Gregory's Girl Reviews

• Oct 04, 2019

great movie...funny and touching. a real gem. see it...preferably a subtitled version if one is available....the scottish accents are pretty heavy but understandable.

• Oct 03, 2019

Full disclosure - I haven't seen Gregory's Girl since it was new. But I remember it with great sentiment. It's one of those movies that I always ask movie-loving friends about. Bill Forsythe movies were always quirky and charming with a great deal of heart and this one has all of those qualities. I can't wait to see it again!

• Oct 01, 2019

Great 80's movie about growing up.

Great 80's movie about growing up.

• Jul 29, 2019

Breathtakingly boring. A pretentious arty low budget film that doesn't manage to stoke up nostalgia.

• Jan 03, 2019

I love this film. I love the hair styles, I love the fashion, but most of all, I love Clare Grogan x

• Jan 20, 2018

Painfully slow throughout and you presume the story is going somewhere and going to build into something but goes absolutely nowhere. This movie leaves you with dissatisfaction, frustration and bewilderment at its inflated rating which I can only postulate is the result of sympathy and pride that a movie from Scotland was exported beyond Scotland, which I presume is a wonderful country despite this flat and incomplete film.

• Feb 19, 2015

Excellent coming of age story set in Scotland. Funny, original, and missing all of the ridiculous trappings of American teen comedies. The film is so offbeat that it takes a little while to get into, but it is well worth sticking out for the duration. Ostensibly the story of a misfit teenager who finds himself infatuated with the pretty new female striker on his soccer team, the movie essentially just paints a picture of life in an unfamiliar, yet very engaging place. The acting isn't particularly world class, but John Sinclair does well as Gregory, and he carries most of the film's weight. Even if not incredibly well acted, all of the characters are authentic and charming. I'm not sure this film deserves its spot on the New York Times 1000 Best Ever Made list, but it's certainly an enjoyable movie. Recommended.

• Aug 26, 2014

A wonderful film. It was an early staple on cable so in addition to seeing "Gregory's Girl" in the theater I have also had the pleasure numerous viewings on tv. The sweet pain of adolescence and first love are handled with an almost impossibly light and innocent touch. The Scottish town where the story takes place is more Brigadoon than Camden, NJ. Take that Carmine Polito! Stop reading this and watch the film already.

• Aug 24, 2014

This is a delightful film about the joy, pain and confusion of the teenage years. I saw it when it first came out and, having seen glossy Hollywood High School movies like Grease, it was totally refreshing to see real youngsters like me on screen.

• Aug 12, 2014

Reminds me of a Napoleon Dynamite kinda feel. I think the film really hits you at the end but without that touching end it's just kind of a mediocre film. The main actors are very charming and sweet.