Hitchcock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hitchcock Reviews

January 7, 2017
It wasn't perfect, but gave me a probable sense of the voyeur that he was.....
January 2, 2017
An INTERESTING film about Alfred Hitchcock's life as he was filming Psycho. Hitch had no idea whether it would be a hit or not, and financed himself. Thus providing a catalyst for this film, which focuses on his relationship with his wife. I do like "filmmmaking" movies, and this was entertaining for the most part. Though having Anthony Hopkins playing Hitch was a bit of a stretch.
½ December 6, 2016
An enjoyable look into Alfred Hitchcock's life during the making of 'Psycho', with Hopkins clearly relishing playing the famous director. Mirren is great as his wife Alma, and Johansson is good as Janet Leigh. Plenty of funny moments, with some domestic realism, balanced wit his witty professional demeanor. Great ending to a fun ride.
½ December 4, 2016
Even though there's not much to the plot, you just can't go far wrong when you have Anthony Hopkins playing the lead. Great cast elevates a fairly dour film up to a level of respectability.
November 21, 2016
I really enjoyed the way this was made and Hopkins was good. Mirren is great, as usual.
November 21, 2016
There are books and stories and movies about Hitchcock, but the story told from a relationship we haven't seen before is great. It puts the lives and perspectives of the central characters in focus and makes for a unique and interesting telling. Everyone gives truly moving and honest portrayals of love, passion, obsession, and movie making. It doesn't quite live up to things like Ed Wood or Birdman, but it does make for a fun companion piece to them.
November 20, 2016
Fab movie. Some quite funny bits and the very last scene had me howling. Really good insight into the making of psycho. Really enjoyable if you're a fan of his work. hopkins is incredible.
November 6, 2016
La pelýcula se centra en los acontecimientos durante la filmaci˛n de Psycho y la relaci˛n de Hitch con su esposa Alma. Pudo ser tratada mas cinematograficamente.
September 27, 2016
Great performances by Mirren and Hopkins.
September 19, 2016
I wish i could tell Mr. Hitchcock that my mom screamed at the "Mrs. Bates' Scene", spent some sleepless nights afterwards, and still fears re-watching it till this very day. Good job, Sir.. and M'am!
½ August 13, 2016
I liked this. Has a great feel and is well-acted.
August 11, 2016
Almost as good as a Hitchcock film itself....well ok but good anyway.
July 12, 2016
The story of Alfred Hitchcock's love life off set of Psycho.
May 25, 2016
The 2 lead performers (Hopkins & Mirren) were perfect, but the film was just average I'm afraid.
May 8, 2016
Better than expected based on the reviews. Both Mirren and Hopkins were excellent.
½ April 28, 2016
Hollywood voyeurism. If this were about a nobody, it would raise hardly any interest as a plot. Unless it were told with more interest and intrigue. I'm glad it is limited to one part of Hitch's career but at the same time the movie doesn't take advantage of the collapsed time.Hopkins' makeup is unconvincing - and distracting. Personally, I wished more had been revealed of composer Bernard Hermann's part in Hitch's success.
April 21, 2016
Having never actually seen the great man from behind the camera, I will just have to go with some guess work. Anthony Hopkins was strictly average and at times the make up didn't quite please me. Having never been an ardent fan of the renowned masterpiece 'Psycho', making of it felt a bit engaging initially. Even more so, I quite enjoyed the shower scene here more than the original itself with Scarlett Johansson making a strong appeal for a scream movie (not that she wants to). The babbles between Mr. & Mrs. Hitchcock was tiresome after a point.

Hitchcock (Anthony Hopkins) has just filmed and released 'North by North West' thus re-establishing him as the master of the genre. When the whole world is watching what Hitchcock would do next, he announces a horror movie about a perversive murderous psychopath and when a young woman crosses his path. Against everybody's vociferous repulsion including his wife Alma (Helen Mirren) initially and no studio backing, the stubborn director makes a movie that the world reels in terror becoming one of his biggest accomplishments.

Hopkins gets it right to an extent as the repulsive, authoritative and tyrannic man. However as the moments pass with obvious emotional sequences go untapped, it more becomes a '60s tabloid feature. Helen Mirren gets a lot of unnecessary screentime and ends up deviating from any other interesting elements that the writers could have bundled. The sound mixing was good in parts and some supporting performances especially Johansson's was particularly good. It feels disappointingly long even with its short runtime and a little undercooked at times. Having never been a fan of Hitchcock's renowned handling of climax, this one came as a surprise to be so flat and to be honest disrespectful of the man.

Not particularly a solid tribute but sure brings some interesting moments
½ March 23, 2016
Terrible casting, make-up and script. I saw Anthony Hopkins the whole time, not Alfred Hitchcock, and Scarlett and Jessica look nothing like the actresses they're portraying. Helen Mirren was the only redeeming feature.
February 21, 2016
An excellent cast brought together to tell the story of the great director's development of his finest work. Regrettably despite all the embellishments the story is not really engrossing and so it's something of an exercise in polished impressions.