Hitchcock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hitchcock Reviews

September 27, 2016
Great performances by Mirren and Hopkins.
September 19, 2016
I wish i could tell Mr. Hitchcock that my mom screamed at the "Mrs. Bates' Scene", spent some sleepless nights afterwards, and still fears re-watching it till this very day. Good job, Sir.. and M'am!
½ August 13, 2016
I liked this. Has a great feel and is well-acted.
August 11, 2016
Almost as good as a Hitchcock film itself....well ok but good anyway.
July 12, 2016
The story of Alfred Hitchcock's love life off set of Psycho.
May 25, 2016
The 2 lead performers (Hopkins & Mirren) were perfect, but the film was just average I'm afraid.
May 8, 2016
Better than expected based on the reviews. Both Mirren and Hopkins were excellent.
½ April 28, 2016
Hollywood voyeurism. If this were about a nobody, it would raise hardly any interest as a plot. Unless it were told with more interest and intrigue. I'm glad it is limited to one part of Hitch's career but at the same time the movie doesn't take advantage of the collapsed time.Hopkins' makeup is unconvincing - and distracting. Personally, I wished more had been revealed of composer Bernard Hermann's part in Hitch's success.
April 21, 2016
Having never actually seen the great man from behind the camera, I will just have to go with some guess work. Anthony Hopkins was strictly average and at times the make up didn't quite please me. Having never been an ardent fan of the renowned masterpiece 'Psycho', making of it felt a bit engaging initially. Even more so, I quite enjoyed the shower scene here more than the original itself with Scarlett Johansson making a strong appeal for a scream movie (not that she wants to). The babbles between Mr. & Mrs. Hitchcock was tiresome after a point.

Hitchcock (Anthony Hopkins) has just filmed and released 'North by North West' thus re-establishing him as the master of the genre. When the whole world is watching what Hitchcock would do next, he announces a horror movie about a perversive murderous psychopath and when a young woman crosses his path. Against everybody's vociferous repulsion including his wife Alma (Helen Mirren) initially and no studio backing, the stubborn director makes a movie that the world reels in terror becoming one of his biggest accomplishments.

Hopkins gets it right to an extent as the repulsive, authoritative and tyrannic man. However as the moments pass with obvious emotional sequences go untapped, it more becomes a '60s tabloid feature. Helen Mirren gets a lot of unnecessary screentime and ends up deviating from any other interesting elements that the writers could have bundled. The sound mixing was good in parts and some supporting performances especially Johansson's was particularly good. It feels disappointingly long even with its short runtime and a little undercooked at times. Having never been a fan of Hitchcock's renowned handling of climax, this one came as a surprise to be so flat and to be honest disrespectful of the man.

Not particularly a solid tribute but sure brings some interesting moments
½ March 23, 2016
Terrible casting, make-up and script. I saw Anthony Hopkins the whole time, not Alfred Hitchcock, and Scarlett and Jessica look nothing like the actresses they're portraying. Helen Mirren was the only redeeming feature.
February 21, 2016
An excellent cast brought together to tell the story of the great director's development of his finest work. Regrettably despite all the embellishments the story is not really engrossing and so it's something of an exercise in polished impressions.
February 7, 2016
Hitchcock' was a wonderful experience that I didnt want it to end!
Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren were astonishing as the married filmmaking duo dealing with their relationship becoming rocky during the difficult process of making the film 'Psycho'! All performances are solid.The film puts you under its spell and its fascinating to see the struggles and negativity Hitchcock had to face in order to make a film he believed in and was passionate about. To see his private life behind the scenes and his relationship with his supporting wife Alma was intrigiung.The film was also hilarious! I found myself laughing and smiling more than anything, but there are dark,eerie moments when the infamous Ed Gein story is channeled in to the film! I only wish James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins who played Norman Bates had a bigger role!He was dead-on as Perkins!!! Also, I feel the film deserved to be much longer as I frowned when the end credits appeared!
½ February 4, 2016
A heavily dramatised montage of the moments that went on to make cinematic history and one of the greatest films of our time - Psycho - Hitchcock is definitely more interesting than entertaining. Whilst it hang glides with fantastic performances (no suprise) from Mirren and Hopkins who seem to enjoy doing their very best at recreating Mr and Mrs Silver Screen for the short biopic. Scarlett Johansson also gives a very good performance as Janet Leigh. It resonates Aranofsky at times as Hitchcock seems sure to decline devastatingly into madness at times and the parallel between the director and infamous serial killer Ed Gein is terrifying at times and very surprising. One of the highlights of the film are the resemblances in casting, particularly in Hopkins and D'Arcy who plays the titular villain Norman Bates and the original actor who played him, Anthony Perkins. Definitely recommend this if you are a fan of Hitchcock, but more so if you are a fan of Psycho.
½ January 31, 2016
An interesting look into the life of a complex man.
½ January 26, 2016
A struggles of Alfred Hitchcock during the production of his most famous film Psycho.
January 2, 2016
This just... excites me to no end.
November 10, 2015
What can I say? The best advice I got from film school is to listen to my wife.
October 26, 2015
Great actors doing their best with a mediocre script and too many competing devices.
October 23, 2015
A film every film fan, or film maker should see!