Half Nelson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Half Nelson Reviews

½ September 2, 2017
Gosling and Epps where absolutely amazing but other than that the movie didnt have a whole lot going for it
February 2, 2017
I really loved this film. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it. It's honest and portrayed so well by the whole cast. However it's all pulled together, by at that time in his career a young Ryan Gosling. There are projects that actors do so they can get to the projects they can't yet. Gosling was more or less a good actor at the time and I think he hit a home run in terms of the the trajectory of his career by choosing to deeply commit to such a character. He's flawed, lonely, confused, heart broken yet pathetically beautiful because he at the very least has one moral piece to him. He may drown out his true self constantly with drugs but it's ironic that he says a few times through out the film that one thing doesn't make a man yet the only thing that holds him together is the opportunity to hopefully change someone life. The beauty that gosling brought to the character is what his ability to say so much with out saying a single word of dialogue. That's what makes him a fantastic actor. Drive is the perfect example of that ability. I highly recommend this film it's shot very well. There was so much that I got out of not seeing them talk about that were deeply rooted issues but by the character responses in body language and facial expressions it said more than any written script or set could have brought to the table. Once again proving that films like this will always be more honest and respected than huge budget films it's not for a pay day but for why we love films.
January 1, 2017
Half Nelson was a film that I couldn't see myself watching again because its gritty truth and slow pace don't make it all that enjoyable at its surface. However it is a good film, Ryan Gosling was terrific and fully deserved the Oscar nomination and the rest of the cast delivered as well. In terms of the style of the camera work, I understand that it is supposed to make you feel immersed into the film as if you were there but for me, it was distracting from the scenes that I was watching because it was so annoying.
½ December 11, 2016
It's pretty good even when sometimes it feels like there is too much going on for a tree character movie. It's basically race and drugs but it expands to life achievement, educative system, social injustice, family and others.
December 11, 2016
Good acting but a little cliche in parts. I also didn't care for the documentary style of filming.
½ September 25, 2016
Perfect nap material
½ June 12, 2016
Brooklyn New York. Try not to notice the gentle camera shake throughout. Music by Broken Social Scene
February 15, 2016
Buen cine pero, insustancial. En cualquier caso, merece la pena solo por la actuación de Ryan Gosling.
January 29, 2016
The mature, hard hitting "Half Nelson" features Ryan Gosling in peak dramatic form.
½ December 18, 2015
So amazingly depressing, I can't even.... All the stars come from the performances....
November 20, 2015
Gosling tour de force.
½ October 9, 2015
Ryan Gosling has become synonymous with decent films; respect to him for being choosy and not auditioning to be the next spiderman. In this he's a teacher with a good connection to his students, one of which he befriends. The film is actually about this girl and her struggles. Good story and good performances.
½ September 28, 2015
Inspiring and heart-warming, this movie features a great performance from Ryan Gosling (who was nominated for the oscar that year).
With its powerful romantic sides as well as its dark sides this story can really touch you deep inside.
½ September 18, 2015
Depressing but well acted especially by Epps.
September 13, 2015
A story about addiction and inner failings Half Nelson is a great heartwarming story backed by two first class performances.
September 7, 2015
Beautiful and educational story, if you can tolerate the druggie stuff. All well that ends well? Ryan Gosling does always a good job in his roles.
½ August 5, 2015
Gosling's performance is top-notch, as would be expected from him. The film is weighed down a bit by the tired plot about a drug addict battling his personal demons, but the strength of the characters and performances, as well as the sharply-written script, carries the movie along at a moderate pace.
June 13, 2015
Great performances , Ryan G plays a vulnerable believable character
I did feel slightly disappointed at the abrupt ending . However a good film
April 19, 2015
One of Ryan Gosling' s best works. The other is Drive.
½ April 14, 2015
Beautiful performances from both Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps. Gosling even got an Oscar nomination.