Half Baked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Half Baked Reviews

½ June 29, 2008
Stupid comedy but done well. I laugh at this movie all the time.
½ September 16, 2007
A celebrated but ultimately really overrated cult hit concerning a few stoners sleazing away in New York City, and how one of them (Harland Williams) is put in jail on trumped up charges, and how his buddies (Dave Chappelle, Jim Breuer, Guillermo Diaz) decide it is up to them to raise the money through dealing to bail him out. Meanwhile, Thurgood (Chappelle) meets a woman and struggles to keep her from finding out that he smokes a lot. It starts out likable and entertaining but ultimately becomes super predictable while only supplying a couple laughs here and there. In the end, it really is not worth your time, although you do see signs of Chappelle's genius from a young age, but this should have been maybe an extended SNL skit and that's about it, not an hour and a half movie.
½ December 6, 2012
An inconsistent comedy written by the greatest stand-up comedian of all time, Dave Chappelle. At times, it's hilarious -- at others, not really. But in the end, this is a self-deprecating comedy with a plotline that only a person strung out on weed could come up with. I'm a huge fan of Chappelle though so I caught a lot of his style of comedy within the mess. I had a good time; it's just not well made or directed. Could've been better.
May 8, 2011
Thurgood Jenkins: So, now we all live together in New York. I myself, am a master of the custodial arts. Or a janitor, if you wanna be a dick about it.

"Warning: this movie may cause the munchies, cotton mouth, and memory loss!"

Half Baked is a movie that works to the degree it does because of the always hilarious Dave Chapelle. The movie is nothing revolutionary, but it is funny. It's a stoner comedy, so you know what you're getting yourself into. The film is best watched under the influence of the cannabis, but because of the police and marijuana prohibition I had to watch it this time completely sober. I know, sucks right. Still, I enjoyed it, while noticing that it wasn't nearly as good as the previous twenty times I had watched. Hmmmm... I wonder why.

Four stoner friends live together in a New York City apartment getting high everyday. When one of the friends goes to get munchies and accidentally kills a police horse, he is sent to prison. Now, the three remaining friends are left in charge of trying to get the bail money to get him out. In order to do so, they start selling weed from a research facility and selling it.

Do I recommend this movie? Yes and no. If you smoke weed, used to smoke weed, or for some reason just love stoner comedies; then watch it. You should find a certain amount of enjoyment in it. If you have never smoked weed, are under the impression that weed is "bad", or hate stoner comedies; stay far away from this one. I've already heard too many people bitch about how stupid it is. Of course it is, toke up and free your mind to the lovely world of stupidity. Then you will be ready for Half Baked.
November 8, 2011
Half Baked was one of the first stoner comedies that I have seen, and though since then, I've seen a lot of the films in this comedy sub genre, Half Baked still remains a fun comedy classic. Dave Chappelle makes this film fun to watch, and the other actors starring opposite him are just as nuts as he is. Half Baked is one of the best stoner comedies that you can see and it is simply a fun comedy with a good cast guaranteed to make you laugh. Aside from Cheech & Chong Still Smoking, Half Baked is one of the best stoner comedies, only to be outclassed by The Big Lebowski. Still, Half Baked is a good film and if these films are your type of humor, then this is a must see. Dave Chapplle has never been funnier Half Baked may not be perfect, but it definitely has enough quirky comedy for it to make it a must see film. If you love stoner films, you owe it to yourself to check this one out. The cast starring opposite Chappelle are funny, and there are plenty of memorable scenes to enjoy in this film. Half Baked is the perfect comedy to enjoy with friends, and is a funny film that might even make people who don't normally like these types of comedies, laugh. Half Baked is a fun film and is one of Chappelle's funniest roles (aside from his show). Half Baked may not be a flawless comedy, but for what it is, it certainly is a funny film guaranteed to make you laugh. Half Baked is simply put, good fun and with Dave Chappelle in the film, how can you not laugh?
½ September 30, 2011
Dave Chapelle doing what he does best, acting high and talking about weed.
April 12, 2007
Dave Chapelle is the king when it comes to stoner comedy. I love all his stand-ups and the show he had on Comedy Central. As for this movie, it ain't too bad either. Some of the timing is a little off in places, and the script could have used some brush-ups, but all in all, it's quite funny. Keep your eyes peeled for cameos by Snoop Dog and Bob Saget.
½ May 27, 2010
This is, hands down, one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen, but I can say that it had me laughing my ass off a few times. That being said, a few scenes that makes you laugh, cannot make up for a film relying on breaking a man out of prison by selling drugs, to be good in any way. This film was mildly enjoyable, and frankly, was quite boring, but when it was funny, it was funny! The title Half-Baked says it all, from being stupid, to funny, to outrageous, and slapped on screen, ones liking for this film can go either way. I just barely liked this film, and I am not recommending it, but I had a little fun!
September 8, 2010
4 stars
½ March 27, 2010
I can't really say that it's the worst movie ever made or that it's the dumbest movie ever made. Why this movie fails is because it thinks it's being smart and clever. I it was honestly made to say why smoking is for complete morons and everyone who does it is probably like Dave Chapelle or Jim Breuer. It's basically second rate Cheech and Chong, but it doesn't allow itself to be fun. It's almost uncomfortable to watch at times because of the horrible attempt at being relevant.
½ April 23, 2007
Despite its popularity, I'm not a huge fan.
May 16, 2008
It's a stoner episode of The Chappelle's Show. Not a classic, but still memorably funny in it's own right.
August 16, 2008
Effed up.
½ June 28, 2008
"You have smoked yourself retarded"

A must see for Dave Chappelle (and Steven Wright) fans. It's funny and doesn't pretend to be a masterpiece. Some very good scenes and characters like Sir Smoke A lot make this a fun ride. Look thru the end credits for an announcement by the cast...
½ October 18, 2007
Parts of it are funny, or was when I was a stoner in high school.
½ August 24, 2007
Funny azzzzzzz XD
½ May 31, 2007
½ March 4, 2007
I'm giving this an extra half star for Sir Smokez A Lot LOL. He made me laugh.
January 9, 2007
can i be a guy on the couch
½ November 15, 2006
This movie taught me to never listen to my dumb buddies when deciding what comedy to see. Disappointing.