Hannah and Her Sisters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannah and Her Sisters Reviews

March 26, 2017
An unbelievable cast in an extremely complex portrayal of a truly dysfunctional family.
March 23, 2017
Cukup sulit untuk mengerti film ini dengan hanya menyaksikannya satu kali. Saya perlu dua kali untuk menyaksikan film ini dan baru benar-benar mendapatkan feel yang sebetulnya dari ceritanya. Tanpa Allen, film ini mungkin hanyalah sebuah drama biasa. Tetapi lewat Allen, komposisi komedi yang disertakan cukup mewarnai kisah Hannah dan saudari-saudarinya yang digambarkan cukup realistis.
March 13, 2017
A perfect Bergmanesque existential artsy upper-middle-class New York slice-of-life dramedy. Woody's finest!
½ February 5, 2017
A movie that works best with a specific audience (Woody Allen's audience), but doesn't suffer in the outlying demographics.

On a deeper level, this is simply a really great comedy about distrust, insecurity, the yearning for belief, marriage, and the consequences of our choices.

Also, you could sit me down in front of those performances by Woody Allen and Diane West for a further three hours, and I wouldn't complain.
½ February 4, 2017
"How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't even know how the can opener works". Something about Allen's brilliant neurosis is like an oddly warm blanket to me. Here, he creates such a wonderfully simple little universe to spend time in here, as he captures the delusions of people in affairs with poignancy, hope, & (duh) humor. He even plays with the camera more than usual to great effect. If Bergman ever dabbled in screwball comedy, Hannah & Her Sisters is what we would get. Top-tier Allen.
½ January 2, 2017
I saw this Woody Allen movie for the very first time. It's a breezy flick in the sense that it flows effortlessly from story thread to story thread. There's a depth to the story and the characters, which still resonates after nearly three decades. The entire cast is excellent, especially Michael Caine and Dianne Wiest. Both actors won best supporting Oscars for their performances. Allen also won an Oscar for his script. This is a very satisfying movie that pays off right up to the final shot.
December 31, 2016
There's still this sense he's trying to figure something out rather than making new patterns out of stuff he's already done. I love this film
½ December 29, 2016
This movie has been one of my to - watch for some time. Glad I finally got to watch but not as great as I had hoped it would be. I always love Woody Allen ' extensive dialogue - ful movies though.
December 2, 2016
What makes this film so special and unforgettable - right there with its flawless structure, impeccable direction, three-dimensional characters and phenomenal dialogue - is how Woody Allen is won over by such a surprising amount of optimism, and the result is just perfection.
½ November 27, 2016
I believe that some films are made simply to be delightful and insightful in equal measure, and Woody Allen's masterful, yet simple, "Hannah and Her Sisters" is one of those rare films. I couldn't tell you why precisely, but this movie just plain works.
September 19, 2016
I have limited experience with Woody Allen movies, so I had no idea what to expect here. Hannah and Her Sisters delivered a whole bunch of drama. It's family drama, relationship drama, and even health drama. Allen tries to put a humorous spin on some of it, which works only sparingly. I often have frustration with movies of this style because it is seemingly just a bunch of scenes loosely tied together with no plot. Things just happen, people change, and relationships adapt but there seems to be no point to it all. It accurately reflects how real relationships can sometimes work, and I liked that they showed the juxtaposition of what we think versus what we do. The conversations were authentic, and the acting was sincere, but the story was aimless. I think the movie is intended more as a look at what real life is like, and that's why it was both stressful and boring. There are some scenes that kept me engaged, and I did have enough interest in the characters to wonder where they would end up. I think some people will really enjoy Hannah and Her Sisters, but it's not going to be the general public. Sadly, I tend to have a more simplistic, "general public" taste in film. The lack of a cohesive through-line in the script to bind the multitude of subplots together left me cold and uninterested.
July 19, 2016
"-A week ago I bought a rifle, I went to the store - I bought a rifle! I was gonna, you know, if they told me I had a tumor, I was gonna kill myself. The only thing that might-ve stopped me - MIGHT'VE - is that my parents would be devastated. I would have to shoot them also, first. And then I have an aunt and uncle - you know - it would've been a blood bath."
June 4, 2016
Oh boy. This one is tough. People have so many separate lives. Bad things impact good people without them ever knowing sometimes. Great movie, awesome cast!
½ May 3, 2016
I am a massive fan of Woody Allen, because of Woody Allen's creativity and his hysterical characters however, i am not a fan of Woody Allen when he makes a melodramatic, not funny, romance movie about a love-hexagon starring a whole bunch of actors and giving himself a supporting-supporting role.

I love his movies because of him, and ''Hannah and Her Sisters'' (1986) barely had Allen himself in it, and in fact, the only scenes i thorougly enjoyed were the scenes starring Allen. The rest really wasnt that interesting in my opinion, it's just a sappy romance movie about a love-hexagon between 6 people over 2 years, and it is not that funny, nor does it have any interesting characters, except Allen's and Max von Sydow's.

All in all, ''Hannah and Her Sisters'' (1986) is a fine film, but i expected more from Allen. Some consider this one of his finest films, i consider it a big disappointment.

Sorry
March 15, 2016
The best of the movies where Woody Allen plays his overused neurotic Jew from Brooklyn.
March 9, 2016
I liked this Woody Allen quite a bit. It tells a few different stories that I enjoyed and the cast is great. I think that this older film is very good, but I think it didn't live up to my high expectations as I heard this was one of Woody Allen's best films and it's good, but I didn't love it. Overall this is a very solid Woody Allen film that I enjoyed.
October 30, 2015
Set in Woody Allen's tremendous setting of New York, Hannah and Her Sisters fits the Allen mold perfectly on a level of romance and family dramedy.
October 26, 2015
Another star studded Woody Allen classic.
½ October 25, 2015
Enserio Michael Caine no recibió el oscar que gano por esta película por que estaba ocupado filmando una de las peores películas de la historia ?? Que mal :'I