High Anxiety - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Anxiety Reviews

January 21, 2017
Another underrated comedy from spoof master Mel Brooks; this time tackling Alfred Hitchcock's most memorable thrillers. While the jokes don't always land and the references can feel shoehorned in at times, it's still a loving tribute to Hitchcock and his films with some excellent comedic performances.
November 3, 2016
A terrific spoof from Rip-Off Master Mel Brooke's. This time around Alfred Hitchcock is the target & all things suspense.

Brooke's plays a psychiatrist who takes over a Mental Health Day Spa & quickly identifies the staff are more insane than the patients.

Filled with non stop gags this is a great satire on Hitch & suspense. His films are infectious but terrifically low brow.
½ September 18, 2016
Fun, funny little movie made especially for Hitchcock and Mel Brooks fans.
September 12, 2016
Uma das melhores comédias de Mel Brooks.
½ December 22, 2015
I love Mel Brooks' work, hence the film is automatically a fun watch. But as a comedy the film sort of fails in that it's not very funny save from a few key memorable moments. Maybe I haven't seen enough Hitchcock movies and can't pick up on all the references which makes the film's humor lost on me, but even a spoof and parody should manage jokes that make you laugh even without knowing the references. Truly great comedies that stand the test of time aren't built on references alone. Case in point, Spaceballs - my favorite comedy of all time, and a Mel Brooks film where a good chunk of the jokes work simply because they are funny jokes in their own right, and not because they reference other movies.

7-/10
August 7, 2015
This movie has a great question: Would Hitchcock be proud? In a sense, he'd probably get a good laugh of all the parodies Mel Brooks has done in this comedic spoof classic. Brooks has written this comedy, dedicated especially to the master of suspense. The story involves a man with vertigo, that is about to run the institution for the very VERY nervous. It seems to be run by a couple of nuts, who seem to want everyone to still be paranoid. It's up to the doctor (aka, its played by Mel Brooks! Applause!) The movie later shows up to be what Brooks does with his movies: makes them funny as hell. This movie is really funny if you've watched plenty of Hitchcock movies. With great casting, such as Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, Harvey korman, and Dick Van Patten, this will be a comedy that most people should cherrish. If you love parody and spoof, this is one you should most definately check out. Classic Mel Brooks, classic Alfred Hitchcock.
August 4, 2015
It has its moments, but this is one Mel Brooks film you can skip.
June 25, 2015
Comedies, maybe more than any other genre, are extremely subjective, and Brooks style of loving spoofs is especially so. As with most of his films, the Hitchock send-up High Anxiety's calling card is complete stupidity. There are definitely some primal laughs (the newspaper scene, the fight), but really too juvenile for me to fully buy in.
June 20, 2015
If a few moderate to minor grievances were ironed out, this picture could very well hold its own alongside Brooks' best films.
June 6, 2015
Maliciously funny, and worthy of paying respect to The Master of Suspense.
½ May 22, 2015
Hilarious spoof of Hitchcock. Some really great gags.
May 13, 2015
78% on my Tomatometer.
May 4, 2015
Not Mel Brooks' best effort. To me this felt lazy compared to some of his better movies. The story is quite thin and he is relying mostly on almost shot-for-shot interpretations of Hitchcock scenes (like the shower scene from Psycho). Worse than that, it's just not very funny. There are some laugh out loud moments but no standout scenes like in, say, Blazing Saddles. The parts with Cloris Leachman and Harvey Korman are more creepy than funny. The only saving grace was Madeline Kahn, who really elevated any scenes she was in.
February 20, 2015
Parodies nowadays do not stand up to parodies like this. This was hilarious and well worth my time.
February 13, 2015
I laughed maybe a couple times or so. I'm a fan of Mel Brooks, spoof films, and Alfred Hitchcock, so I was disappointed that this wasn't better. It may have been well-received back in 1977, but I don't think it holds up very well now. It was mostly pretty boring.
January 29, 2015
The Hitchcock parodies are expertly put together and features a hilarious performance at its core from Mel Brooks himself. Full review later.
½ January 25, 2015
Think of this as among the top of Brooks' silver medal winners. Although not his funniest, in a technical sense it's a high point in his film career.

Never again would one of his films look this good and professional. Turn down the sound and you could almost believe you're watching one of the Hitchcock thrillers it so lovingly jibes. In years to come, Brooks' films would take on increasing elements of home movies, vanity and cronyism.

And I should say, it isn't his funniest but it is pretty darn funny, and the script holds together *as a story* better than any of his films save Young Frankenstein, To Be Or Not To Be, and The Producers.
½ January 20, 2015
Mel Brooks dirigiò en esta parodia a los films de Hitchcock cuando estaba en su mejor etapa creativa a mediados de los 70's.
January 6, 2015
Not as good as some of his other films I've watched, but when the bar is set so high with Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and History of the world part 1, that's hard to beat.
November 24, 2014
has its moments but not Mel brooks best