Hawk the Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hawk the Slayer Reviews

January 15, 2017
It was soo bad, but great! I mean, it was cheezy, cliche, silly, campy, and overdramatic, but rather enjoyable. Cool sets and backgrounds which I appreciated, and that score ha, beauty. But it was embarrassingly sucky, though entertaining. Amazingly bad acting and effects, which of course added to the charm. At least it was short. Some rather funny moments. Ending was anticlimactic and disappointing.
September 16, 2016
An atrociously bad 'bad' film that in my opinion basically makes very little sense at all.

Jack Palance is the evil lord & his only rival is a disgraceful adult playing the Hawk the Slayer.

Tragic dialogue & sub standard editing, this film is truly a train wreck.
½ July 4, 2016
Low-budget D&D movie wins with camera-trickery and that amazing disco-soundtrack keeps you wanting more.
April 9, 2016
You either love this film or hate it. A cult classic 'Sword and Sorcery' film made on a $2 budget!

One of my personal favourites!
February 5, 2016
I'm not sure but this could of been the acorn that sprouted the idea for the titles in the Conan flicks, bare with me. There was a sequel intended for this film that would have been called 'Hawk The Destroyer' (1981), so you can see the obvious similarities with film titles going on here. Probably a coincidence admittedly but I also think this could of been the first swords/sorcery/barbarian type of film that jump started all the rest during the 80's.

This is a hard film to review truth be told, its extremely dated and by the looks of things they didn't have a huge budget to play with. The whole thing is a mixed bag as you would expect being a very old fully British, possibly cheap, production. There's a bit of a Tolkien and Dungeons & Dragons influence about the film if you ask me, the plot is your average sword n sorcery affair with a hero trying to avenge the death of his father and love at the hands of an evil warrior (his brother). The evil bad guy wants the power of the mindstone which his brother (the hero) has power of, so he kidnaps an Abbess to lure him. The hero forms a small band of warrior friends...a giant, a dwarf, an elf and a human peasant, the hero himself being a human of course. Each of these men have unique skills in combat with a big hammer mace thing, a whip, a bow, a crossbow and a sword.

When I say a Tolkien influence I only mean as far as the characters and fantasy locations, dare I say a certain Mr Jackson may have pinched some visual ideas for Legolas using his bow at lighting speed from this film?. When you see Crow the elf battling there is definitely a similarity in concept that's for sure, although the visual method used to achieve this in this film is pretty crude naturally. Mind you this elf is so damn fast with his bow and arrow there is virtually no need for any other heroes. Other characters aren't made up with special makeup or prosthetics, the giant is played by Bernard Bresslaw who was a tall man, the dwarf is played by a short actor (not a little person), the elf has a small amount of prosthetics for his ears and that's it. But as far as monsters and dragons etc...this film has none of that, its actually a very grounded fantasy which I think leans more towards old English folklore and possibly a touch of wicca and paganism.

The musical score kinda typifies this if you ask me with a very odd mix of styles. At times we get this typical 80's pop fused with electronic synth (I think) that to me sounded like melodies from an Abba album! needless to say I don't think this score fit the film. Other times there is a much better softer score using more traditional instruments to create this olde worlde fairy-esque sound that would suit an old English fable to a tee.

I hate to say it but I couldn't help but snigger at some of the things on display in this film. Like I said the visuals are weak, it looks like they've filmed everything in some local woods and shrublands just behind Pinewood studios. The sets are very obvious, very small and tight and sparse on detail, hair styles are still very much 1970's, some costumes are OK where as others look like they've cobbled anything together and I'm pretty sure they retrace their steps with locations a few times. The only expenditure appears to be the use of that swirly double ring thing that was used in 'Superman' as a force field to trap General Zod and co.

The other thing that is highly amusing is the fact the big bad evil tyrannical baddie is played by Jack Palance...and even in this film he's old!. This guy has no special powers or weapons, he's just a badass apparently but you don't really buy it frankly. He has a nasty burn on his face so he wears a nifty helmet but that's it, he doesn't look intimidating at all. Mind you the hero is pretty bland himself, he barely talks, looks boring, but he has the mind power to wield his magical sword combined with the mindstone...not that it makes much difference really, just means the sword can float to his hand.

I don't want to give this film a low score because despite the dated visuals, cheesy ass fights and effects it does look like people have really tried to make an effort here. It does come across to me that the crew have done their best with the little resources they had which deserves kudos. It is very easy to just churn out any old loin cloth fantasy crap by just tossing in a few blondes with big boobs to attract an easy male audience and slapping in some blood and gore. But I think effort was made here and it does show. A cult film long forgotten, thou should seek it out.
½ January 22, 2015
good in a really really awful kind of way
May 29, 2014
Probably a contender for the Best Shite movie ever. A dizzying mix of Dungeons and Dragons, the Magnificent Seven, British Screen luvvies and the late Jack Palance.
SEE Hula Hoops or Sorcery!
WITNESS Violence against baked Goods!
MARVEL that the arcane uses superballs and wind machines can be put to!
GOGGLE at the quick fire Elf!

Truly, this is shite of a different calibre- SciFi Channel Take notice!
½ February 4, 2014
If the 80's gave us anything it was a string of really bad low budget fantasy flicks. This is either very good or very bad depending upon when you first saw it though nostalgia can't save this turkey.
½ November 26, 2013
An Excruciating Painful Film To Watch. This Cult Classic Is So Bad, It's Good In Some Places. A Painful Fantasy With A Horrible Ending.
August 17, 2013
Suuuuper cheesy, but for a low budget sword and sorcery movie, this was fun! The plot was generic but the characters made the story more interesting. I am very into late 70s/early 80s fantasy e.g., Ralph Bakshi's 1978 LOTR film, fantasy artwork by the Brothers Hildebrandt, early D&D, etc. I think this movie is very much a product of that time , so it feels dated. But, that's why I liked it , if that makes any sense. Not a film for the casual viewer. But, if you're into that corny late 70s fantasy vibe (am I the only one?) , you should check It out.
August 9, 2013
On Sky at the moment, has to be one of the worst films ever made! Terrible acting, pathetic special effects, laughable story and above all totally inappropriate music.
February 19, 2013
Chicken the slayer has a great soundtrack.
½ November 23, 2012
Fantasy land and lore galore! One of those hidden gems in movie history, well ok, maybe not a gem, but at least it's a spec of dust. I saw this movie back when I didn't care about movies, but what it was about, the fantasy the magic, but now, it's a flop.
August 23, 2012
All critic who hate Hawk the Slayer are a diehard Krull fanboy.
May 21, 2012
A terrible fantasy film with random specks of imagination and humour.
½ April 24, 2012
Written by Terry Marcel and Harry Robinson, (the former directed it while the latter produced and composed the film), this is a very cheesy swords and sorcery fantasy, done on a shoestring budget as well. Despite a game, spirited cast, it doesn't entirely work and some of it drags as well. Set in some medieval fantasy land, it has the evil Voltan (Jack Palance, hamming it up), killing his own father (Ferdy Mayne) after his father refused to give Voltan the last elven mindstone, before he dies, the father gives the stone and a magic sword to his other son Hawk (John Terry), who avenges to kill Voltan. Some time later, Voltan has attacked warrior Ranulf (W. Morgan Sheppard), who finds shelter in a nun's convent run by Abbess (Annette Crosbie), but Voltan gets there, kidnaps Abbess and holds her to ransom. So, Hawk and Ranulf, along with giant Gort (Bernard Bresslaw), elf Crow (Ray Charleson), dwarf Baldin (Peter O'Farrell), all brought together by a mysterious sorceress (Patricia Quinn) team up to bring down Voltan and save Abbess. It's a very silly fantasy film, done on the cheap, mostly in a wood across the road from Pinewood Studios, the special effects are a bit on the ropey side, and it has a good supporting cast including Shane Briant, Harry Andrews, Patrick Magee and Roy Kinnear. But, a bigger budget might have helped.
½ January 31, 2012
Before Lord of the Rings, there was this Sword and Cheese Classic.
December 6, 2011
Surprisingly good, if now somewhat dated. Enjoyable adventure, with more than a little darkness.

Jack Palance steals the film as an excellent villain, but the ensemble is generally pretty good.

Probably one of the best fantasy films before the recent Lord of the Rings trilogy
September 29, 2011
I'll get punched by Bill Bailey here but......Hawk the slayers rubbish!!!!!
August 25, 2011
A hilariously good bad old movie!