Hellraiser Reviews

• 5d ago

It's passable, if you can call it that. I read the short story and saw this film a few times. What's intriguing is they have this box you solve which will open a gateway into the other dimension. Unfortunately those that come through want to chain you and decompose you. It's a picture of what hell is, is not commendable. It looks like something off a science fiction table mixed in with body horror. Some effects were neat to look at, but the movie is overshadowed with hardly anyone to watch. None of the characters were interesting. But, Kirsty and Pinhead were icons but they aren't given much to do. They are both in about a third of this picture and nothing else. 33% of it is good, and they have bits and pieces that work. But it's so mediocre that you can't tell what to make of it. The characters are trying to act benign but act hateful to each other when they are endevoured to move the plot along. Sort of a waste of time. It barely passed the mark, but just barely.

• Jul 09, 2019

Cheesy, with poor performances from the actors. But it's scary, and smart, and instills terror through the enigma of the Cenobites, revulsion through the not-entirely-pointless gore, and discomfort through the themes of hedonism and sadomasochism present in the minds of the characters. Not to mention the impressive practical effects.

• Jun 22, 2019

This is how you do a one-set locale horror. Cinematography sets a very dark and shadowy atmosphere that you can feel in every corner of the frame. Disturbing, visual masterpiece!

• Apr 29, 2019

Very mysterious. Extremely atmospheric.

Very mysterious. Extremely atmospheric.

• Apr 22, 2019

Best remembered for the makeup and costume design of its iconic monster, Pinhead, Hellraiser is both a vehicle for elaborate makeup effects and a conceptually interesting piece of interdimensional horror. While its slime, gore, and monsters are visually rich, however, its soft focus and star filter heavy cinematography is cheesy and overdone, and its plot, dialogue, and characters fail to fully capitalize on the its intriguing premise. Although these flaws make the film's grisly torture and gratuitous gore less stomach churning than they would be in a less campy film, the lack of a well defined, relateable protagonist makes the plot less compelling that it should be and the film less memorable.

• Apr 15, 2019

strange and different story and visuals, dare i say this film even managed to frighten me from its images and a bit of suspense. good story and creative formidable characters.

• Apr 08, 2019

Ok I'm gonna admit right now this is the first time I've ever seen Hellraiser. Was watching it 32 years after it first came out take some of the gas out of it? Yes I think so. I've always seen the iconic Pinhead (Doug Bradley) amongst the horror icons standing beside Jason from Friday the 13th (1980), Michael Myers from Halloween (1978), Chucky from Childs Play (1988) and more. So, it came to my surprise that he's barely in this dang movie. Anyways, the movie centers around a man named Larry (Andrew Robinson) who moves into a house to help build back some trust with his new wife Julia (Claire Higgins) who cheated on Larry with his brother Frank (Sean Chapman). Little do they know Frank was most recently in the same house solving a puzzle box that unleashed creatures known as Cenobites. The Cenobites maul Frank and cut him up. While moving Larry on accident cuts his hand and the blood dips on the attic floor. Frank comes back as a skinless, lifeless creature and gets Julia (who definitely hasn't gotten over him) to bring him people to kill, so he can get back to full strength. Meanwhile Larry's daughter Kirsty (Ashley Laurence) begins to have visions about her father dying and heads to the house to investigate. There she soon realizes there's much more happening here when she is accidentally transported to the Cenobites and meet's Pinhead who isn't exactly thrilled about Frank escaping their grasps. Ok, so for the most part this one hasn't aged the best. The pacing of the film is quite slow and for the most part this is a pretty simple story. They do add a lot of unnecessary sub plots it seems to a lot of the film (especially anything involving Kirsty's boyfriend), but for the most part its...ok. The gore in this movie is up to 100. It is not for the faint hearted and since this was done with a lot of practical effects it still looks good. I just didn't particularly like this one for the most part. The Cenobites are creepy, but we never figure out why they exactly do these things. Frank could have been a much bigger villain, but having him and the Cenobites share screen time really takes away from it. Kirsty is ok, but she isn't exactly that likeable. She's kinda just in the right place at the wrong time and I didn't care what happened. I know a lot of people like this one and I may be pissing some people off, but watching this 32 years later it's just not scary. It's creepy yes, and the atmosphere is set pretty well, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Mar 09, 2019

A fantastic horror film. This movie is both original and very well done.

A fantastic horror film. This movie is both original and very well done.

• Feb 25, 2019

I get that this is the start of a cult series, but let's be honest. Is it that good? Yes, it's oppressive and scary at parts, but the main character Ashley Laurence cannot act to save her life. She's yelling all her lines. Her lack of acting prowess in this movie took away from any genuine empathy for her as it took me out of the movie.

• Feb 24, 2019