was supposed to hate and liked those I was supposed to like! Uplifting.

• Oct 14, 2017

A good true story but a bit slow just like the game of golf.

A good true story but a bit slow just like the game of golf.

• Aug 16, 2017

Have watched it many, many times. While the book is incredible I also always watch the movie when it comes on.

• Apr 06, 2017

Far fetched movie about a really young kid who wins the US Open. Period movie from 100 years ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Back when Shia was humble and not a jerk.

• May 17, 2016

Loved this move, watched it many times

Loved this move, watched it many times

• Nov 29, 2015

Great sports-drama. The (mostly) true story of the 1913 US Open Golf tournament. In particular the lives of the two main protagonists, the legendary Harry Vardon, the first superstar of golf, and the unheralded Francis Ouimet. Shows what lead them to that event, and their personal drivers and demons. An exciting telling of an actual event. You're kept on tenterhooks until the very end. The backstories are interesting too. Solid performances from Shia LeBeouf and Stephen Dillane in the lead roles. On the downside, this is Disney, so some of the characters and plot are dumbed-down for kids. The villains are stereotypical, predictable and one-dimensional. Some occurrences don't make complete sense, especially from a golf perspective and have been changed for dramatic purposes. Fortunately, Disney doesn't overdo the stereotypes and dramatizations, so they don't detract from the movie too much.