Green Card - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Green Card Reviews

October 5, 2016
Generally more intelligent and interesting than the films its compared to, but still a trifle in the astonishing Weir catalog.
August 11, 2016
American girl and French dude get married for convenience factors and guess what? They rob a bank and hold a bum hostage. No silly, they fall in love, it's a cliche romantic comedy.
½ August 5, 2015
This movie was cute, but just cute. I could never see these two together. Half of the plot, with all the lies and confusion, didn't make sense. It could have been done so much better.
January 18, 2015
Comedia romà ntica de Peter Weir o cuando te casas con un completo desconocido , la volvì a ver despuès de años y veo que no ha envejecido , estupendos Gerard Depardieu y Andie McDowell.
½ April 23, 2014
the story is paper-thin, especially since we see the 'wedding' before knowing anything about the characters. This could be intriguing if well done - but simply makes no sense until later. The film as a whole is saved by several things - the performance of gerard depardieu who manages to put depth into a shallow role, the comic vignettes by various character actors playing the concierge and the committee in charge of the apartment building - and bebe neuwirth as andi mcdowell's friend who just lights up the screen with her sparky presence in the few scenes she's in. If she'd been in it any more she's have stolen the film from andi mcdowell who is gently appealing but rather lacklustre
January 20, 2014
I'm surprised that I've never heard of this one. Mr. Depardieu is hilarious as usual and Andie is impossible not to love. :)
½ October 26, 2013
3.0/4.0

Sweet tale of Brontë Parrish, a horticulturalist (Andie McDowell) who marries French illegal immigrant Georges Fauré (Gerard Depardieu in his English language debut) for him to get a green card and for her to get a New York apartment she has been dying for with a beautiful garden. When immigration knocks on her door asking questions, the two have to stay together and learn about each other. Predictable fare elevated by two likable leads (especially Depardieu) with unlikely chemistry and a smart script by director Peter Weir. Nominated for One Oscar: Original Screenplay.
½ August 6, 2013
Directed by Peter Weir, who at the time had just come off the critically acclaimed drama Dead Poet's Society (1989). Here, he wanted to do something quite different, a light and fluffy film. Only slightly based on Weir's time living and working in America, but it was also a chance to work with Gérard Depardieu, who was just about ready to crack America (briefly) at that time. In New York, Brontë Parrish (Andie MacDowall) is a keen horticulturist who has found the perfect flat with it's own garden. Only one snag, it's for married couples only. At the same time, she's introduced to Frenchman Georges Faure (Depardieu), who has found the perfect job in America, but he needs a Green Card to get it. So Brontë and Georges agree upon a "marriage of convenience", in order to convince the immigration authorities, they have to appear to be in love with one another. Which is difficult when they hardly know each other, plus the neighbours in the flat are suspicious, but Brontë and Georges soon get along. Weir does well with this slightly amusing comedy of cultural clashes and there is the odd bit of farce thrown in for good measure. It's not 100% perfect, but Weir was perfectly entitled to do something lighter after a lot of serious films, and Depardieu does well in his first American film.
July 11, 2013
De las primeras comedias románticas en su tipo que recuerdo
½ April 18, 2013
A pretty terrible film. First of all, the story is a tired one...even for 1990. Two people get married so that one can stay in the country. Blah. Then there's no chemistry whatsoever between the leads nor is there much of an attempt to portray them as falling in love. This makes the ending totally unbelievable. Where's the romance? Where's the comedy? How can this be called a romantic comedy?
½ April 11, 2013
I have had a lifetime of hype for this movie, as I seen tons of previews and ads for this on VHS back in the day, so I always wondered how it was. So after years of waiting I checked it out not expecting much but it was surprisingly good. It was a late 80's/1990 Bohemian version of a Rom-Com and it was a unique little film. A lot of people hate this movie because of Gerard Depardieu calling him "Ugly and Nasty" but I found the guy to be extremely likeable and rootable, even a force of nature in a few scenes. No wonder he won the Golden Globe for this, he was good. Andie McDowell also gave one of better performances in this movie, as well as Bebe Neuwirth, best known as Mrs. Frazier. The directing was solid and the music was different than most films, not popular music of the time but new age type stuff (ex: Enya). I Recommend this film easily, even if your like me and not a fan of Rom-Com's it is an enjoyable little flick.
½ March 30, 2013
It's very hard to take a love story between an oaf like Gerard Depardieu and a total fox like Andie MacDowell seriously. I can only suspend disbelief so much.
March 4, 2013
"Green Card" comienza como una cómica improvización de un matrimonio falso, pero su predecible trama arruina el resto de la película.
February 23, 2013
The only movie you will find Gerard Depardieu sexy. I hum just by watching the cover. The plot moves a little slow but, what the heck, this is a chick flick. Chicken soup for the soul.
January 15, 2013
Engaging romantic comedy.
½ January 11, 2013
I'm in-between with this movie. While I liked the story and there were some scenes that were brilliant, there lacked a certain something in this film. That being said, I certainly think it's recommendable to rom-com lovers.
½ January 4, 2013
Sweet and entertaining romance, interesting story, Depardieu, 90s ! There's no big twists, but it's just fun to watch. A positive film.
December 7, 2012
Not the black card??????
November 27, 2012
The ending makes my heart ache..but in a good way