Hanna - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hanna Reviews

½ June 5, 2017
There's not a lot in Hanna that is new or original. It is a straightforward film about a girl on the run who is trained to be a killing machine. There are a few reveals in the movie about who Hanna is that don't add much to that basic plot, and also were familiar plot points. Echoing stories of the past isn't always a flaw, but usually you want it interpreted in a unique or interesting way. I'm not sure they did that with this movie.

I think Hanna is elevated a lot by Saoirse Ronan's performance. She is superb at playing innocence with those big eyes, but can also be intimidating and scary when she needs to be. Eric Bana was also great in his sequences. There was some heart behind his character that worked as a nice contrast to his tough-as-nails exterior. Care Blanchett made a horrible choice to try on a southern accent. It was in and out through the whole movie. Otherwise she was excellent as the primary villain.

The action sequences were done really well. It felt authentic despite the fact that you knew there was choreography in it. I also loved the shot selection, it helped to make it clear what was going on in all the fast-paced action. There were some amazingly beautiful shots in the slower moments, too. There was just one moment that drove me absolutely insane because it was set up all wrong and all I could think was "Why didn't anyone catch this?!"

I have to hand it to Joe Wright because not many directors could transition from the kind of dramas he worked on into this kind of action film. While it might not have been built on the most original script, Hanna is a movie that I had fun watching. There were two sequences in particular that I found very memorable, and that final shot (and dialogue) was a great payoff framing the film in just the right way. Hanna may not be an all-time favorite but it's quite well made.
½ May 31, 2017
It's a strange, European version of Bourne that fails to truly grip or thrill in any tangible way.
½ May 9, 2017
A tight and exhilarating Bourne Jr., without the why and how that tends to bog down the contemporary action thriller. The Chemical Bros. eclectic score is still in regular rotation years later as well.
April 11, 2017
Not typically my type of movie but got hooked on this movie. Hanna character is so awesome. Stylistic at times, then other just attention getting scenes with great suspense. Replay type movie for me.
March 19, 2017
Loved it as much then the first time watching this 5 years ago ... one minus for killing the Reindeer , Not a boring moment ! SOMBLUR
February 12, 2017
Good start, but it lost momentum halfway through. Worth a look, however.
January 22, 2017
Jason Bourne-style character but female and young. Great movie!!
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 26, 2016
I was immersed and what a world to be in, like literally I was in the movie.
½ December 20, 2016
Don't mess with Hanna! Great music by the Chemical Brothers. I could see the video game and fairytale aspects of the movie described by the critics. However, I am adamant that the critics and viewers have seriously underrated this movie.
December 2, 2016
This average thriller with tones of fairy tale features stylish editing and an electrifying score, and it is particularly efficient in the exciting fighting and action scenes but not so interesting when showing the character's adaptation in a world she only knew via an encyclopedia.
October 16, 2016
The first half is rather slow and mildly captivating but definitely succeeds in exciting the viewer's interest. The second half is arguably superior, mostly thanks to the pumping action sequences. Saoirse Ronan makes for a very good lead and practically carries the film on her shoulders. The ending, part-lazy and part-pretentious, was a disappointment, but overall "Hanna" is a worthwhile film, its questionably successful attempts to juggle different moods balanced by the notable thrills.
August 16, 2016
"Ti ho mancato il cuore".
Livello di badassismo molto alto, da parte di tutti.
E c'č Cate Blanchett, perciņ va visto comunque.
August 8, 2016
Move over Frankenstein's creation, Hanna is a far more emotionally engaging monster!
June 9, 2016
I don't really know how I feel about this movie...I guess I was expecting the movie to be very different from what it actually is. I expected more female assassin stunts action...like from the movie Salt...but this movie focused more on the character development of the main lead Hanna. Slowly learning about who Hanna really is is quite interesting indeed. Overall still a great action movie.
½ May 12, 2016
Despite its dire need of some polish, "Hanna" gains a special uniqueness from its recycled premise.
April 16, 2016
Part action thriller and part coming-of-age drama, Hanna sounds like a film that shouldn't work, which makes it all the more refreshing and surprising that it actually does. Those two storytelling types couldn't be more different, but the way Joe Wright manages to blend them together in this film is quite fascinating, and makes for a rather compelling story. In a way, it's also very dreamlike: between the plot with hints of fairy tale elements and the European settings that often fell secluded, the film has a very unique flair that not many other films have captured. Wright captures the action smoothly, with a standout sequence being a single take tracking shot and eventual fight scene with Eric Bana's character. The strongest point of Hanna is, well, Hanna herself, played by Saoirse Ronan. Seventeen-year-old Ronan completely holds the film on her shoulders, and balances the "hardened assassin" side and the "girl learning of the world for the first time" side of her character perfectly. Cate Blanchett is also fantastic as the antagonist, a kind of role she doesn't seem to play often enough. She's ruthless, and completely fun as a result. There's not anything else quite like this one: Hanna is truly unique.
April 15, 2016
just kind of alright.
½ February 21, 2016
Caught me slightly off guard by how good it was.