Reviews

• Nov 22, 2021

The Muppets did this so much better. Eddie plays the yet another ‘deadbeat' dad who pays more attention to his work than his family only to be thrown into a situation where he transforms or something like that. The thrills were cheap and none of the fun from the ride was captured in this family friendly halloween movie adaptation. What 13 year old has studied Latin for 3 years anyway?!

• Nov 14, 2021

Based on the theme park attraction of the same name and starring Eddie Murphy as a real estate agent that gets caught in a ghostly plot. For a horror/comedy I was not scared nor did I laugh during the run time of this film. Even the jump scares did nothing to me. The script does nothing to allow Murphy to utilize his improv comedy style. The ending is not satisfying and I'm not even sure what triggered the downfall of the villain. I did appreciate the references to the theme park ride, and there were many including some hidden Mickeys. Just like with the Country Bears, I think there is potential for a good movie based on this ride, it just isn't this one, skip it!

• Nov 09, 2021

Disclaimer: This is a children's movie which means adults are not its target audience. This movie has low ratings because all of its reviewers are adults. (To be clear, I am also an adult - an adult with taste.) This movie will serve as a great introduction to horror for your kids. it's low on the scary scale and honestly quite funny. The musical score is wonderful and most of the CGI is pretty good. The movie's actors were well chosen and the cast is very racially and ethnically diverse with a Black family leading the film and actress Jennifer Tilly playing the mystical Madame Leota. Also, what may be the most important part of this film is the lesson it teaches children about racism. Please watch this film with your children. You honestly won't regret it.

• Oct 06, 2021

Apart from pirates of the Caribbean Disney has not done well giving their most beloved theme park rides the big screen treatment and this is no exception the entire evers family was horribly miscast Eddie Murphy is funny and witty as always which doesn't fit the creepy horror vibe his jokes are way too corny I love the idea of a haunted mansion movie I just wish it had been better executed hopefully the upcoming remake will fix this movies flaws and do this classic theme park ride some Justice

• Oct 06, 2021

A fun haunted house movie for all ages.

A fun haunted house movie for all ages.

• Sep 28, 2021

Simply an enjoyable flick for my mother and I to enjoy.

Simply an enjoyable flick for my mother and I to enjoy.

• Sep 20, 2021

As Child: 7/10. 76/100. | Now/Adult: 7/10. 70/100

As Child: 7/10. 76/100. | Now/Adult: 7/10. 70/100

• Aug 25, 2021

Not a great movie thus my *2* star rating!!

Not a great movie thus my *2* star rating!!

• Jul 24, 2021

Originally opening at Disneyland in 1969, The Haunted Mansion was one of the last Disney theme park attractions overseen by Walt Disney himself. Two years later, a similar one opened in Walt Disney World. Originally it was going to be a run-down building, but Walt rejected the notion of a worn building in his brand new theme park. A trip to Winchester Mystery House — filled with straits to nowhere and doors that opened into brick walls — put Disney and his team on the right path. The dark ride is one that has its own fans who obsess — and rightly so — over the history and multiple versions of the attraction. After Disney's death in December 1966, the opening of the ride on August 12, 1969 finally brought numbers up to the theme park that has his name on it. When you talk into the main room and hear the voice of Paul Frees intone, "When hinges creak in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candle lights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight…" you know that you're in for a ride unlike anything else. I am notorious for not enjoying theme parks and I've gone through The Haunted Mansion multiple times. Following Tower of Terror, Mission to Mars, The Country Bears and the Pirates of the Caribbean series, this would be the fifth Disney attraction to get a movie of its own. Written by David Berenbaum (Elf, Zoom) and directed by Rob Minkoff (the co-director of The Lion King), it opened to near-universal scorn. The film stars Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers, who along with his wife Sara (Marsha Thomason) runs a real estate business. He barely has time for their kids Michael and Megan and even sells a house instead of meeting his wife for their anniversary. To make up for it, he suggests a vacation before the occupants of Louisiana's Gracey Manor ask him and his wife to help sell their gigantic home. The real reason they are summoned is that the lord of the manor, Master Edward Gracey (Nathaniel Parker) believes that Sara is the reincarnation of his long-dead wife Elizabeth. Yet for some reason, everyone else in the house — including Wallace Shawn as Ezra — is afraid of his butler Ramsley (Terence Stamp, who as always deserves better). Eventually, Ramsley threatens the children and forces Sara into marrying Gracey before her husband returns to save them all and reveal the truth of what happened on the day of Gracey's wedding. As interesting and exciting as the original ride is, the movie is pretty lifeless. In an odd choice, it's based on Phantom Manor, the version of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland Resort Paris, instead of the more familiar versions of the attraction. It's also funny that Eddie Murphy had a routine about how he'd leave a haunted house immediately when he was a young and vital standup comic, but by 2003, he was willing to sleepwalk through this film. But hey! Jennifer Tilly is Madame Leota and that has to count for something!

• Apr 11, 2021

Call me crazy, but while I am not as big a fan of the final act, I still very much like this movie.