Hell and Back Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hell and Back Again Reviews

½ June 28, 2016
6/27/16 Sundance Doc Club
Whether a documentary or a scripted film we are constantly shown the craziness of war and our attempts to bring our brand of democracy and order to a f..ked environment. It is a tribute to our everyday soldiers that they persevere and go back into the belly of the beast 3,4 5 times. The physical scars are evident but not always the emotional ones. This film tries with pretty good success to show both. Thankfully, this country can produce the class of people this movie portrays.
January 16, 2016
Thank you Secretary Kerry, Secretary Clinton and President Obama for negotiating nuclear peace deal with Iran.
½ May 15, 2015
Bad non-life threatening leg injury
Guy not dealing with that or with not being in charge all the time too well.

Bit too lax / scary with his gun too at home ( though obviously well trained on gun safety too ).

Real nice film quality visually, beautiful shots.

Good to see the communication going on between the locals and the U.S. Army. Trying to help people stuck in the middle.
February 27, 2015
Very deep and eye opening documentary about not only a life changed but a marriage changed by an injury in war. Amazing raw footage as well as aftermath after returning home and beginning the healing process. You really feel the pain he's going through. Makes you think about how many lives are affected by the war and how sad it is. Especially for the people caught in the middle. Wow. Sobering.
½ December 11, 2014
Very good filming and cinematography. But, some of it seemed unrealistic (the home scenes), and overemotional. But, it was a pretty good portrayal of war and the negative effects of it.
December 7, 2014
this is an inspiring movie to see what American military have to go through when they come home ...hell
April 5, 2014
Strong and stark, Hell and Back Again won't let war fade to black as Sft. Nathan Harris returns to the States from Afghanistan. The interweaving of battlefield and home-front dramas as well as the tedium of both lives brings war into a sharper focus than their more cinematic stereotypes.
March 18, 2014
I was captivated by the intimate views of Afghanistan's front lines, however the stateside sequences were much less interesting.
½ March 7, 2014
Sad that this feels like such a common, known story
½ January 4, 2014
The documentary starts off with a thought provoking contrast. We land in the middle of a deadly Afghan war scene, only to see the marines' family reunion in America shortly after. This contrast suggests the frightful incompatibility of these scenes, and hints at the question of how the marines cope with this.

During the story of Nathan back home, our point of view shifts from time to time to the Afghan war scene. These suggest the flashbacks that Nathan experiences.

Ironic scenes from Nathan playing Call of Duty confront the viewer with the barbarity it is of reducing war to an enjoyable video game.

The strongest moment in the film features one of Obama's speeches touching on the Afghan war. The film suggests the ridiculousness, emptiness and idiocy of Obama's idealized speeches about war, and subtly subverts it when a wounded and indifferent Nathan comments: "Well, Afgan people aren't watching."

This film suggests that even physically unharmed marines come home profoundly wounded, be it emotional. Nathan's neurotic and unpredictable behaviour makes us question what injury cuts deeper, the physical or the emotional.
½ August 19, 2013
So boring I turned it off Within 20 minutes
July 21, 2013
Documentary is well filmed but puts USA marine in really bad way
½ July 2, 2013
This documentary was just ok to me. The camera goes back and forth between the soldier's experience and then his experience at home. At home it shows his physical disability challenges, and in Afghanistan, his day to day challenges fighting the Talabon. Very sad documentary. Dark.
May 21, 2013
Fantastic! you can feel the energy of war and how it affects injured grunts coming home
May 14, 2013
Hell and Back Again brings the war home in ... More
½ April 13, 2013
Scumbag Americans! Just leave the Afghanistans alone!
½ April 3, 2013
A documentary showing the human side to the marines and the work they do in Afghanistan and at home. It raises a lot of questions, but gives no answers. It also was not as bleak as Hurt Locker.
½ March 30, 2013
Harris said that all he ever wanted to be was a grunt and all he ever wanted to do was kill people. I ended up having no sympathy for his situation at all especially after thinking about the situation of the Afghan people they left behind.
January 30, 2013
War documentaries don't get much more personal than this.