Half Nelson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Half Nelson Reviews

April 23, 2018
not really sure, what the point of the movie is, not worth watching.
½ April 9, 2018
A unique teacher film that does not look to tackle the typical story tropes of the genre. Its about a flawed man who tries to fit the mold of the teacher helping the inner city kids out but he sees the reality of the situation. Probably one of the more realistic portrayals of this situation and fits right in with director Ryan Flecks other great indie drama Sugar which shows the real side to minor league baseball.
February 11, 2018
Gosling, is there something you cannot do?
January 17, 2018
Every character is incredibly nuanced and helps create a powerful, rich story that could have very easily felt preachy or forced.
December 25, 2017
There were about five minutes worth watching padded with pointless meaningful glances that would have embarrassed a spaghetti western. As tiresome as it was self-righteous.
November 26, 2017
This is a very honest and realistic view of a lot of things. It talks about the hardships of battling with drug dependency and protecting those for whom you care about. It also touches on being somewhat of a hypocrite. Meaning that, your trying to protect someone from a family member because he sells drugs but then that same person your trying to protect them from, is the person you buy your drugs from. It's a very real look at life. Almost too real for my taste in movies. But it's important that we watch movie like these to remind us that it could happen to any and all of us. There's some very heartbreaking scenes in this movie.

Overall, very impactful movie and something that we should all introspect on because there are people that are going through this same exact thing.
November 7, 2017
Heard it is one of the best movies of the year,
October 31, 2017
I could relate to it so much. I could relate to the depression. To the selflessness. To the spirit of overcoming. To getting help from the most unexpected sources. Loved it.
½ October 9, 2017
Easily carried by Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps' charms, wit and powerful performances.
October 8, 2017
An impactful insight that might be to stale for some, not for me. It?s subtlety could be alarming but just watching the facial expressions and the scarce lines of dialogue exchanged somehow gets under your skin. It?s down to earth quality is what makes it so realistic and emotionally tender. Far too surreal to see how far Gosling has come.
½ September 25, 2017
Ryan Gosling gives a great performance as a struggling teacher looking for purpose and how to inspire his students. The film is shot in a handheld way that makes you feel like you shouldn't be seeing any of this.
September 25, 2017
A rewarding, convention breaking, and often painful drama following a teacher and student.
½ September 2, 2017
Gosling and Epps where absolutely amazing but other than that the movie didnt have a whole lot going for it
February 2, 2017
I really loved this film. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it. It's honest and portrayed so well by the whole cast. However it's all pulled together, by at that time in his career a young Ryan Gosling. There are projects that actors do so they can get to the projects they can't yet. Gosling was more or less a good actor at the time and I think he hit a home run in terms of the the trajectory of his career by choosing to deeply commit to such a character. He's flawed, lonely, confused, heart broken yet pathetically beautiful because he at the very least has one moral piece to him. He may drown out his true self constantly with drugs but it's ironic that he says a few times through out the film that one thing doesn't make a man yet the only thing that holds him together is the opportunity to hopefully change someone life. The beauty that gosling brought to the character is what his ability to say so much with out saying a single word of dialogue. That's what makes him a fantastic actor. Drive is the perfect example of that ability. I highly recommend this film it's shot very well. There was so much that I got out of not seeing them talk about that were deeply rooted issues but by the character responses in body language and facial expressions it said more than any written script or set could have brought to the table. Once again proving that films like this will always be more honest and respected than huge budget films it's not for a pay day but for why we love films.
January 1, 2017
Half Nelson was a film that I couldn't see myself watching again because its gritty truth and slow pace don't make it all that enjoyable at its surface. However it is a good film, Ryan Gosling was terrific and fully deserved the Oscar nomination and the rest of the cast delivered as well. In terms of the style of the camera work, I understand that it is supposed to make you feel immersed into the film as if you were there but for me, it was distracting from the scenes that I was watching because it was so annoying.
½ December 11, 2016
It's pretty good even when sometimes it feels like there is too much going on for a tree character movie. It's basically race and drugs but it expands to life achievement, educative system, social injustice, family and others.
December 11, 2016
Good acting but a little cliche in parts. I also didn't care for the documentary style of filming.
½ September 25, 2016
Perfect nap material
½ June 12, 2016
Brooklyn New York. Try not to notice the gentle camera shake throughout. Music by Broken Social Scene
February 15, 2016
Buen cine pero, insustancial. En cualquier caso, merece la pena solo por la actuación de Ryan Gosling.