Halloween II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween II Reviews

August 29, 2017
It may not be directed by the legendary John Carpenter like its predecessor. It may not have the same suspense, unpredictability, or scares as its predecessor. But Halloween 2 is just a continuation of the first film and has the same great cast, characters, performances, and story as the first great film. It is still written by John Carpenter as well. I do agree though that all sequels beyond this movie are not necessary.
½ August 15, 2017
Like the Friday the 13th movies, I will be giving my review based on itself as a movie, and based on how it stacks up against its sequels/prequels. I have not yet seen all the Halloween movies, so I won't give my ranking yet or my score based on how it is against the rest.

As a movie itself, this movie was a surprisingly great sequel to a classic film. A 7.2/10 for me.
½ August 9, 2017
8/9/2017: Lame! Was this considered good in the early 80's? Boring and a giant waste of time. After watching the first two films, how did Michael Myers become such a popular icon? The movies are horrible and, based on the ratings, only get worse!
½ July 20, 2017
I thought it was an amazing sequel with decent acting and a good story. It still brings the scares. I dont know why people hate Halloween 2.
½ July 1, 2017
It hits most of the usual horror movie cliches and is definitely not as good as the first, but it's still an enjoyable continuation of the '78 classic and is a decent conclusion to the Halloween franchise (at least it should have been).
June 18, 2017
O terro aparece quando o tempo passa e você se pergunta: então era só isso? Isso é o grande Halloween II? Halloween abalou o planeta mas a mim não! Fraco, tedioso e maçante! Afinal de contas por que Michael Myers não morre? Além de louco varrido e psicopata o cara é imortal, essa historinha não me desce a garganta e esse filminho não é vil.
June 12, 2017
As far as horror sequels go, Halloween II is a success in its own right. After a near-perfect film like Halloween, expectations for Halloween II were extremely high. Even though it isn't at the level of its predecessor, it's still not a bad film. However, it's a very simple and focused film. It retains the thrilling atmosphere of Halloween, yes, but it also forgets why Halloween even happened. Halloween II feels almost pointless.

The movie's motive is forgotten. It will still entertain and scare, but that's only because it doesn't try to be as good as its predecessor. Halloween II was trying to be an okay sequel to a masterpiece of a movie, and it succeeds in doing that. Ultimately, Halloween II achieves its goal of not being a total failure, but sadly never attempts to reach the height of Halloween.

The scary atmosphere and drawn-out, somewhat clever, chase sequences are great. The characters as individuals are diverse and play a true role in the film. Each character has their own conflicts, most commonly the Michael Myers conflict. They're like real people, which is good, considering that characters throught this series, and other horror series', become no more than pigs to slaughter for the killer him/herself. The movie doesn't feel cliche, either. Yes, the kills are a bit rehashed and the plot isn't all that different, but Halloween II manages to retain some of the best aspects from Halloween, mainly its unpredictability and chilling, signature, mood. It's so fun to watch this movie, and one of the greatest reasons to watch is just to predict the order of which Michael will inevitably murder just about every character.

Also, Halloween II adds a bit more imagery than contained in Halloween. The imagery here is quite meaningless and up for interpretation entirely, but it adds even more to the atmosphere of the film. Halloween II, in doing all of this, somehow manages to be probably the most emersive Halloween film to date. The fact that the movie takes place on Halloween night, right after the events of the original, with hightened stakes, and the chilling realization that Michael is nowhere to be seen after the finale of Halloween, is indescribable. The most accurate statement to describe this film would be to call it really fun and festive. Its one of the best scary movies to watch on Halloween night, just for its festivity.
May 24, 2017
I give it one less star than the first Halloween
Because it does become the typical slasher movie.
I give it 4 stars because I look at it as part of the first movie.
Watch 1 and 2 back to back, on Halloween.
May 15, 2017
Just as effective as the first. As good as sequels get. More gore than in the first thats for sure. No idea where the negative reviews come from
April 3, 2017
It fails to live up to the original, but Halloween II is still just as scary and intense. The kills are just as brutal, and Michael Myers is still terrifying. Donald Pleasence brings the same subtle strength to his performance, and the final showdown is expertly done.
March 27, 2017
A great follow up to it`s 1978 predacessor.
March 2, 2017
The film equivalent to an expansion pack, picking up right where the first left off and offering an hour-and-a-half's worth of suspense and bloodshed for slasher hounds to savor.
February 27, 2017
Stranding its familiar faces and fresh blood in the always horror-friendly hellscape of a hospital short on population, Halloween 2 builds on its iconic predecessor's legacy with a shocking character-driven twist, menacing suspense and a hearty helping of increased gore.
February 5, 2017
One of the better movies in the Halloween franchise.
½ February 3, 2017
I rolled my eyes for most of its duration time, now it hurts. Even though John Carpenter wrote it and someone else directs, the style of filming is almost ok; the flaws are structural and embedded in the writing. Continuity problems in the unfolding of the first 20 minutes, then lack of imagination for the rest. The construct of a ''horror hospital'' movie should have been interesting, but misfires. What's its point? Dont have kinky ''dirty nurse'' sex ? Imitations did it better. And hospitals are NEVER empty, a fact even horror story have to acknowledge. Even a sequel doesnt warrant this level of contempt for the material. Same night? then dont suddenly get jamie LCs hair all curled and groomed, shes in a hospital and all her friends just died. To hear the writers, they were treating it like gold: Really? Then why does it feel like a task? The actors directing ... They look like they were forgotten on the set with no script, pushed in front of the cams with the knife on their throat.. Director AND writer obviously knows the drill by heart, and made it nothing but a drill. So many good elements, so pitifully little coming out of it.
February 2, 2017
Bad movie. Despite utilizing some of the successful aspects from the first film, the film has no solid plot or character development, resulting in a repetitive and uninspired sequel that features solid performances from Curtis and Pleasance.
½ January 17, 2017
it ain't great but its a solid squeal the the 1978 classic well the film takes place in 1978 but the continuation is alright. This 1981 squeal has taken right after the events of the first same plot, same characters, same killer. However the film has good enough kills, haunting setting, and a good cast to make benefit from how its missing its info from the original 1978. First off SPOILER SPOILER Loomis shot Micheal 6 times in this he shot him 7 times! he even says it in this movie! Always trust the first. Next a good thing about it is today its an iconic setting for horror movies such as "The Ward" carpenter did later in his career and "Session 9" which was well presented. However it can be awkward at times the film is enjoyable and solid to its previous installment. 3 1/2 stars 73%
January 16, 2017
First One Was Better This MOVIE was Okay But I Really loved the first movie I should watch it maybe on Next Halloween That would be good Like The first movie is more like a Halloween Film Then This Movie HALLOWEEN 2 But This Movie Was Good. GOOD JOB JOHN CARPENTER HAVE A COOKIE WAIT ACTUALLY Did John Carpenter Even Direct This Film CRAP!
November 23, 2016
I loved this one not better than 1 But it is spectacular
½ November 20, 2016
I originally saw this with a group of friends in high school. We were very excited given how frightening the original was. But this was pretty much obvious and slasher film trope territory. As I recall, we all ended up bored with the film and it hasn't improved with age. The script should have been sent to this hospital setting dead on arrival.